PDA

View Full Version : How to replace my heater core in '06 XLV?

ToddXLV
05-08-2008, 04:34 AM
I took my beautiful '06 XLV out on the water for the first time last Sunday. It was in controlled temp storage thru winter. But I put it in the shop on 4/4 to have some stress cracks repaired under warranty. The boat was in the shop for a month and we had some cold weather and even snow. Unusual for Seattle in April but possible. I never winterized the boat because it was in storage at a consistent 55 degrees throughout winter. I think the heater core froze and ruptured while outside at the dealer while waiting to be repaired? Anyway, I'm liable for that I suppose.

Well now I need to replace the heater core. The shop quoted me $148 for the heater core and 2 hours at $110/hr. So it would be close to $400 after tax. NO WAY! I am not paying that for a simple heater core and 2 hours at $110. I assume the heater core is under the bow seat right in front of the driver side (starboard)? Or is it under the steering column? Is this a easy replacement? How long should this take me to do? It doesn't appear to be too difficult of a task. I know you have to disassemble the dash to replace most car heater cores. This has to be much easier since there is no dash, right?

300 series: Is this the correct heater core? http://www.skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=H-301

Does anybody have step by step instructions on replacing the heater core in this boat? Thanks in advanced for your help. "No worries". Right?

zabooda
05-08-2008, 12:02 PM
I replaced the core on my 98 after it developed a small leak. I remember it as being fairly easy. You need to remove the heater box by removing the water hoses, disconnect the fan wiring (if no electrical connector then you need to cut them for resplicing later), remove heat tubes and remove the mounting bolts. Open up the box and I’m not sure if the box was screwed together or riveted (if rivets then drill them out). The core has a channel that it slides in and out of and remove the core and try to pressure test the core to make sure it has failed. If a new core is needed, get the model number and call the folks at Heatercraft.com and tell them you need a core. Total cost three years was about $80 shipped and I looked for a similar one on the internet (auto heater core) and the cost was about the same. Reinstall the parts the same way the came off and you’re done. The basic heater has a small auto heater core and a fan that is the same that is used in the engine compartment. Very simple.

ToddXLV
05-09-2008, 01:51 AM
http://www.skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=H-301

I bought this one today. I verified with my local Moomba dealer that this was the right unit, 300 series.

I don't have to remove the heater core from the casing because this is the complete unit with the heater core. So I think this should be pretty easy if I don't have to remove it from the casing. But I guess that does save another $40. Well, I already bought it.

So how long did that take you to replace from start to finish?

Thanks for the info, I appreciate it.

volfo
05-26-2008, 04:45 PM
Todd, did you do this? If so, let me know how it went.

I noticed a leak I believe from my heater this year as well. Not sure how it happened. In any event, I took out the heater to look at it and noticed that one of the hoses had a small hole in it. I thought that was the problem, cut the end off the hose and rehooked it up, but it is still leaking. In any event, in my 2001 Outback LS, it is bolted to the back of the "foot wall" underneath the driver seat. Four screws have it unscrewed, then you had to unhook 2 hoses, the 3 air vents and the 2 electrical wires. Total time to get it out should be in the 5 to 10 minute range. 15 to 20 to reinstall probably. If you bought the whole unit, I can't see this taking more than an hour.