PDA

View Full Version : Resources for Slalom tips

BensonWdby
09-05-2003, 06:19 PM
http://www.waterskimag.com/article.jsp?ID=5841&typeID=123&categoryID=116

I thought I would take my own advice and go looking for slalom tips. I went to Google and entered
+slalom +"step by step" +waterski

I found the link at the top of this post in Waterski Magazines web site.

If you get this link to work you will find an article named "Cut me some slack" with lots of good info. At the bottom of the article is more linkw with more tips.

Also try http://waterski.about.com

A couple of notes about these articles.
1. I always find something to try in these.
2. I always discover that I have been doing someting wrong for a very long time.
3. I often have a hard time visualizing exactly what they mean, but I am getting better.
4. I have not found anywhere in here yet that says you should lean back.

I still think videos are better.

Hope this helps all of you that have been looking for tips.

Dave

TheBeeZ
09-08-2003, 08:09 AM
You can also try www.skitech.net which is Chris Rossi's site or www.andymapple.com or www.schnitzskis.com. I have been able to pick up a few tips from each of these sites.

BensonWdby
10-01-2008, 11:42 PM
With the recent renewed interest in slalom on this board and a couple of newer skiiers posting I thought I would resurrect this post.

Sled491
10-18-2008, 11:36 PM
I've been really getting into Schnitzskis.com. Especially on tuning.

Funny your comment about leaning back. I absolutlely agree, but body position is almost impossible to coach without video. Even back in our ski racing days video was key.

I like to think that we hardcores have tried our very best to resurrect the slalmom skiing threads. Seems like there are more of us out there than we knew! I would really dig a pro skier at our Jamboree!

Mikey
10-19-2008, 04:57 PM
A pro skier would be awesome to watch and learn from. Sled i think you've mentioned you are /were or have been around Alberta/Calgary. Next summer at a little private waterski club 5mins south of Calgary PredatorBay is hosting the 09 waterskiing World Championships.I'm hopeing to go and see the Best of the Best.It should be awesome.
They have a website and a secondary site set up by Jarret Lewellyn promoting this event and if interested its worth looking at.The place is only 10mins from where i live and maybe I/someone could help out others interested in attending etc.

Will see when time gets nearer.I believe it starts Aug 16 09 but check the site for sure.

Sled491
10-19-2008, 05:32 PM
Hey Mikey, that sounds awsum. I have 2 uncles and some cousins in Calgary. Keep us posted, it would definately be doable and definately worth seeing.

Mikey
10-19-2008, 07:32 PM
My mistake.World Waterski Championships start Aug3-9 09 and all info can be found on Predator Bay Waterski Club website.No ticket availability yet. TBA.

This place is a really cool place and has a first class setup,as i inquired a couple yrs ago about how to join etc,and had a very brief look around.

Definetely the way to go if you don't own a boat or do who knows. Check it out.
No i have No affiliation to them just thought i'd throw it out there.

snowboardcorey
11-06-2008, 04:20 PM
For the midwest guys, we typically host a couple of slalom clinics every year. This year we had 3 days with Wade Cox and we've hosted Chris Parrish and Jason Parades in the past. We run on a semi-private lake with access to a slalom course.

Shoot me an email if you are interested in info for next year, we don't have anything firmly on the books yet but come spring time we'll have the dates and instructors locked down.

[email protected]

Sled491
11-06-2008, 06:51 PM
Email Sent.

BensonWdby
11-06-2008, 07:36 PM
I think this is Midwest Waterski. They are a good group. I have bought most of my gear from them over the last 30 years. They use Auburn Lake I think. Nice little lake - not a lot of traffic. If you come for this you will come right by us. I bet they will be using MC or Malibu...

snowboardcorey
11-07-2008, 12:18 PM
I'm with Midwest, thanks for the props! I've been here for the past 4-5 years and worked at the old shop in Hopkins for awhile too, chances are I've helped you at least once.

Clinics are on Auburn, we've run one on Quarry Lake and another on some small lake down by Prior (I skied at this one, should know but I'm drawing a blank) as well. Hard to beat either in terms of quality water but we're always looking for new spots.

BensonWdby
11-07-2008, 06:58 PM
I used to run Family Ski night on Prior from Frank's dock Back in early 80s. That was when Midwest was still in Jim's basement in Bloomington. Bought my first real ski there, a Jobe Professional with variable textured bottom, juast as wings were starting to come out.

We are currently looking for an HO System 8 at drastically reduced prices. After our trip to Ski Paradise this April my son is convinced he can not ski on my Concept (which I bought at the Burnsville store - I think that was you guys too...right?? about 9 years ago?)

