PDA

View Full Version : Talier brakes acting up.

NCSUmoomba
04-23-2008, 02:58 PM
Hey gang, I am having some trouble with my brakes and was wondering if anyone else has had any trouble. It seems like that my brakes will randomly not disengage when backing up occasionally. Sometimes it works fine, and sometimes I can feel the brakes engage when I am backing up. It seems like that if I put the truck back in drive and pull forward and try to back up again, after a couple of times it will disengage. It also seems like if I wiggle the trailer plug a little bit, it will start working again. The plug looks fine and none of the wires are damaged or loose or anything. For some reason, the solenoid is not always getting the signal to disengage. Have any of you guys had this problem? Any success figuring out what it was? Thanks a bunch.

hiqualityH2O
04-23-2008, 07:15 PM
NC - sounds like a pinched wire or maybe a bad ground. Have you noticed the lights flickering? Just a guess - good luck!

Membrain
04-23-2008, 08:09 PM
You might check the center prong on your RV plug (if you have one), because this is what inactivates/activates the surge brakes while backing. I had the opposite problem, and when I checked my RV plug that plugs into my truck receptacle, I found that it was broken off. Hence, I had intermittent backing capability. You may have a wire in the plug that is touching the center prong, which will also tend to lock down your trailer brakes.

K_E_N
04-24-2008, 11:28 AM
Don't overlook the tow vehicle being the cause. I think, not sure, but think the back up feature works off of your back-up lights of your vehicle. If they are working intermittently, then you may have a bad back-up light switch or related problem. Otherwise, intermittent problems are as previously stated a bad wire or loose connection somewhere, either positive or ground.

Eric Z
04-25-2008, 11:11 AM
There is a little prong under your tounge. Push it in when they lock up. I had the same problem. If you have a manual for the trailer look at it that is where I found it. The prong is on the bottom where the tounge part meets the rest of the trailer. If you can't get it fixed I can get you a picture this weekend. :D

Mikey
04-25-2008, 11:03 PM
Could be something as simple as something loose or poor connection in your wiring plug.I had a plug given to me by my dealer which worked perfect. Then took boat back for detailing and got a different plug which acted up as you say,got tired of sporatically acting up so i switched the plug and so far so good no more problems. 8)