PDA

View Full Version : Help me decide...Z1 vs Mobius LSV vs Vride!

2thdoc01
04-23-2008, 09:54 PM
I drove the Malibu V ride and the Moomba Mobius today. Still need to drive the Tige Z1.

I would appreciate some input from anyone with experience in these boats.
Here are my Pros/cons:

Malibu V ride:
Pros:

Nice ride thru chop
Turns on a dime
Steers super easy and tracks straight at low speed
Swivel cptn chair
Nice storage
Led lit inside gunnels
Awesome tower design
Speedo is digital and adjusts easily with cruise. Holds speed nice.
Cable free throttle...really nice for control
Quiet and smooth
Lift up strut supported storage door in passenger area
Good upholstery and stitching

Warranty??

Cons:
07 I drove was pretty plain and priced at 42k..seems like 08 would be the same?
Manual wedge...please debate the taps, vs wedge, vs adjustable wake plate. I was told the floating wedge messes up handling when its doin its thing.
single axle trailer
Only 4 speakers
Plastic cup holders
No racks
Smallish, but not bad interior, seats 10

08 Mobius LSV

Pros:
All white w/ blk accent was sweet.
Spacious interior
Loaded with tower speakers, dual amps, wakeboard prop,hydraulic wakeplate, Gravity 3 ballast for 42k.
Seems to ride well thru chop, tracks well, quiet.
Nice carpet
Good storage
Rear seat pulls out for rear facing seating
4 year drive train, 3 year bow to stern warranty..due to show special

Cons:

Cable throttle system..seemed harder to control speed.??
Non Swivel cpt chair
Seemed to have more "vibration" initially on acceleration
Front passenger seat access pad squeeks when you lean on it and it opens into cokpit area vs opening up.
Sterring..is it different than the malibu? It seemed like the Malibu was 1 finger steering...??

Tige Z1

Pros:
Sweet looking
Nice area to sit on back of boat to put skis on
Digital speedo? with dial also?
Simple cruise...no look
Storage area opens in bow also, uses shocks.
Taps system...trimable...no need for ballast bags
I can get a smokin deal on one...cant say how much but its almost too good to pass up.
Supposed to ride better in chop, and quieter, with hull design and the way the two halves of boat are fiberglassed together???

Cons:

Seemed tight inside bow a bit, and in main area.
Semi swivel cpt chair
Seems as if dealers are coming and going
Will they be in business for years like malibu and moomba?

Havent driven....soooo

Yamaha 212x...

I dont have enough time..lets say it is out of the running:D

Jon
04-23-2008, 10:22 PM
Let me start by saying that I think you will be happy with either of the 3 inboards. After looking at what you said it appears that you are getting a lot more bang for the buck with the Moomba. First, its a 2008. Second, it's loaded. Third, by far the best warranty. Plus at $42k you are getting a sweet deal.

I cannot speak for the other boat companies as I do not have much experience with theme but let me handle some of your cons about the Moomba. Does the LSV have perfect pass or EZ Cruise? It should have one on it at least-problem solved with keeping speed. If you thought it had vibration, try driving it with the standard prop or an acme prop comparable to Moomba's wakeboard prop. For some odd reason Moomba's wakeboard prop makes a strange sound during acceleration at slow speeds. A different prop will fix that. For the cushion, they just have to break in. Also, by swinging out and not up it allows better access for larger items. For the steering, the Moomba should be 1 finger as well. Was it stiff or something?

pickle311
04-23-2008, 10:25 PM
I'm pretty sure the LSV captain chair does swivle but I may be wrong. It also has the Moomba cruise so controlling the speed shouldn't be an issue. Set it and forget it. I do like the Z1 as well but the one I looked at was 60k with the options I wanted.

tazz3069
04-23-2008, 10:34 PM
My 07 LSV steering moves with one finger. I agree with the prop. My stock prop felt funny. I changed it and everything is smooth. Think about this, with the Moomba, you get it loaded. With the other boats, it all add-ons. This means big bucks. A friend of mine bought a Master Craft with all the Bells and Whisltes. $95,000 I bought my boat with all the bells and whistles and paid $42,000. See the difference. Hope this helps with your decesion. Plus if you get the Moomba, there is lots of guys that have great ideas, advice, and heplful suggestions.

2thdoc01
04-23-2008, 10:38 PM
Jon,

Thanks..

The boat has ez cruise..just seemed different than the electronic throttle as far as reallllly being able to make fine adjustments.

I am pretty sure its the wakeboard prop...I will ask

The steering seemed stiffer than the vride...maybe break in needed?

2thdoc01
04-23-2008, 10:40 PM
The Z1 is loaded, and they will sell at cost. They are a new tige dealer and want to get the word out, so they said they would think of it as advertising money....I would have to be an ambassador to the dealership...but thats ok....