Mikey
11-08-2008, 12:03 AM
If your looking for System 8 skis apparently they are no more.Adrenaline and other places similar have been advertising clearing them out . Some at what seams like pretty reasonable prices.I know as i;m considering one myself. Ho really hasn;t explained why they are discontinueing this ski as it was apparently there top selling ski and or what the real replacement ski is or will be.
System 8 is the slightly heavier and more forgiving version of the Monza but is rated higher for those not so perfect conditions in the water when still wanting a very performance rated ski.
Sorry Sled its not an A1 which again is supposed to be the Top dog in the HO lineup,But i don't know anyone who has skiied this to say its really that much better.I've tried a Monza and as i;ve heard this ski is hardcore but not that suitable under rough water conditions.If water conditions were perfect or close too it i'd go with this ski. But under realworldconditiond the System8 is a really nice alround ski.I'm really hopeing Santa sees this somehow before its too late.

Sled491
11-08-2008, 09:40 AM
the way I hear it, the A1 is the reason the System is no longer available. Better all around in all conditions and holds like a mother. Very fast and stable. Supposed to be a real gem in the rough (probably not a good comparison), maybe I mean to say a real eye opener!

Recently someone sent me a link that had System 8's for like 359.00 for a blank if I recall. Considering all the other skiis I'm considering start over a grand I'd say that's a geed deal.

BensonWdby
11-08-2008, 10:47 AM
At Ski Paradise this April the guys there thought my Concept needed to be replaced, especially the fin was not deep enough. So after a couple days of pretty poor skiing, Gordon put my front binding on a 69.5 Monza. I did start to ski better, but I could not tell you why.

It could be that those first two days were my first two of the season, we were running on 88 degree brackish water (instead of 75 degree fresh water), and it was my first time ever behind Perfect Pass. So I had some adjusting to make.

Problem with me is that even after all these years, my awareness on the ski is not all that great. It is better than it used to be (result of skiing on shorter ropes at faster speeds). So it is hard to say what really made me ski better later in the week. I did have some excelent instruction form the coaching staff and that really helped.

Gordon was kind enough to provide a deeper fin for my Concept and I had a pretty good season this year. But I also backed off back to 28 off, from my prefered 38 off (open water).

The Monza did not perform well enough to make me think I needed to spend 800-1000 on a new ski. But if one came my way cheap I would probably make the change. Gordon and his crew seemed to be HO fans, at least when applied to guys like me.

Sled491
11-09-2008, 11:22 AM
The answer to that one seems easy to me. I raced National points level for years. Every year we would get new skiis from the sponsor. One reason of course was to help with sells to other racers. But for us the main reason was that the cores break down and the spring and flex from new go away, making the skiis react slower, hence making you ski slower.

Few people realize that the same thing happens with water skiis. The problem however is that we tend to get into a comfort zone as you mentioned and then your afraid to change.

Another note on the Monza and the guys a Skiers Paradise recomendations (no disrespect intended). No one group has the true answer. They as we did get free stuff to promote product. The only way to find a new ski for you similar to the place I now find myself is to test drive new skiis. This needs to be done during peak season, and a day is needed with a few skiis at a time, even a weekend.

snowboardcorey
11-18-2008, 05:18 PM
Benson,

Thats awesome that you know Jim, he is STILL one of our promo drivers and STILL jumping! His new boat sprayed on Monday.

Let me know what size System 8 you want, we dont have many left but if we have what you need I'll get you a deal on it.

BensonWdby
11-18-2008, 09:01 PM
Corey

Jim is a good guy. Have not talked to him in a Very long time. The last year I skiied with Prior Lake was probably 1982 or 1983?

Rearding System 8 - We are looking for a 68 inch (He is about 185-190, 5'9", RFF, not afraid of short ropes or 36 mph, but has not had much experience with course.). Bindings are open. I think no too expensive (no hard shells). Probably using a RTP. I don't expect you guys to give them away, but if you can swing something other than the standard end of season deal we might be interested.

If you want to respond off-line, use the link in my signature below to find our home page. Email is at the bottom of page. While you are there take a look at the Crash and Burn video. Much of that was shot on Lake Marion....

Thanks
Dave

snowboardcorey
11-20-2008, 12:34 PM
Benson,

Sorry but we are out of 68" System 8's. We actually only have one left and it's a 69.5".

I have a couple of Monza's left over if you are interested in one of those, seems like you know what you're looking for so I'll save you the sales shpeel.

Prior still has a pretty big watersports scene though it's pretty hard to get good water out there. A lot of the die hards moved their ski time over to Quarry Lake (Private) but I know there is a submersible over by the Island that I've skied and I think there is one other but not sure where they keep it.