PDA

View Full Version : Dropped my boat off at the stereo shop yesterday

SanMarzano
05-15-2008, 01:01 AM
I cant wait she should be done by friday. Here is what I went with.....Two JL 7.7's on the tower (will probably get another set this year) these are the same ones that MC uses, Alumapro Bandpass Sub (This thing pounds) two Clarion APX490M's, Clarion EQ, and a dual battery with a Voltage Sensitive Relay

Pics to come

tazz3069
05-15-2008, 08:10 AM
SanMarzano--
Let me know how you like the JL speakers. I know they come in white only. I had called them last week, after browsing their website, and found the new syle for 08'. They are black with a different grill. They said that it should be available May 19th.

SanMarzano
05-15-2008, 12:39 PM
Tazz

If your not going HCLD (wetsounds NVS etc) the JL 7.7's are the best. IMO they are cleaner sounding because of the extra mid bass you get. My buddy has four on his MC and they are amazing sounding. They are a little on the big size being that they are a 7.7" cone but thats why they sound so great. My boat is all white so they match LOL

The only thing I have left to do is replacing the stock kenwood speakers in the boat. Im not sure if they are going to sound good plus they max at 45W I put in a powerful amp for the interior speakers so I need to find replacements quick. Either thinking Polks or Bullets.... I wish I could find a deal on the Polks..............

tlatoani
05-15-2008, 04:34 PM
I got polk momos for something like 275 for 3 pair (shipped) on ebay. Just make sure you checkout the seller first. It saves on shipping to buy multiple items at the same time generally. You may find em cheaper-good luck!

I pulled my stock speakers out and they weren't even kenwoods. I was surprised.

tazz3069
05-15-2008, 07:19 PM
San
Try Crutchfiels. They had a special buy one at full price and get the other half off. Also try Circuitcity.com. They had the same deal. Or even try ebay. I have the DB seriesin my boat and love them.

SanMarzano
05-15-2008, 08:45 PM
I just picked them up at Circuit City on sale for $84.99 buy 1 get 1 half price. To bad I only needed 3 sets. Came out to 74 bucks a pair including tax. Looks like ill be doing some work when she gets back from the shop

csmsk
05-15-2008, 11:37 PM
I've never seen that half price deal for MOMOs, only db series. I put six momos in my LSV and love 'em. If I do find that deal, I'll change out the speakers in both my trucks also!

98outback
05-16-2008, 06:34 AM
I also purchased the db651's yesterday for my 98 outback. They were on sale for $84 and some change and then buy one pair get one half off. Since I have a 98 i only needed 4 speakers, not 6.

SanMarzano
05-17-2008, 10:56 PM
Got the boat back- They did a nice clean install Pics to come.... It sound great but I think it needs to be tuned a little better to make it sound perfect. Question---I have two 4 channel amps --1 powers 6 Polk DB651's in the boat and the other powers the sub(bridged) and two cans on the tower. On the 1st amp how would you cross it over? Currently it is set to High Pass at about 115. Would it be better to run the boat speakers at full range? I dont feel like Im getting a lot of mids in the boat. FYI the amps are Clarion APX490M's and a clarion 7 band eq

Thanks

SanMarzano
05-18-2008, 12:54 AM
Here are some pics Sorry not the greatest as I was takeing them in the dark

EQ--The Wire is my Ipod wire into the EQ
http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p158/jg440/CIMG0809.jpg

Sub----As you can see it sit perfectly in the cut out and did not take up any room in the foot well. This thing pounds for its size. I wanted something small and I found it
http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p158/jg440/CIMG0812.jpg

Amp 1 --On the walk through Wall
http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p158/jg440/CIMG0816.jpg

Amp 2--on the back of the bow seat
http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p158/jg440/CIMG0819.jpg

No pics of the tower yet

SanMarzano
05-18-2008, 12:55 AM
Amp 1 Close up
http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p158/jg440/CIMG0824.jpg

Stinger Realy for Dual Batt and Circuit breaker for Amps---Question he just ran 1 breaker and ran the amp leads off the breaker. SHould I have fuses on the amp power wires also?
http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p158/jg440/CIMG0826.jpg
http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p158/jg440/CIMG0825.jpg

New Polks--I did these

http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p158/jg440/CIMG0827.jpg

No tower pics yet

pickle311
05-18-2008, 04:31 PM
The circuit breaker works the same as a fuse, only you can reset it rather than replace it. It will be fine.