04OUTBACK
04-23-2008, 11:41 PM
I agree, all 3 are great choices.. You MAY want to pose that question on Wakeworld...You will get strong responses on all three...
One common thing that comes up on the Tige's...... I looked at them myself.. they claim no need for ballast.. boat weight and taps covers that.. Upside...probably less weight for wake/but most wakeboarders claim that it is not enough without ballast... depending on your situation, that may not matter to you... BUT, if you wanna surf, you'll have to add ballast....

Perf Pass can be added to the LSV for about $1000.. Remember that in your comparison. Perf Pass is awesome.. When I had my 04 OUtback, I said, nahhh....no big deal.. when I found my LSV, it had it already and IMMEDIATELY, I fell in love. the LSV is harder to maintain speed than my Outback was with Carb engine (Not using PP), but with PP, not an issue!

You have 3 great boat options now... much better options than the yamaha...

Good luck and the good news is: sounds like your getting an inboard, and soon!

lanceswake
04-24-2008, 12:00 AM
Hey man to me it's a pretty simple decision. I've had a Moomba for 3 years now, and my next boat will be a Moomba as well. Yes the Tige & Mastercraft are quality boats too, but you're simply getting alot less for your money. Tazz mentioned his buddy paid $95,000 for his boat, BUT the boat did not cost an additional $50,000 to make. Skier's Choice does not cut corners to save you money. They are building boats out of a state of the art facility. Basically SC has cut out alot of BS to save you money. Again all the other manufacturers have quality boats too. Just comes down to how much you want for your dollar....To me that's a no-brainer.

Miller_Time
04-24-2008, 12:04 AM
Also, I'm pretty sure the 08 LSV is drive by wire? I was told by a few sources that they had gone to drive by wire. Is that wrong? I swear my LSV doesnt have a throttle cable at the throttle body and just has a wire harness plugging into it. Does anyone know for sure if the 08's are throttle cable or drive by wire?

2thdoc01
04-24-2008, 12:14 AM
Tell me how the Perfect pass and the ez cruise differ from each other?

Also, how is that different from the Malibu system?

zegm
04-24-2008, 12:16 AM
Tazz,

Man with the money that guy could have saved he could have bought a nice BMW!!!! Probably a nice 2003 M5!!!
At the Atlanta boat show I studied all the boats real hard, I've got 16 years design and manufacturing experience as a mechanical engineer. Plain and simple the extra money you pay for the other boats is NOT in the boat, I can't find it! I think someone who does this fools themselves into thinking they got a better boat because of the price. They think it HAS to be better cause it cost more, no it ain't no better you just fell for their marketing strategy. And I must admit if they can get away with pulling the BS over those folks then they earn the money! I really appreciate the Skiers Choice people who want to make money by being honest and real and like their marketing says "value"! I met Rick Tinker and he is a really nice guy who spoke to my wife and I like we were next door neighbors. That sealed the deal for us! We orderd our boat not 2 minutes after that!

ajmoritz17
04-24-2008, 08:09 AM
I went through the whole process your going through about 3 months ago....I went to the boat show and pretty much had myself talked into a new v-ride with no racks one ballast bag and a power wedge- I ended up getting a 2008 lsv racks perfectpass, hydro wakeplate-gravity 3 ballast-heaters etc. Originally i wanted to stay with malibu b/c I had a mental block about the 'cheaper' moombas. I can honestly say after having 16 hours on my boat already IN OHIO-Half of that time behind the boat... they really are just less expensive. The interior is every bit as nice as the v-rides and i think it handles awesome. Perfect pass is a must! It use to be a big problem that the only one getting bad tow's was me because i wasnt driving-now i think the dog could drive. Plus as someone stated earlier the moomba community is great with support. If i were you i would add up the cost of all the things you'd have to do to the other boats to get them equal to moomba (the big thing for me was plumbing ballast) you'll find out all these features are gonna cost you thousands. GO with the moomba and put your extra cash towards gas!
________
buy vaporizer (http://vaporizers.net/vaporizers)

spyder
04-24-2008, 08:57 AM
The $50K difference goes to pay to put their damn boats in the lakes at the Masters :D

