PDA

View Full Version : Stereo Pros

Hydrofoiljunky
05-06-2008, 04:29 PM
Hey guys, Newbie here, does it matter running different amps or is it a better idea to run all from the same manufacturer. I'm considering getting a pioneer Gm7300 Mono to run a kicker Sub or the Zx300.1amp from kicker? Which way would you stereo pros go? I wouldn't even consider the Pioneer but it's for a pretty good price. Already installed when I picked up my boat was the MXkicker 200.4 amp for the inside back 4 speakers. I'm eventually going to go with some tower speakers, but for now I just want to add a sub. Do I need 2 batteries right now? Can you run two amps off one battery? Should I just get a bigger amp now for the sub knowing that I'm going to add tower speakers at a later date so that I'll only have a total of 2 amps and not 3? Is there anyone that is running 3 amps to power their system? I know I know alot of questions. But I got one more :-) How are the Bazooka subs versus the subs that come in their own box. Particularly I'm looking at getting the Marine 10" Kicker already built in the box. Do the bazookas have comparable bass pushed with the same amp, say for example if I went with the Zx300.1 ? You can rest your eyes now LOL

Chad

tazz3069
05-06-2008, 11:27 PM
Chad--
Welcome to the family. In regards to your amp question. If I were you, I would go with an amp that can power your boat speakers and sub and then get an amp that runs your tower speakers. In my boat, I just finished my system. I am running a Kicker MX700.5 amp for the boat and a Kicker MX350.4 for the tower. It sounds awesome. I would spend the money now and not later. The Kicker 700.5 amp is a 5 channel amp. It has a sub out with a inout control dial. Think of it this way. You only want to do this once and not twice. What I mean is do it right the first time. I bought all my speakers and amps on ebay. I will post pictures next week of the install. They just sent my custom speaker and light bar today. I should get it on Monday. When everything is done, I will post pics of the entire process. This is what I mean by doing it right the first time. What for the pics you will undersatnd what I maean. In regards to the battery question, I have two batteries in my boat. I like running the system when we are in a big group. Same people in here have only one battery. Everybody has a different opinion and situation. I feel comfortable with two batteries. My amps are connected to battery #2. When I am sitting around listening to the music, I set the Perko Switch to #2. When I am ready to go, I set it to both. Just my 2 cents or maybe my 5 cents. There are many members in here, who all have great ideas, who will be willing to send you in the right direction.

Aquaholic
05-08-2008, 11:06 PM
Welcome. I had the same questions. I asked because I wanted to take the less money path. In the end I stayed with the same amp brand, JL. I bought a 6450 first 2 years ago not knowing that I needed or what direction my stereo was going to go. I also have one battery BUT now I am adding more amps so I will need to add a second battery to power all and not drain the battery down for starting. Fix more money. 1 JL 6450 for the 6 interior speakers, 2 JL 300/2 for the tower speakers and 500/1 for the sub. Just commit now that you want a killer stereo system and buy the same brand amps and think how the system can grow. A weak plan now means more money later. I should have done the dual battery at the factory, it would have cost half of what it will be now. I'm on my second set of tower speakers because I used the cheap part of my brain to pick the first ones and was unhappy after I realize I under powered them and they where to small. The fix more money!!
All in all if you don't ask you will never really know but if saving money is your hobby sell the boat now! LOL,LOL I post so pick when it's all done. Good luck with your stuff.

Aqua

Aquaholic
05-08-2008, 11:19 PM
I would'nt do the tubes, sub in a box is going to sound WAY better. Buy a Rockford Fosgate series P2 12" sub and a 350 to 400 watt amp, if you like kicker use it. If not go the RF amp way. Buy everything off Ebay. Find a stereo shop installer to help you on the side after work and pay him well if your not sure on installation. Plan on a second 4 ch amp for your interior speakers and a third/fourth for the future tower speaker depending on way you buy.

Remember that the voltage of the amp if its rated at 14 volts is only putting out its advertised wattage with the boat running. When the boat is off the watt is cut in Half, yes half. Thats why I went with JL is a 11v amp works the same on or off.

I would run the single battery until your system grows past 2 amps. I ran two before and all was well.

Hydrofoiljunky
05-08-2008, 11:37 PM
Thanks guys for the advice, Aqua, the voltage thing I didn't even know about. Should save me some headaches down the road, or create some depending on which way you look at it :-) I'm gonna look into the JL's. Someone told me the Bass tubes sound good but you confirmed my suspicions, I'm gonna go box style. Tazz, that MX700.5 amp, how many interior speakers are you running off it? Then your running the sub off that amp as well? Aqua that Sub sounds nice, do you build a box for it or how does that work? Do most of you guys put your sub under the drivers kick well? Is 10" big enough for the sub or am I going to be throwing more money at it later wanting a 12". I don't want overpowering oh look here comes that moron with the loud stereo bass, I want something that you can feel but doesn't rattle your brain bass, if that makes any sense??? Tazz, I've been eyeballing that MX700.5 amp as well, so many decisions..........

Chad

Aquaholic
05-08-2008, 11:58 PM
Thanks guys for the advice, Aqua, the voltage thing I didn't even know about. Should save me some headaches down the road, or create some depending on which way you look at it :-) I'm gonna look into the JL's. Someone told me the Bass tubes sound good but you confirmed my suspicions, I'm gonna go box style. Tazz, that MX700.5 amp, how many interior speakers are you running off it? Then your running the sub off that amp as well? Aqua that Sub sounds nice, do you build a box for it or how does that work? Do most of you guys put your sub under the drivers kick well? Is 10" big enough for the sub or am I going to be throwing more money at it later wanting a 12". I don't want overpowering oh look here comes that moron with the loud stereo bass, I want something that you can feel but doesn't rattle your brain bass, if that makes any sense??? Tazz, I've been eyeballing that MX700.5 amp as well, so many decisions..........

Chad

Use the MX700.5 for the interior only I'm using the sub I mentioned earlier and it POUNDS. I had the box made for the airspace spec'ed for the sub and then had it lineX. It sits behind my foot rest. I have a JL 12w6 sub but I need another amp so its sitting for now. sorry but u need a second amp for the sub and YOU control the boom boom with the gain setting in the head unit. I like being the BOOM BOOM guy you will too just wait..........here fishy fishy

tlatoani
05-09-2008, 01:38 AM
I'm expecting my sub to arrive tomorrow (Kicker 12L7, 08 model) and I'm thinking about putting it behind the driver seat. I think there is plenty of room there, and it will be easier on all of the gauges, perfect pass, and the ws420.

I can't believe how much time I've spent this week installing stuff. Wow. My wife is getting kinda pissed. I ordered a nice power/ground/rem distribution block, but of course that is the one thing that I haven't gotten. What a PITA it is to wire everything straight to the battery, with fuses of course. Then I have to redo it all next week when the dist block arrives. I probably should have waited...but I wanted to hear the new stuff!

----------

As to the questions: Personally I went with 06 model Kicker amps because they were cheap. The 850x4 was $250, so I got one for the tower speakers and one for the 4 rear interior speakers. Using the stock tower amp for the fronts. Plus a 1000.1 for the sub (it's not quite as cheap...). I agree, look on ebay. Also compare to sites like hookedontronics and onlinecarstereo.com. They sometimes are very competitive, and offer free shipping and possibly a warranty where ebay may not. Read carefully!