PDA

View Full Version : I think I'm getting scammed....

AaronWhitt82
05-05-2008, 12:11 AM
I listed my waverunner on Craigslist and received this E-mail.
I'm pretty sure the guy is trying to scam me, but I'm just going to play along with it.
What do you guys think??
The first e-mail I got starts at the bottom and goes up.

Hello,

Thanks for the fast response.
Send me the name and the address the check will bear and be mailed to so that I have it sent to you as soon as possible. You dont have to worry about the shipping, I will include some funds that will be given to the shipper on the check as soon as you get it, Once you get the check you have the funds sent to him via moneygram wire transfer and then you both schedule a pick up time. Let me know

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To: [email protected]
Subject: RE: The 2003 SEA DOO RXDI 157 HRS. - $4600
Date: Sun, 4 May 2008 12:01:55 -0500

Mike -

Thanks for the reply.
As far as shipping goes I don't know anything about that or how much it would cost. You would need to contact a reputatble shipping company and get an estimate on how much it would cost you. As far as the payment goes a cashier's check or bank check would be fine with me; however I will not release the waverunner until the check clears.
Let me know about shipping and the payment when you find out and we can move on from there.

Thanks,
Aaron

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Subject: The 2003 SEA DOO RXDI 157 HRS. - $4600
Date: Sun, 4 May 2008 16:29:22 +0000

Hello,
Sorry for getting back to you late, I have been busy and tight with work schedule, had to travel some miles to get somethings very important done. Anyway what have you been up to on this sale, figured out anything about the shipping and payment at all. I am really willing to buy this from you and will post your payment as soon as each others term as been agreed to, the payment will be in full and someone will come and have it picked up as soon as payment has gone through, however as much as I like to handle the shipment myself, I have contacted a shipper to ask how much it will cost to have it thugged down here and they should get back to me before monday.
On the payment aspect, how about If I have a certified cashiers/bank check check mailed out to you as soon as I get the shipping quote so that I will include the shipping fee to be paid to the shipper on it and we can get everything rounded up before the end of next week. Let me know If this works for you and then we can move on from there.
Have a wonderful weekend
Michael
206-888-6572

Subject: RE: 2003 SEA DOO RXDI 157 HRS. - $4600
Date: Sat, 3 May 2008 14:35:03 -0500

Mike,
As of right now it is still up for sale. I have a few people interested in it as well.
Let me know.

Thanks,
Aaron

Subject: 2003 SEA DOO RXDI 157 HRS. - $4600
Date: Sat, 3 May 2008 00:03:18 +0000

** CRAIGSLIST ADVISORY --- AVOID SCAMS BY DEALING LOCALLY
** Avoid: wiring money, cross-border deals, work-at-home
** Beware: cashier checks, money orders, escrow, shipping
** More Info: http://www.craigslist.org/about/scams.html

Hey,
Just browsed through your SEA DOO posted on craigslist. I have interest in it and will like to know If you still have it up for sale, I live in Seattle, willing to pay all the shipping expenses If you still have it up for sale. Please get back to me as soon as possible If still available. Thanks

Michael
206-888-6572

jmvotto
05-05-2008, 06:17 AM
aaron,

Sounds like a scam, just don't send anything until you have cleared funds in your bank for about a week on this one.

I had a familar transaction on ebay a while back, after a few e-mails the buyer disappeared.

tazz3069
05-05-2008, 08:07 AM
Be very careful with craig's list. I tried selling a boat there. I had it listed for $9000.00 The buyer sent me a $18,000 cashiers check. I called the bank. The funds were good, the account was good, but the check was fake. The bank did nit have a record of that check. I reported the check to the fraud department with the police. After am investigation and several emails and phone calls, they were caught. Justice was served. Every time I try to sell something on Craig's list I get sopeople that just left the country on business but are very interested. I reply," You should of bought it before you left." To add to that, I tell them to Scam someone else and forward the email to Fraud department at our local police.

spyder
05-05-2008, 09:28 AM
yeah, the poor english is a strong indication it is a scam.

GeauxTigers
05-05-2008, 10:08 AM
I think the "poor english" is part of the scam to appear as a helpless foreign person who would never do something bad. I get spammed at least once a week offering me the multi-milliion dollar inheritance of some or other wealthy person who died in combat somewhere in Africa.... you guys ever get those emails?

JesseC
05-05-2008, 10:53 AM
Sounds sketchy to me. I used a reverse phone lookup and this is what it turned up:

(206) 888-6572Type: Land Line
Provider: International Telcom, Ltd

Where did the guy say he was located?

Here is the website, I use it frequently to check ebay users addresses to phone numbers: http://www.whitepages.com/reverse_phone

tprkolbas
05-05-2008, 11:45 AM
just a quick opinion from a cop - sounds very scam like. i would wait at least 10 business days for the check to clear if you proceed.

morewaves
05-05-2008, 10:55 PM
I think this is a scam. This is one of those scams where the check will arrive for more than the amount you're asking for and then they will ask you to wire transfer the difference to someone/somewhere. The problem is that the check will eventually bounce and you can't recover the amount that was wire transfered.

For more information, check out this article on snopes.com:
http://www.snopes.com/crime/fraud/cashier.asp

tazz3069
05-05-2008, 11:42 PM
Sounds sketchy to me. I used a reverse phone lookup and this is what it turned up:

(206) 888-6572Type: Land Line
Provider: International Telcom, Ltd

Where did the guy say he was located?

Here is the website, I use it frequently to check ebay users addresses to phone numbers: http://www.whitepages.com/reverse_phone

Jesse That web sight is awesome. I will definitely use that web sight in the future

AaronWhitt82
05-06-2008, 12:11 AM
UPDATE: I'm still messing with this guy. He did say that he was located in Seattle.
I work for a Police department myself so I know how these things work.
The guy just e-mailed me back earlier and this is what he said....