K_E_N
04-24-2008, 11:11 AM
Opinions are like certain un-mentionable parts of our anatomy, everyone has one. So here's my take:
I recently was shopping on a new boat, had to go with used due to some school related expenses. (just didn't want to be tied to a large note with some more school pending). Anyway, I also shopped V-Ride, Moomba LSV, and Supra 21V. The V-Ride and the LSV were nearer what I was wanting to spend. Both boats are nice. I actually preferred the hard ballast tanks of the V-Ride over the sacks of the Moomba, they just seemed more durable over time. I wanted the hydrollic wedge, provides down force, wake plate not so much. I preferred the bow filler cushion of the V-Ride over the LSV. I never remove the filler cushion, wife likes it being there. The tower of the V-Ride is easier to collapse, according to a dealer who sold both. With all that said, I still preferred the LSV. The "finish" of the LSV seemed nicer, more stainless steel less plastic. Seemed to have more room, I forget the actual measurements. The soft ballast allows for more storage while not in the water. I allows for more room to put your boards, vests, etc while not in use. The hard tanks are just there. Also, Malibu has had a lot of trouble with their sound systems as of late. I know of several cases of the transom remote never working properly. My local dealer would only allow me to order the base stereo and he would add WetSounds audio due to the poor quality of what Malibu was putting in their stereos.
Finally, as many have stated already, you will probably find that you can get more bang for your buck by buying a Moomba. Yeah, it may be "just a Moomba", but the V-ride is also "just a V-Ride" and not a VLX.
As far as Tige', I've heard too many bad reports from some friends in the boat selling world. I have one good friend who sells Supra/Moomba. He told me if I wasn't going to buy a Moomba or Supra from him, at least stick with Malibu or maybe even Mastercraft.
BTW, I'm quite satisfied with my 2004 Outback LSV. As far as I know, same hull as the newer Outback V's. I suspect my next boat will be an LSV, unless I come into a lot of money, in which case I'll go with the "Cadillac" of Skier's Choice and purchase a Supra.

Roachman
04-25-2008, 11:37 AM
I had a Tige Just before I bought my LSV06, and I loved it. I purchased a Moomba because as others have stated I got a fully loaded boat for 40K drive out. I have ridden behind a Z1. But you will need to add about 1000 pounds of ballast. The taps is just like moombas wakeplate (more or less a trim button where you can clean up the wake it still doesnt add any real size) Now weighted i like the Tige's wake a little better. I also think the interior is a little nicer, but you do not have near as much room inside. If you can get a fully loaded Z1 with ballast for 42k then that would be a heck of a deal. Drive and ride behind them all.

2thdoc01
04-25-2008, 01:36 PM
The tige is their photo shoot boat. It is LOADED...msrp was 70k. Inflated im sure....but it is mine for 44,500 if I like it. It even has the 4k tower of sound upgrade with watersound speakers.

[/img]

maxpower220
04-25-2008, 01:59 PM
Which motor (hp) does the Tige have? I really like Indmar (Malibu, Moomba) over Mercruiser, but that is personal preference. When looking, also look at resale values of boats a few years older. Most people don't keep boats as long as they think that they will. With that in mind, are you getting a good deal or a great deal on the Malibu/Moomba? It sounds like the Tige is a great deal.

2thdoc01
04-25-2008, 02:49 PM
The Moomba retails for 46k as I priced it, Im hoping for 45k OTD.

The Tige retails for 70k, Im getting it for 44,500.

The Tige has the 340 hp GM vortec 5.7 FI motor

qb12
04-25-2008, 03:16 PM
doc, i have always got at least 10% off my boat purchases. however all 3 that i have bought were purchased in the fall.

one thing to really be aware of is the quality of the "service" at the dealership.

2thdoc01
04-25-2008, 03:23 PM
The place is a top 100 boat dealer in Wi. They have 5 lines of boats, and Malibu and Tige are the newest. They have always been into BIG powerboats and Yachts, and are trying to get the watersports boat lines going.

The Moomba dealer will be good also. They are out of the way from me though while the Tige is on my way to the cabin in the northwoods.

The Moomba dealer sells supra and correct craft, and are having a grand opening of another store, so they are giving "boat show" specials...one is addig a 2 year bow to stern warranty.

xlvowner277
04-26-2008, 05:58 PM
dont forget the tandem axle with the moomba

2thdoc01
04-26-2008, 07:04 PM
Looks like I can get the mobius lsv for 45k otd. It has the upgraded stereo, two tower speakers, transom remote, perfect pass, bimini, bow filler cushion, gravity 3, wakeboard plate, wakeboard prop, cover, single axle trailer, depth finder.

Sled491
04-26-2008, 08:56 PM
Doc,

Now keep in mind I'm a skier not a boarder. But I have skied behind a Tige' and was very impressed. The boat seemed very well built and the hull design (as my friend described it) seemed kind of advanced. But my Moomba has more room and all the power his had. Earlier mention was made of a vibration and I have to say that I agree with everyone else and think it may be the prop choice. I am also under the impression that moomba switched to drive by wire last year. I'm positive my Outback with PP has drive by wire. Control should be equal amongst the boats if PP is a common denominator.

