PDA

View Full Version : Fuel/Water Separator/Filter

OldeBoy
04-27-2008, 09:19 AM
When replacing the fuel filter/water separator does it need to be filled with fuel before being installed, similar to filling an oil filter with oil?

Engine Nut
04-27-2008, 12:13 PM
No, there is noneed to pre-fill the fuel filter. If you have a fuel injected enfine cycle the key on and off several times to prime the system and fill the filter. If you have a carbueted engine, you will just have to crank the engine to fill the filter.

When replacing the fuel filter/water separator does it need to be filled with fuel before being installed, similar to filling an oil filter with oil?

spyder
04-27-2008, 12:44 PM
Thanks Larry, I replaced mine in the fall and am about to drop it in the water very soon. I was wondering if I was suppose to prime it or not..

Thanks for hanging out here and helping ;)

OldeBoy
04-27-2008, 08:37 PM
thanks for the help

toelke4286
04-28-2008, 11:15 AM
Does my 2003 carb Outback have one? If so, where? Sorry for the ignorance.

JesseC
04-28-2008, 12:23 PM
Does my 2003 carb Outback have one? If so, where? Sorry for the ignorance.

YES...is it a Direct drive or a V-drive. In either case find the carburator inlet fuel line and follow it down to the electric fuel pump and continue following the line towards the gas tank. There will be a 3/8" inlet fuel filter agains the hull. In the V-drive it is against the Port side just behind and underneath the starter. I always disconnect the power just in case I arch a screwdriver with the starter......