PDA

View Full Version : near disaster tonight

tlatoani
05-17-2008, 02:03 AM
Mom went boating with the family tonight. She was driving, and just happened to notice that the tower wasn't going to clear a bridge. We stopped about 1-2ft short of smashing into it. I was helping my kids with something so I wasn't watching at all. Fortunately, she is an experienced driver. I don't know what kind of damage that would have done to my baby, but it wouldn't have been pretty. Anyway, now we know to watch that when the water is high. We've had so much rain lately that we've hardly been able to go out.

Had a fun night-wifey even learned how to pull a surfer (me). She had hardly driven a boat before and did a great job.

Buttafewcoe
05-17-2008, 05:30 AM
Hope you got Mom a nice Mother's Day gift!
B

Membrain
05-17-2008, 10:13 AM
I wouldn’t have been so much worried about the damage to the boat as I would getting someone killed or maimed from the tower breaking off and falling onto someone! You guys are very lucky to have a mom like that.

Be safe out there!

c.rix
05-17-2008, 11:15 AM
I also had a near disaster on my new outback yesterday. We were crusing across the lake on 1-2 ft waves. We got to the smooth side of the lake, so I got my board on and noticed the left tower bolt was 3/4ths of the way out and the right side was only hand tight. Not sure if it was because the rough water or they were not tight from the start.

I will be checking those bolts every time I go out now and also have more tools in the boat!

tazz3069
05-18-2008, 08:41 AM
I check all the Tower bolts before I go on the water. I have already lost two of the bolts on different trips to the lake.

tlatoani
05-18-2008, 06:30 PM
Are you guys talking about the bolts that hold the tower to the boat, or that hold the tower together?

tazz3069
05-18-2008, 06:36 PM
the ones that hold the Tower together. I check these when it leaves my garage and just before it is in the water. This is just one of my chores for the boat.

csaj4506
05-18-2008, 07:21 PM
I'm glad to hear no one got hurt as you came up to bridge. I have a good friend who lives at the lake and every year when we visit the first thing he tells about the the water level and height of the bridge.

I remember reading when if first got my boat that the tower bolts are to be checked on every trip. I pulled my bolts and put some lock tight on them. But I still check them every week.