From a practicle point of view though, I would buy the 70k boat for 44500 and sell it next year for 50. Then I'd take my 50 keep 8 for myself and get into a fully loaded brand new Moomba! I know when you look at it closer my math doesn't exactely work but you get the point.

2thdoc01
04-26-2008, 09:46 PM
Sled,

The 70k boat is a tad inflated though...after researching it, there is alot of fluff.

Its still a decent deal......but I am working on Brian to load this thing up with tandem axle trailer for the same money. The tige is a bit deeper boat inside, and the hull looks like it would handle chop better then the moomba, but seeing is beleiving.

To be honest, Im getting tired of researching :shock:

My eyes are bugging out!

I might just say screw it and get the mobius and be done with it.

BTW, the Mobius is all white with black graphics...looks clean!

Sled491
04-26-2008, 10:12 PM
Doc, it's the one on the floor right now? The Gravity games version?

2thdoc01
04-26-2008, 10:46 PM
Sled,

No, just a reg LSV, I didnt see it listed on the site, when I went there for the test, it was all white I think. I believe it only had a small black stripe and black/silver graphics.....

Sled491
04-26-2008, 10:52 PM
I never looked in the yard, but the all white is really catching on.

Oh yeah and while were on it, trust me unlike the other dealer your talking about who is getting into the "ski boat market", ski boats is all these guys do. In fact they are the #1 inboard ski boat sellers in WI. They have come out to the lake twice to rescue me, and recently picked up my boat right in my driveway for a detailing. Trust me, you won't find a better, service oriented dealer around.

deerfield
04-27-2008, 12:45 AM
Doc - If we're talking about the same dealer, I'm givin' it a plug. I was up there yesterday to get my Outback summerized. Saw Brian, Marty, and Jesse. Good guys. Marty had me in and out in an hour. Gave me some ideas for taking care of my fuel needs this summer. (No in-water service on my lake.) Had a nice visit with Brian. Jesse, as usual, was moving in every direction taking care of business. Got some returning staff for this season and adding some new talent. Bought my Outback from Jesse at the Chicago January 2007 boat show. Solid dealership that knows its business, stands behind its products, and puts the customer first. - Deerfield

2thdoc01
04-27-2008, 09:56 PM
My brother in Law and Niece skied with those guys for a long time, and actually my brother in law drove one of the boats in the show So i have a small connection thru family, and friends who know those guys well. I grew up in Eagle, so not far from there. ALthough I live in Grafton now.

Its funny, today i got 5 emails from boat dealers, all wheeling and dealing. The vride now will come with tower speakers, racks and a table for the same price. The Mobius is loaded with all I need for 45k, and another guy in delavan is trying to get me into a tige 22ve, while a guy in illinois is throwing a malibu sunscape 21lsv in the mix at 47500. Yikes! Im close to just going for the moomba and being happy with it, even tho the other boats have fancier guages and stuff like that.

Its exhausting!

jmvotto
04-27-2008, 10:12 PM
Do they have a Cool Roo Clan BB.?
Buy the Moomba, already (JK) :D

sailing217
05-01-2008, 01:43 PM
To me it would be Tige or Moomba.
With such a great deal on the Tige I'd opt for it. My criteria was snap-out carpet and that took Moomba and Bu out of the equation.

I have tanks and upgrading to sacs for surfing on my Centurion, so tanks are not so great if you plan to surf.

Pull the trigger already.

2thdoc01
05-01-2008, 03:28 PM
The tige didnt ride so well...for me. It is a NICE boat, well assembled, quality boat, but the wake at 11 mph was not good for me to teach the kids to ski...at least not good in the distance behind Im looking for and comparing to a moomba or malibu.

It also had much more bow rise than the others, and also could not turn as tight of a radius as the other two....not power turns mind you, but just turning around to go back in your own wake.

Now the Mobius and the vride have the nod....and those are a toss up.

yearround
05-01-2008, 05:06 PM
you had previously mentioned something about the gauges on the bu, i prefer the simple dial gauges. i have not cared for the bu all digital, maybe because i don't know how to operate them.

i agree with JM, buy a moomba already.

Sled491
05-01-2008, 09:07 PM
Yep doc, I agree, just buy the Moomba already :D

2thdoc01
05-01-2008, 10:59 PM
He he, youz guyz are funny.

jclay5
10-16-2008, 01:02 PM
Just bored reading through the archives... and I take it this guy chose the vride since he never posted again.. As I was reading through I was really hoping he would have gone for the LSV... I think I've just found my new favorite past time reading through the archives. Its the first time I've been bored enough on this rainy day to sit down and do it.

wvidal
12-21-2008, 12:36 AM
he did buy the vride I saw where he was posting on the malibu crew page I've been doing the same comparison he was the lsv vs the vride my dealer sells both. are there any big improvements on the 09 vs the 08 lsv?