PDA

View Full Version : Speaker Interference

08blackmobius
05-07-2008, 11:36 AM
Hi everyone I am a new moomba owner. I just bought an 08 LSV, which I love by the way. Problem is whenever the engine is running I am getting a whining interference through the speakers, very annoying. It does not happen if the engine is turned off, sounds great. Not an elaborate setup, single battery, 6 kenwood speakers, amp, and headunit all factory installed. Has anyone else had this problem? My only thought is a bad ground.

deerfield
05-07-2008, 01:47 PM
08blackmobius - Nope. Don't have that issue with the factory installed system (single battery, 6-speaker, Kenwood) on my 2007 Outback. Hopefully one of the tech smart guys on the web site can suggest a solution, or have the dealer from which you purchased take care of it. - Deerfield

YellowMoomba0
05-07-2008, 04:40 PM
Got to either be a bad ground, or altenator noise which can get picked up if speaker wires are zip tied to close to RCA cables and / or power cables for the amp. I had this happen on a custom installation of my previous Moomba, cut the zip ties and the noise went away. However, if this is a brand new boat with Factory install then I would get the dealer to look into it.

kipp
05-07-2008, 08:53 PM
I have a 2008 ls and have the same problem, when we turn the nav lights on the with the engine running the noise goes away. Factory system + tower speakers & light bar. Dealer thinks it is the ground. My boat is now at our Michigan home 500 miles away , so I'll have to troubleshoot memorial day. Anybody have any ideas other than ground.

newty
05-07-2008, 10:54 PM
Almost always rca's are too close to power/ground/remote. Speaker wires tend not to cause so much noise but it can happen. Make sure the rca's are not closer than 8 inches to any power wires. They can cross each other but only @ 90 degrees. Also just double check all power and grounds at the amps, batteries and block/alternator.
Good luck! Should fix your problem.

zabooda
05-08-2008, 02:23 AM
Most stereos have a filter system but perhaps you need to add one. You can run a small capacitor from the positive connection to ground and a choke coil in line with the positive connection. Your stereo should have a "blob" on the positive wire and that is the coil which only allows DC current to pass through and by adding the capacitor from positive to ground you filter the AC noise to ground. Your local car stereo shop should have units you can add. It shouldn't cost very much.

mvd
05-08-2008, 03:14 AM
No problem on my 2007 LSV (factory installed amp + tower speakers)
I only get this problem when i put the heater on. Then i hear this high pitch noice on the speakers.

newty
05-08-2008, 04:06 AM
The gadget zabooda is talking about is called a ground loop isolator.

08blackmobius
05-09-2008, 11:09 AM
Thank you to everyone for thei input. Nothing but rain here in Indianapolis. Hopefully I can get back to wok on this soon.

Wake Master
05-09-2008, 06:14 PM
I had the same problem with a factory installed system. Solved the noise by running a ground wire from the back case of the head unit to the amp ground so there is a common ground for both. In addition I also seperated the RCA's from the power as they were tie wapped together.