PDA

View Full Version : Vacation Question

Drisk
04-29-2008, 01:43 AM
Have read the forum for awhile and recently bought a 08 LSV after much deliberation. Have to plan vacations well in advance due to wife's work. Was just wondering what might be some great lakes to board on within driving distance? Willing to drive 4 to 5 hrs.

I am located in NE Texas about 1 hr south of arkansas and 30 minutes from Lousiana. Thanks in advance for any help.

tazz3069
04-29-2008, 07:45 AM
Drisk--
Welcome to the Moomba family. Congrats on the purchase of your new boat. I am sure there is someone who lives in Texas would point you in the right direction.

SEARK
04-29-2008, 12:29 PM
Drisk,
Welcome to the family. As someone that lives in Arkansas I must brag on some great lakes the state has. You've got 3 really good lakes around Hot Springs in Ouachita, DeGray and Katheryn. Lake Hamilton is usually pretty full on the weekends. Heber Springs has Greers Ferry Lake which is pretty nice too. I'm on Lake Chicot in the SE part of the state but it is not near as nice as the ones I mentioned.

pickle311
04-29-2008, 01:08 PM
Some of the best wakeboarding in Texas is on the Brazos river, it runs into Lake Whitney. If you come around Austin there's Lake Austin and Lake Travis. About an hour west is Lake Buchanan, it's big but the water is good on the north end.

Drisk
04-29-2008, 05:08 PM
Seark,
Appreciate the help. I've been on greeson before and been debating on a few of these lakes for a few mini trips. was thinking Degray and Ouchita as they are about 2 hrs away.

Pickle,
I have a buddy on LBJ with a lake house and headed there in June. Would you pick Travis or Austin over that lake. Which one of those was the E channel for best places to go?

Thanks for all the help. Maybe there are some good ones in MO or AL someone will post.

Thanks again

K_E_N
04-30-2008, 08:48 AM
Drisk, I live in Monroe, LA and ride on the Ouachita River. As far as wakeboarding and boating, you couldn't ask for a better body of water. You can find smooth water nearly any day of the year. As you go north from Monroe, you leave the more inhabitted parts of the river and get into some beautiful scenery.
I'm currently organizing a free-ride wakeboarding event that is tentatively scheduled for July 10-13. It will be based out of Moon Lake, a bay off of the Ouachita River. www.myspace.com/moonlakereawakening
Unfortunately, there are no cabins or hotels directly on the river, but there are some campgrounds with camper hookups if that's your thing.

www.ouachitariver.org