Hello,

Thanks for the fast response.
Send me the name and the address the check will bear and be mailed to so that I have it sent to you as soon as possible. You dont have to worry about the shipping, I will include some funds that will be given to the shipper on the check as soon as you get it, Once you get the check you have the funds sent to him via moneygram wire transfer and then you both schedule a pick up time. Let me know

Here is the reply I sent back:

Hey Mike that sounds great. Glad to have heard back from you.
The name is Aaron Washkowiak and address is 210 S. Woodland Avenue Oglesby, Illinois 61348.
I'm looking forward to receiving the check.
Also, did we come to an agreement on the price you will be paying for the item?
I also need the name, phone number and address of the shipping company so I can get in contact with them.

Regards,
Aaron

I gave him my first name, but a fake last name and I gave him the address of the Police Department where I work.
I'm going to see if I actually get a check.

I also received another e-mail that was very similar and I told the guy I turned him into the Fraud Dept., Local Police and FBI and of course never heard back......

GeauxTigers
05-06-2008, 11:13 AM
I was a photographer for The Allegheny County Detective Bureau, Homicide Division
and then I was a Deputy Coroner for The Allegheny County Coroner's Office (badge 101).

Ugh... that musta been a treat!

JesseC
05-06-2008, 03:47 PM
Aaron, I need to highjack your thread for a second. The wife and I are trying to get money from an eBay/PayPal fallout. We paid 399 for an item and the guy closed his eBay account and Paypal account so we can not recoop our funds. Is there any action that can be taken against him? We have his phone number and address. Were are down here in Alabama and he is in New Jersey.

spyder
05-06-2008, 08:37 PM
Aaron, I need to highjack your thread for a second. The wife and I are trying to get money from an eBay/PayPal fallout. We paid 399 for an item and the guy closed his eBay account and Paypal account so we can not recoop our funds. Is there any action that can be taken against him? We have his phone number and address. Were are down here in Alabama and he is in New Jersey.

ebay buyer protection?

JesseC
05-06-2008, 09:22 PM
ebay buyer protection?

They coverd the first $200, we are out the other $199. Still sucks.

AaronWhitt82
05-06-2008, 09:26 PM
Jesse - As far as your situation goes I would file a dispute with paypal and Ebay and E-mail them and explain what has happened. You may also want to contact the Police Department where the guy lives if the address is legit and see if they can help you out......

As far as the idiot I'm dealing with he has E-mailed me back once again with this:

Hello,
I have posted a check of $8,950.90 to you today and you should get it before the end of the week or sometimes next. What you have to do as soon as you get the check is deduct your funds and have the rest of the money sent to the shipper that will pick up from you via moneygram wire transfer. Let me know as soon as you get the check so that I will give you the shippers details the money will be sent to. After the check has been cleared and cashed by your bank, you and the shipper will have to schedule a convinient time on when to pick up. Thanks

I replied with this:

Hello,
That sounds great that you have sent the check already. I can't wait to get it and I'll be looking for it in the mail real soon. As soon as I get it I will let you know and then we can proceed with the shipping process.
I will make sure to deduct exactly $4,350.90 to be wired to the shipping company as well.

Thanks again for the great deal,
Aaron

I'll see what happens from here.......

deerfield
05-07-2008, 10:38 AM
Aaron - Be very careful. Call me @ 312-904-6453 during the day if you want to discuss. Illinois State Police 1980 - 1991, U.S. Justice Department 1991 - 1993, Bank of America 1994 - present. - Deerfield

hiqualityH2O
05-08-2008, 01:10 PM
Aaron - this is great stuff. This is the same kind of low life people that ripped Tazz off. I hope you nail this guy!

Deerfield - Not sure if you've read the whole post but if I'm reading it correctly Aaron has set this up through the PD. If this isn't legit (which I can 99.9999% guarantee it's not) this slime ball will hopefully be caught.

AaronWhitt82
05-08-2008, 06:18 PM
As of right now I have not received the check.
I told the PD what was going on so they are aware of everything.
Hopefully I'll have it tomorrow or Saturday and then I can proceed from there to see if we can catch the low life.

I also received a third e-mail from a guy trying to do the same thing. I'm playing along with him as well. This is starting to be fun hahah

AaronWhitt82
05-09-2008, 06:59 PM
Alright well for some reason this idiot thinks I received the check, but I haven't. Anyways this is what he sent me:

Hey,
Good day to you and how is work and family? I was in contact with the shipper yesterday and I've been given the details the shipping funds will be transfered to via moneygram money transfer immediately you get the check. Here is the details

Name: Tracy Mainer
Address: 6019 Johson Terrace
City: Dallas
State: Texas

Once you get the check, proceed to moneygram wire transfer store and send the excess fund on the check to the shipper. You check for the nearest moneygram location to you at www.moneygram.com, as soon as the money has been sent you get back to me with the moneygram details(8-digits Reference Number, Senders Name and Address with phone) so the shipper can have the money picked up and have us scheduled for pick up as soon as the check clear and money gone through. Get back to me as soon as you get this email acknowledging it

This is what I replied with:

Michael -

First off I would like to say Thank You for your business!!!!!

Secondly......... YOU HAVE BEEN SCAMMED.

The check you have sent was received by the Local Police Department I work for.
You are now being investigated by the State Police, FBI and the Fraud Department. Your E-Mail address is currently being traced as well.
Next time you may want to try a little harder and put forth some better grammar and spelling of your English.
I hope that very soon they will locate you and have you arrested for what you have done.
Until then, I hope you have a wonderful Life and that you rot in Prison you low life piece of sh**.

Thank you and Please come again,

Respectfully Yours,

Aaron