PDA

View Full Version : Your Favorite Wakesurfing Photos....

Jon J
05-06-2008, 06:50 PM
My favorite....surfing at sunset!

Jon J
05-07-2008, 11:50 AM
That's cool Ed.

Here is another favorite. Teaching my son's buddy. We actually managed to keep it going without a rope for a nice long ride. Sure makes weight transfer tricky with an extra 60 lbs that you can't control! Check out that smile! Pure fear & joy in one.

YellowMoomba0
05-09-2008, 09:29 AM
How can you not love surfing

bambam26
05-09-2008, 08:26 PM
Awesome pics, but why is it that not everybody is wearing a life vest? I would hate for my kids to see these and think it is okay to not wear one? Just my 2 cents...........

bambam26
05-10-2008, 01:27 PM
Just wanted the younger crowd to not think it was cool to surf behind a boat without a vest. But that wave looks awesome on that pic you posted!

Jon J
05-14-2008, 12:37 PM
BamBam - You make a very good point! I changed my opinion on the life vest thing shorly after that sunset photo was taken. A lot of ignorance on my part was thinking that if I did fall and bonk my head on the platform or board I figured I'd just float and somebody could fish me out. My wife is an RN and quickly informed me that I would be at the bottom of the lake before anybody could save me. YIKES! Since then, I always wear the PFD as does anybody surfing behind my boat. No acceptions. I live to wakesurf!...just don't want to die doing it! PS: Where are all the pictures? ED - you must have some more!

Here is another...my wife the beer commerical! (no I don't think drinking and surfing is safe either...don't worry it was a light beer....and empty)

Jon J
05-14-2008, 06:01 PM
Those are great pictures of Jeff and James Walker. Have you been out with them? That would be a blast but I doubt I'll get a chance up here in Alberta. Maybe Jeff will bring a wakesurfing event north one day??

I can't get enough of the video on Mike Walker's website (TheWalkerProject.com) featuring Jeff and James. I know that Mike isn't related but there must be something about having Walker for a last name that makes you great....I'm thinking of changing my last name.

On a side note - I bought an F-18 though Wakeoutlaws this winter and had such an amazing experiance in dealing with both Wakeoutlaws and directly with Mike Walker at TWP. Great to deal with such cool people that just love what they do.

bambam26
05-14-2008, 10:32 PM
Man you guys have me drooling!!!!!!!!!!! It is supposed to be almost 90 here on Friday so I am going to finally get the chance to get behind the boat. I grew up surfing so I am hopeful I can pic it up easily...........

Jon J
05-15-2008, 12:17 PM
Ed, that is awesome! I knew that Jeff was the President of the AWA just from reading his posts here and on wakeword.com. He seems like such a champion! Everything he posts is so sincere and un-biased. He seems like the perfect guy to grow the sport. Would love to meet him one day. I should try and convice him to start a Canadian Wakesurfing Associtation and come up here to surf some COLD clear water. The ice should be off this weekend....so I'll dust off the dry suit. In my younger years I'd always ski on our May long weekend in a shorty wet suit. Now I'm wise enough to wear the dry suit for a few weeks.

That's great you sent my quote about the Walker last name to Mike. Like I said, he is one cool guy. I sent an email to a general email box at TWP before I ordered my board and Mike responded personally not once but like 5 times. I promised him that I am going to do my best to get his boards sold up here by our local shops. The selection up here is limited and prices are crazy. ($400+ for a broadcast!). We are just starting to get some better boards available locally from IS and Phase5.

Here is a picture of the custom F-18 board he did for me. We keep our boat in located in "Half Moon Bay" and we alwayd refer to it as HMB, so I sent a basic sketch and they created this:

deerfield
05-15-2008, 07:07 PM
Jon - I like the graphics on your wakesurf board and their connection to where you keep your boat. I would say that's a custom board. - Deerfield

Jon J
05-16-2008, 01:48 PM
Thank you Deerfield! - I am on the way up to the lake this weekend and can't wait to try the new board. I just hope the ice has finished melting. As of yesterday it was 60% gone and it is nice an hot today!

spyder
05-16-2008, 02:06 PM
Thank you Deerfield! - I am on the way up to the lake this weekend and can't wait to try the new board. I just hope the ice has finished melting. As of yesterday it was 60% gone and it is nice an hot today!

Isn't like like 30c all weekend in Calgary?

bambam26
05-16-2008, 11:37 PM
Well I made it out to the lake today and got my first chance to wakesurf, I am hooked!!!!!! I had an easy time getting up but was unable to find the sweet spot, however that did not stop me from surfing well. I was acually very surprised how good I was after so many years away from ocean surfing. My 13 year old daughter got up also on the first try and she had the sweet spot but was not ready to let go of the rope. Pics to follow..........Bambam

bambam26
05-17-2008, 12:21 AM
a couple of pics

bambam26
05-17-2008, 12:26 AM
daughter and her first try on the board

bambam26
05-17-2008, 11:39 AM
So you are going off the ski pylon then? It does seem like it would be easier off the tower. I now will be working on the boat setup, yesterday we had nothing inthe boat except a few small girls while I was out, I didnt fill the ballast or anything. I think that if I set the boat up better I will be able to find the sweet spot easier..........

bambam26
05-18-2008, 12:49 PM
Ed I felt like a teenager all ove again, it was like I was back in HS looking for that perfect wave. I can't wait to do some more and to also try out some different boards.

bambam26
05-18-2008, 06:39 PM
sent you a pm Ed.......

