PDA

View Full Version : Removing the water intake hose?

LSV04
04-26-2008, 09:38 AM
Hey-I have to remove the water intake hose so I can get a wrench in to tighten the shaft log packing nut and loosen the jam nut because it is dripping too much. This hose is in the way and seems impossible to remove off the fitting attached to a pipe at the bottom of the boat. Do I just cut it off and buy a new hose? . I can get the other end off the v-drive or trans. should I try to bend it.?And one more thing, I imagine the boat should be on land if I take the water intake hose off? Any help appreciated. Thanks

zabooda
04-26-2008, 03:47 PM
The packing nut should be accessable even on the water even though my 98 DD has to have the floor removed. I would consider moving the hose or replacing the hose with a longer length and direct it away from any moving parts including the packing nut and the shaft. Doing the packing adjustment on the water allows you to adjust the tightness accordingly and not spend time pulling the boat and going back in. Others with the same type boat may be able to tell you a work around but I don't ever see a need to take the intake hose off as depending on where the hose is removed it may be the same as pulling your drain plug if your on the water.

seanpatsdad
04-27-2008, 08:15 PM
LSV04,
I have the same boat and just did this same job last week.I have a strainer in line before the vdrive but it is the same.Take the Vdrive end off and while you are pulling you are going to have to turn the hose at the same time.The hull fitting has barbs on it and that is what makes it tough.It will help if you take out the trim piece with carpet above the vdrive held in with 2 screws.Gives you more room to work with that out of the way.Hope this helps.
John