PDA

View Full Version : My boat box pile

Aquaholic
05-08-2008, 10:43 PM
There is the box mass I have started to recieve. One more JL and I am ready to get started.

deerfield
05-08-2008, 11:12 PM
Aquaholic - Holy smokes! You got enough stuff to keep you busy for a while. Next thing you know it'll be end of June and you're still installin' stuff. Gotta' post some pics of work in progress and the finished projects. Deal? Oh, and by the way, while I can see you're gonna' like your 23 XLV even more, ain't nothin' better than my '07 Outback. - Deerfield

Aquaholic
05-08-2008, 11:35 PM
Thanks I'm going to need a loan for the install. I have the XLV's covered but i have a long way to go to catch up with ya'll outback'rs.

tlatoani
05-09-2008, 01:51 AM
Looks about like mine :P My only suggestion would be to forget the battery boxes. I thought they were kind of tacky, but mostly they took up a lot of room. I used em for a few weeks and didn't like it. I built a "tower" just inside the storage area. It also holds they battery relay, and has an amp mounted on the front side, and will have the distribution block on the other side.

Then again, I spent a ton of time building it that could have been used otherwise.

ian ashton
05-09-2008, 07:37 AM
Reminds me of my pile! (https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?t=5277)

Aquaholic
05-11-2008, 04:44 PM
I just order my last JL 300/2. Now I have to wait a few days after the holiday weekend to begin the install work. EEERRR I hate to wait...

tlatoani
05-11-2008, 05:32 PM
I'm quite a bit of the way done with my install. How are you going to mount your WS420?

Aquaholic
05-11-2008, 05:44 PM
going to put it in a aluminum face plate. Might Chrome it or might Anodize it black can't decide. Where did you mount yours?? I know am going to put mine of the right. Send a pic of what you have done.

tlatoani
05-11-2008, 07:40 PM
That and the sub box are the main things I have left to do. I just don't know what to do with it. Where did you get the faceplate? The malibu guy on wakeworld?
thanks mate

Aquaholic
05-11-2008, 09:09 PM
I too have thought that behind the drivers seat would be a good place for a sub. Mine for now is in behind the footwell, or in the front right side of the playpen. I also thought that a box built in the area behind the seat and have the speaker cut though and fire at the back of the driver but I do'nt know. I like the area my sub is now, it Hammers, but I want to add another sub. I have a JL 12w6 in a custom box but I don't use it currently because I need another amp. I thought I would put it in the passenger side but I don't think its the best place for sound quailty. Plus having four JL amps and dual batteries is going to eat up a good bit of space.

Shoot a pic of your battery stand

The bracket could come from him but I need to measure my dash area and see how it will attach first. the machine shop I am friends with well most likely do the work but I will see how busy they are.

Post some pic,s I want to see how the NVS's look, I almost when with them over the WS 485's

tlatoani
05-14-2008, 01:21 AM
Damn. I got my 420 connected tonight and I have massive hissing from the tower and main speakers (tower hissing is esp loud). Have you tried yours yet? I emailed a few guys at wetsounds for help. Spent many hours troubleshooting tonight with no luck. It hisses even with no inputs to it, tried different grounds, different RCAs, lowering gains, no mic, etc, etc etc...

I'll get some pics up soon. The boat is a mess of boxes and crap atm :P

If you get a nice bracket I'd ship you some money to get a 2nd made. I really have no idea what to do with it. Let me know if that's doable. Assuming I keep it that is.

Aquaholic
05-14-2008, 02:37 PM
I was told the the voltage on top needed to be turned down alot. mic gain should be down to about 1/4. Are all your components power by the same source, they are suppose to. Your doing the right thing by calling them direct though, they say that they can fix 99 percent of hissing with a phone call.

I have not installed the first thing, boats in another state. I will do it the week after memorial day weekend. I'm going to have some pro's do the install work. I can miss up a wet-dream.

Will do in regards to the bracket. Let me know the outcome of the ws420.

tlatoani
05-14-2008, 05:07 PM
Well, I went to troubleshoot a bit over lunch. I got rid of most of the hiss by dropping the gains on the amps and the eq all down to ~1/3. It sounds pretty good now, and the eq is a nifty toy. Too bad I dont know where to mount it :P It really does need some kind of custom bracket.

The mic is neat, but if I turn it up much at all I get a ton of feedback. I think it's still plenty loud though.

I finally got the sub installed. It bumps pretty darn hard for a smallish sealed box. I store my boat at mom's house (nearby, free BIG garage) and she came out and told me to turn it off because it was shaking the whole house :P

I don't know if you have a distribution block already, but the Soundstream Power Plant is a pretty nifty item.

Aquaholic
05-15-2008, 12:30 AM
Well, I went to troubleshoot a bit over lunch. I got rid of most of the hiss by dropping the gains on the amps and the eq all down to ~1/3. It sounds pretty good now, and the eq is a nifty toy. Too bad I dont know where to mount it :P It really does need some kind of custom bracket.

The mic is neat, but if I turn it up much at all I get a ton of feedback. I think it's still plenty loud though.

I finally got the sub installed. It bumps pretty darn hard for a smallish sealed box. I store my boat at mom's house (nearby, free BIG garage) and she came out and told me to turn it off because it was shaking the whole house :P

I don't know if you have a distribution block already, but the Soundstream Power Plant is a pretty nifty item.

That all sounds right based on what Ive read and glad to hear your rock'n! Why a power block? Plz explain why I need one? Is there another brand you like? I posted on WW to learn as much as I can before i buy something. I have a line on a bracket so hang loose I'll get you one too. I'm thinking of having mine powdercoat silver over a brushed finish like my dash trim pieces. Is there a color or a finish you have in mind? Chrome,anodized,powdercoat, raw polished are your choices, let me know.
What patch/rca cables did you go with?

tlatoani
05-15-2008, 01:55 AM
The dist block provides a power, ground, and remote turn on for up to 4 amps (or another item like an eq/deck) from just one connection to the battery. It also acts as a fuse panel. Your installer may have something in mind already. I think street wires makes another popular one. I find it easier to use something like this than trying to connect 4 different cables to the battery. Plus it saves on power/ground wire costs a bit. There are 2 models, one is smaller than the other. Just keep that in mind when you are shopping-I dont know how many connections you need, or what size wires you are using.

I went with pretty much all knukonceptz (http://www.knukonceptz.com) wires, RCA and power. Their prices are pretty good for the quality. (kind of like moomba eh?)

I will take a look at my dash tomorrow. I think my gauges have chrome rings around them, but I can't remember much else. I kind of like the raw polished look too. Any idea on cost? How will it attach? And will it support the whole unit or just the front? Just curious-I have no idea how to do something like that.

thanks again!

Aquaholic
05-15-2008, 10:14 AM
It will attach with screws up and behind the dash. The factory molds the dash's with fiberglass and they cut out holes to place the switches and stuff. I was going to mount it to the left side of the dash. I will get mine in and give you the feedback. I would for now mount it temporarily because I will have a solution one way or another. Thanks for the gouge on the distrb. box I'll get one on order.