PDA

View Full Version : Several questions one post?

chillyx
05-12-2008, 10:08 AM
Ok here goes. I have a handful of questions, but rather than post a handful of threads I'm gonna try to get all my answeres in one place.

1. Summer blend gas says up to 10% ethanol. Owners manual says no methanol does the sme apply to ethanol or is it safe / do I need an additive?

2.Synthetic oil after the break in period. Good , bad, indifferent?

3. Waxing below the water line. Primarily the part of the boat you can't get to unless you crawl under the trailer. Is it important to wax this area?

Lastely, I know this is going to depend on radio and speaker set up but has anyone wired the tower speakers to the rear outputs and the in boat speakers to the front output so that you could use the fader to control the volume inside the boat when its loud enough for the skier to hear but not too loud in the boat?

Thanks to all who input.

Please advise if I should cut this ito different posts.

ajmoritz17
05-12-2008, 10:22 AM
Source at skiers choice told me not to use synthetic untill at least 100 hours on boat-

I would say wax as much as possible- but i will admit i didnt go under mine this time im buying a creeper for next time.
________
herbal vaporizers (http://vaporizers.net/)

Razzman
05-12-2008, 10:33 AM
I'll try to answer these from experience Chilly.

Ethanol: We've had summer blends in California for years with no after effects at all. 10% isn't enough to cause damage imo.

Synthetic Oil: I've used synthetic after breakins on everything i've owned for the last 10 years including boats, no issues at all that can be related to the oil and the engines do seem to run quieter, especially in my Harleys. I've only used Mobil 1 though so i can't speak for other oils. 100 hours before using seems extreme to me, that's well beyong breakin, i'd check with Indmar on that one.

Waxing: If you can get to it wax it at least 1-2 a year. It helps keep crud off the hull. Look at a boat that hasn't and you'll see what i mean.

Speaker Fading: Use PAC LC-1 (http://www.pac-audio.com/products/productsCatagory.asp?mmSearch=Amplifier%20Level%20 Controllers) switches in line with the amp RCA's and you can then fade the cabin/tower speakers independantly of each other. You'll have issues doing the other way. Here's a great deal on them here: PAC LC-1 deal (http://www.bargainunlimited.net/servlet/the-1228/PAC-LC-dsh-1-LC1/Detail)

04OUTBACK
05-12-2008, 01:18 PM
Speaker question:
Do you have an amp on the tower speaker? I have an amp running my tower speakers and an amp running 4 rear cockpit speakers. Here is how I have it wired:
Front speakers on front channel of stereo - no amp
rear 4 cockpits speakers: on amp
1 Sub on amp
Tower 4 speakers: on amp
Clarion EQS76 eq/crossover... This allows me to fade the stereo where more is on tower and less is on cockpit. I don't know about running all 6 speakers on the front channel of the stereo.. I am a little foggy on the 4ohm/2 ohm issue with wiring paralell and series... I don't think you'll get good sound out of the 6 on front of stereo. not enough power and probably tough on the stereo's amp.
May wanna consider a small amp and the eq.. I love my setup! Even the wife was pleased with the spend!

smokedog2
05-12-2008, 05:09 PM
Why have a quick reply button that refers you to a different reply button? Nuts

Synthetic – yes

Wax – Aero 303 is better IMHO. My 2005 looks new (when I clean it).

Sound – no clue.

AaronWhitt82
05-12-2008, 06:04 PM
Ok here goes. I have a handful of questions, but rather than post a handful of threads I'm gonna try to get all my answeres in one place.

1. Summer blend gas says up to 10% ethanol. Owners manual says no methanol does the sme apply to ethanol or is it safe / do I need an additive?

2.Synthetic oil after the break in period. Good , bad, indifferent?

3. Waxing below the water line. Primarily the part of the boat you can't get to unless you crawl under the trailer. Is it important to wax this area?

Lastely, I know this is going to depend on radio and speaker set up but has anyone wired the tower speakers to the rear outputs and the in boat speakers to the front output so that you could use the fader to control the volume inside the boat when its loud enough for the skier to hear but not too loud in the boat?

Thanks to all who input.

Please advise if I should cut this ito different posts.

Chilly -

As the others have said. I don't think there is enough ethanol in the fuel to cause any problems. I am currently running 93 octane with a pint of sea foam as I just got mine out of storage and want to clean all the old fuel out. Other than that I run 89 octane from Shell or BP.

Synthetic oil is good to run. It is better for the motor and will make it last longer as long as you do the normal oil changes. I just switched from Rotella 15W-40 to Mercruiser Semi Syn 25W-50. Mobil 1 also makes a great full syn oil to consider as well.

As far as the waxing goes..... I wax as much as I can underneath as it keeps all the crud off the bottom and makes it easier to keep clean. I just waxed mine with Wizards Shine Master. It has a breathable sealant and hardly leaves any waterspots. Pretty good stuff!!

As far as the stereo goes I'm not any good in that department.

Hope this helps