PDA

View Full Version : leaving boat in water?

ajmoritz17
04-24-2008, 09:34 AM
Does anyone leave there boat in the water? I live like 5 minutes away from where i wakeboard most of the time but my dad bought me a dock space right next to his boat. It would be nice to not have to deal with trailoring boat and just head straight to lake from work. but as it is now i pull boat out of water and wipe it down. I would be pulling it out of water at least once every 2 weeks probably once a week to gas and clean.thoughts?????
________
TR200 (http://www.cyclechaos.com/wiki/Honda_TR200)

qb12
04-24-2008, 09:43 AM
leaving the boat "in" the water for long periods can result in blistering on the hull. not covered under your warranty.

don't do it, unless you have a lift.

yager97
04-24-2008, 10:18 AM
boats are made to be in water arent they??? what if you go on a weeks vacation somewhere, do you pull it out everyday to wash it and clean it?? I leave mine in for months at a time, I scrub the hull while its in the water at a sandbar every now and then. No blisters. No Problems. And much easier access everytime I want to go riding after work when those daylight hours are precious. Spend your time using your boat rather than worrying about it all the time, youll enjoy it more I guarantee it

ian ashton
04-24-2008, 11:32 AM
I also plan on keeping mine in a slip at a small marina. The only thing to be careful on is that you tie it up properly, you don't want it bouncing off the docs when other boats pass by.

cptmoomba
04-24-2008, 01:09 PM
aj,

I do exactly what you are talking about. I leave my boat in my lake access community slip for a week or two at a time. Usually pull it out for gas and clean the water lines and use a car crawler to thoroughly clean the bottom. If it happens that it stays in two weeks or more, I use starbrite hull cleaner to dissolve the water line then clean and protect with Ice synthetic spray detailer by Turtle Wax. This stuff removes all water spots in a 20 minute wipedown.

I used to keep in on the trailer between uses, but what I found was that I didn't use it half as much due to the extra time to hookup, launch park, get trailer and store. It is worth the cleaning effort once every two weeks to have it sitting in the slip ready to go for nice days and weekends.

YellowMoomba0
04-24-2008, 01:13 PM
I leave mine at our neighborhood slips. Pull it out every week to gas and clean. Two weeks is the longest it will sit. I use star-brite hull cleaner and a soft extenable brush. I put two capfulls of hull cleaner in a bucket and add about 2 to 3 cups of water, then scrub the bottom and rinse well. The trick is to do this within 20 minutes of pulling out of the water. Scrub about 25% of the hull and rinse, then move on. I have it down to about 15 minutes total and it makes the hull look brand new again. I have done it this way for years and never had a problem.

YellowMoomba0
04-24-2008, 01:17 PM
I leave mine at our neighborhood slips. Pull it out every week to gas and clean. Two weeks is the longest it will sit. I use star-brite hull cleaner and a soft extenable brush. I put two capfulls of hull cleaner in a bucket and add about 2 to 3 cups of water, then scrub the bottom and rinse well. The trick is to do this within 20 minutes of pulling out of the water. Scrub about 25% of the hull and rinse, then move on. I have it down to about 15 minutes total and it makes the hull look brand new again. I have done it this way for years and never had a problem.

spyder
04-24-2008, 01:43 PM
on't know whats going to happen with the moomba yet, but our old I/O would spend the entire season (5 or 6 months) in the water up at the resort where our trailer is in a small wharf, sure it looked ugly at the end of the year, but it all came off no problem with a good year end cleaning.

BensonWdby
04-24-2008, 08:16 PM
Things that concern me are related to the shaft seal and bilge/battery failure.

My concern about prolonged time in the water is if the bilge pump fails or the battery fails. A sudden influx of water or leak through the shaft seal could sink you.

Our boat is on lake at a dock - on a lift....

Membrain
04-24-2008, 08:27 PM
Hey Yellow,

What’s this I mess with Texas stuff?

YellowMoomba0
04-25-2008, 08:53 AM
Membrane:

I saw that on an ESPN Gameday sign one Saturday Morning and had to steel it. I imagine Texas is great country, but you know the saying "Dont mess with Texas" Its just my way of being a smart arse. Spewing verbal garbage that I cant back up.

jmvotto
04-25-2008, 09:33 AM
Leaving it the water for extended period could play havoc with the intake it you have Zebra mussels in your body of H20, Ours will be on the like at our cottage. :D