PDA

View Full Version : Onboard Cooler

Razzman
05-09-2008, 10:36 AM
So yesterday i open up the boat to fix the leaking cooler drain fitting and noticed that there is absolutely no insulation around or underneath it. Moomba advertises in their standard features a "foam insulated cooler". Unless your counting the foam in the seat cushion there is none. :confused:

Anyway were i live we see 95-105 as the average temps from late May through mid Sept. so the cooler is a necessity but even on a 85 degree day the ice melted quick. An extra carry on cooler onboard is a pain with my crew as i need the floor space. Has anyone attempted to insulate their onboard cooler?

The ideal solution would be spray foam in a can but as you can't remove the base it would be a #$#@! to do! I can get all the way around it and underneath but there's not a lot of room. I'm thinking an insulating blanket or special coated foam boards so it won't come apart? Any suggestions out there?

tlatoani
05-09-2008, 12:26 PM
I do the same as Ed. It makes a good trash bin, but you have to watch how you put bottles in there so they don't roll around and break :P

My guess is you could pull the floor up and spray around the cooler from the sides. Someone mentioned this to me for running stereo wires across, but I decided it wasn't worth the bother.

Razzman
05-09-2008, 12:36 PM
Ed, how'd you work in the cooler around the bags assuming you put it in the rear?

Aquaholic
05-10-2008, 01:40 AM
You can take up the floor very easily, LSV right? look under the cushions in the the storage area. There you should see the screws the go in horizontially. The XLV had about 12. My cooler had that sprayed foam they use to fill the voids in the hull. Mine had plenty so did what I had to do and put the floor back down. Spray it with the foams stuff and fill a piece of foil insolation for the lid.

Sled491
05-11-2008, 09:21 PM
Just realize that those spray foam cans don't fill that much volume. You may want to look into another method unless you can get someone who does ot for a living to spray it for you.