As for the crossover, leave it on high pass. If you move it to full range, the low frequencies will distort your speakers at high volumes and blow them. You can bring the cross over frequency down to about 80 hertz and that will help the mids out a lot. You are going to still be missing a lot of the higher bass and lower mid frequencies though because of the bandpass box, that's how they are designed.

Razzman
05-18-2008, 05:00 PM
Did those polks drop right in or did you have to enlarge the holes?

tlatoani
05-18-2008, 06:26 PM

FWIW, my Polk momos dropped right into the back 4 holes but I had to enlarge the front 2 a little bit. It's an 05 XLV.

===
Install looks good!

SanMarzano
05-18-2008, 10:20 PM

They fit right it though I had to drill new screw holes. Took about 30 min to do all 6

SanMarzano
05-19-2008, 12:09 AM
The circuit breaker works the same as a fuse, only you can reset it rather than replace it. It will be fine.

Though I think its a 100 or 150 amp. Shouldnt I have a fuse on each positive wire to the amp? Or will the amp fuses take care of that

Thanks

pickle311
05-19-2008, 09:55 AM
The amp fuses will take care of that. The breaker, or an inline fuse, is there to protect your vehicle, or boat in this case. They are mounted close to the battery in case the power wire gets shorted out somewhere. If it gets shorted, obviously it blows, take it out and you have yourself a nice fire. I've seen it happen.

In the case that something goes wrong with the amp, the internal fuse will blow. Generally, if that fuse blows, the amp is toast anyway. That's usually a direct indication that the power supply has gone bad.

Hope that helps a little.

SanMarzano
05-19-2008, 12:12 PM
The amp fuses will take care of that. The breaker, or an inline fuse, is there to protect your vehicle, or boat in this case. They are mounted close to the battery in case the power wire gets shorted out somewhere. If it gets shorted, obviously it blows, take it out and you have yourself a nice fire. I've seen it happen.

In the case that something goes wrong with the amp, the internal fuse will blow. Generally, if that fuse blows, the amp is toast anyway. That's usually a direct indication that the power supply has gone bad.

Ahh makes sence Thanks so in theory shouldt there be a fuse berore the relay then?

tlatoani
05-19-2008, 12:30 PM
You want the relay connected directly to the batteries. A blown fuse would keep you from charging and you probably wouldnt' realize it...

pickle311
05-19-2008, 09:06 PM
You want the relay connected directly to the batteries. A blown fuse would keep you from charging and you probably wouldnt' realize it...

You are correct.
What would happen is one battery will discharge quite a bit from sitting without the boat running and playing the stereo. Then when you turn the key on, the relay will connect the 2 batteries. When that connection is made, there could be as much as a 5 volt difference between the batteries. The voltage will almost instantly equalize between the batteries. That process happens very fast and moves a LOT of current. It will most likely blow any fuse or breaker you put there every time. Plus it's a very short run and highly unlikely that something will cut into it and short it, especially in a fiberglass boat with not much metal that it can short to ground.

In the car world, you will typically use an isolator and it will have fuses. The ones I have messed with used isolators because they were running up to 12 batteries, far more than an 80 amp relay could handle.

That's enough for now.

cab13367
05-26-2008, 04:26 PM

pickle,

What size fuse should be used to protect the boat? Or does it depend on how many amps are being run and how many watts they put out? My amp wiring kit came with a 100A inline fuse and am wondering if that's the right size?

Thanks,

Al

pickle311
05-26-2008, 10:35 PM
Take all of the fuses in your amps and add those numbers together. Say you have 2 amps, 1 amp has 2 30 amp fuses and the other has 2 20 amp fuses. Then I would use a 100 amp fuse at the battery. I try not to go over that number by too much. If you go less, you take the chance of blowing if your amps ever draw peak amperage simutaneously.

cab13367
05-27-2008, 12:15 AM
pickle,

I have two amps - one has a single 40A fuse, the other has a single 30A fuse. So do you think the 100A inline fuse will be fine or should I try to find something closer to 70A?

Thanks,

Al

pickle311
05-27-2008, 09:57 AM
100A will be fine, but I wouldn't suggest anything bigger.

cab13367
05-27-2008, 06:19 PM
Thanks pickle.