PDA

View Full Version : water pump leaking

98outback
05-11-2008, 07:39 AM
I dont think the water pump is bad. If it is bad doesnt it usually leak aroung the pulley? This looks like it is leaking at the gasket. I have a 98 outback with the 5.7 carb. How hard is it to remove the water pump and change the gasket?

Engine Nut
05-11-2008, 10:54 AM
I dont think the water pump is bad. If it is bad doesnt it usually leak aroung the pulley? This looks like it is leaking at the gasket. I have a 98 outback with the 5.7 carb. How hard is it to remove the water pump and change the gasket?

Your engine has two water pumps. One is driven by the crankshaft and draws cooling water from the lake. The other is belt driven and is higher on the engine. This pump circulates water through the engine. The crank driven pump has a gasket and seal that can be replaced if there is a leak. The circulating pump is not rebuildable and would need to be replaced.

98outback
05-11-2008, 06:41 PM
It is the higher pump on the engine. It isnot the lower where the water impeller is. On the top pump it just looks like it is leaking where the gasket is where it mounts up to the engine. It is not leaking around the pulley. So do you think the pump is bad or just the gasket? Thans engine nut

98outback
05-12-2008, 06:25 AM
It appears that according to a clymers manual the place where it is leaking is betweem the recirculation pump and the block. Hopefully changing the gasket will correct this. Anyone know how I can get some part numbers for these items or should i just use high temp rvt.

Engine Nut
05-12-2008, 08:23 AM
It appears that according to a clymers manual the place where it is leaking is betweem the recirculation pump and the block. Hopefully changing the gasket will correct this. Anyone know how I can get some part numbers for these items or should i just use high temp rvt.

You should be able to get those gaskets at an auto parts store. They are the same gaskets that woiuld be used on a 350 cubic inch Chevrolet engine like was used in trucks for many years. Normally when pumps as old as yours start leaking, it is from the weep hole on the pump which is just below the pump shaft. When it starts leaking from there, the pump needs to be replaced.

98 Outback
06-13-2009, 01:55 PM
Can this gasket be changed when the boat is in the water!!!!! Mine is leaking as well.
Darren

gcnettl
06-13-2009, 10:35 PM
yea it can be changed while in the water.

Be mindful that it might be a little hard to get a gasket, simply because auto parts stores look up parts by vehicle, not by motor application. You could try searching online for a part number, maybe someone else had the same issue and did the right thing after they changed theirs.

Usually using a 1996 Chevrolet 350, or sometimes earlier, say a 1994 will yield good results.

I would use a gasket, simply because it is harder to get Silicone to set up properly, and most don't even know how to use it properly.

If you get a paper gasket, I would also get a tube of gasket maker, not silicone but maker, sometimes also labeled as gasket maker and adhesive, and put this on the water pump side, and then put gasket on the water pump side. Let this set until the gasket is on good and install the pump.

Before doing this, ensure you have scraped and clean old gasket area on block.

Since you must pull the pump to change the gasket, I would pull the pump and go to an auto parts store, taking the pump with me. This way you can ensure that you have the correct gasket. While there, check the price of a new pump, and you can make your decision on changing the pump as well based on your judgement. Make sure the new water pump does not have any extra threaded holes in it, as some will, and might would need to be plugged off with a pipe plug with teflon on the threads.

98 Outback
06-20-2009, 10:52 AM
I baught a new one!! Problem solved.
Darren

gcnettl
06-20-2009, 09:44 PM
Glad to hear you are back on the water!!