Jon J
05-20-2008, 12:25 PM
Great Pics BamBam! If you love it now....wait till you get rid of the rope! You'll never want to stop.

Your 08 Mobius LS boat is just about identical to my 07 Mobius LS. This being the case, I have a season worth (95 hours) of tweaking the boat set up to get a good curl. Here is a brief summary of what seems to make a decent curl on our boat.

- Wake plate (if you have it) UP all the way
- All Ballast tanks full
- Speed 10 - 11 MPH
- Put everybody in your boat on surfing side (passenger side for you)

If you realy like to wakesurf and don't always want to load your boat with chubby friends...spend the money on some fat sacs and a tsunami pump. I have a few different bags (2 x 250 lbs) and one 750lbs bag. Depending on how many people in the boat I use one, two or three of them. One behind the engine box and one on the surfing side beside the engine box.

Attached is a pictures of our port side curl with the above configuration, 3 adults in the boat, and the two 250# sacs in an 'L' shape around the engine box. Disclaimer, my wife makes it look too easy. They curl looks much different with my 200 lbs body on it.

spyder
05-20-2008, 12:33 PM
Nice surfwave Jon J

bambam26
05-20-2008, 01:49 PM
Awesome wave! I will take your advice and start setting it up that way, I need to make some purchases of sacs as I only have the rear ballast. that wave is sweet your wife is riding!

cab13367
05-27-2008, 12:04 AM
Here's one of my 11 year old son. He makes it look easy, and doesn't need much of a wake to freesurf.

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg276/cab13367/keenan3.jpg

04OUTBACK
05-27-2008, 12:56 PM
Thats awesome Al.. jealous.. I need wake and skills to freesurf.. AHAA

cab13367
05-27-2008, 06:27 PM
Brad,

I'm not there yet. I blame it on the fact that I've not had enough ballast and people on the boat yet for a good, surfable wake for my weight :o) I just bought a 750# surf sac though so I'm all out of excuses. Haven't tried it out yet but will let you know how it goes.

Al

04OUTBACK
05-27-2008, 08:28 PM
last weekend, we had HORRIBLE conditions for wakeboarding, and even for surfing, but we had center full, 750 full and 5 adults in boat... and had a great wave...conditions made it tough to enjoy... I am getting to the point that I can ride with slack a pretty good bit, but there is a little pulsing (losing the wave and getting pulled by the rope..)
JUST NEED more Time! we only put the boat in Sat for a chillin cruise.. just the wife and i and we took no boards.. not the typical sat.. not many boats and light/calm winds...

Typical.. have not taken on the remote yet... scared of the drilling! Have you done yours?

cab13367
05-27-2008, 08:59 PM
Brad,

Yes I have. Have you ever drilled into the gelcoat before? If not, my advise is to use new (sharp) drill bits and drill in reverse, all the way through, even when using the hole saw. This will prevent the gelcoat from chipping. What was tricky about installing the remote on the transom is that the place where I installed it (just above the rubrail), the boat is concave there so it's hard not keep the drill bit from walking. I did fine with the two screw holes but when I drilled the pilot hole for the center, larger hole, it walked up a little. So I had to use the next size hole saw so that everything lined up. Other than that, it was pretty easy. I also used silicone sealant around each of the three holes to prevent any water penetration.

Al

04OUTBACK
05-27-2008, 09:52 PM
I drilled a couple of holes in the glove compartment to install the clarion eq... reverse first and no issues.
what size hole saw did you use? Did you run it in reverse first?
I am thinking I will take a piece of wood or cardboard and run template first to help mark spots...
work and fam have not allowed much play or work time on the boat...

thanks for the help.. gotta take the plunge soon.. oh, where on the transom did you mount yours? I am planning on above the rubrail instead of below..

BW

cab13367
05-28-2008, 01:15 PM
Brad,

Don't remember what size hole saw I used - sorry. I did drill it in reverse, all the way thru. Didn't take long at all.

On my remote, there is a rubber gasket that I slid off the remote - I used it as a template. Not sure if yours has that or not.

I've had the boat out since the remote installation and love it. I remember one time I was listening to the stereo while pulling the kids on the tube and my wife signalled that the kids wanted to stop. So I did and then walked to the ski platform to see what was up. The kids were trying to tell me something but I couldn't hear them since the stereo was still cranking. So I reached down and hit the mute button on the transom remote. Nice!

Good luck!

Al