PDA

View Full Version : Break-in period is killing me...

McMoomba
04-22-2008, 10:30 AM
I know it is necessary but It is killing me to not "get on it" and not play with the ballast. Luckily the water is cold so I am not ready to get in. We are at 5 hrs and I need to get it broken-in over the next couple of weeks and the weather is not cooperating. Oh well enough whining..... :cry:

newty
04-22-2008, 10:49 AM
My dealer said 5 hours was more than enogh for the break-in period. You should be fine.

ian ashton
04-22-2008, 11:20 AM
At least you guys are on the water! I've got a month and a half, plus 5-10 hours before I can get behind my boat!

cptmoomba
04-22-2008, 11:43 AM
If it is really killing you, do some searches on this site about break in periods. You will get mixed reviews, but in my experience, I was behind my Outback after 4 hours and my supra within the first 2 hours.

I have heard from engine guys locally, that these boats are rigorously tested before shipping to a dealer. To me rigorously by them is more load that I put on an engine. Another anonymous quote to me was that the breakin period is to "train" first time inboard owners on the nuances of driving and inboard.

I am in no way a professional engine guy. I have had no problems with either of my Indmars. The 07 outback had 160 hrs when I sold it, and my new supra has 50 hrs with no issues.

Hope this helps.

tlatoani
04-22-2008, 02:44 PM
It is too cold to get in the water in Texas? I was in the water in Illinois 2 weeks ago with no wetsuit.

Ok, I cheated and went to a heated lake. But still, it's Texas. Can't you boat in January?

McMoomba
04-22-2008, 03:05 PM
Yea, sounds a little wimpy, I'm waiting for 70deg. water. I expect to buy a wetsuit to extend the season.

bambam26
04-22-2008, 04:11 PM
I am with you on this issue, I have my beautiful new boat and the weather will not cooperate with me! I have about the same number of hours myself, but I am using the breakin time to become familiar with all the tricks to driving these boats and teaching my wife and girls to drive also..

bradcraig78
04-22-2008, 04:45 PM
Hey McMoomba the water feels great in Dallas. Been in the last two weeks.

TPomeroy
04-22-2008, 06:54 PM
I was a wimp and followed the breakin to the T. Keep in mind my last boat over heated and filled the canyon with smoke. I spend the next few months fixing all the problems associated with an over heated motor.

Call me crazy but I took the time to break my motor in. I can also change an impeller in record time! Live and Learn.

Hughes144
04-22-2008, 10:54 PM
Dude, the Dallas/FT Worth lakes are ready to go! I've been riding every weekend since beginning of February. Last weekend, trunked it for first time and my legs, feet, balls survived with plenty of comforts....

You should be fine and start riding now... I start loading up the ballast and rode immediately right after 5 hours of break-in. WSBD told me 5 hours are enough.

Membrain
04-22-2008, 11:58 PM
The last two days was 90 degrees plus! A week or two of this weather will make bath water out of all Texas Lakes! Then we will all be wishing for weather like this!

We finally have 18 hours on our XLV!

McMoomba
04-23-2008, 12:19 AM
Ok, now that I feel like I need to reclaim my manhood. I will go put my boardshorts on and stop whining.

wake08
04-23-2008, 06:33 AM
I bit the bullet yesterday and got behind the boat after 6.4 hours. My water temp was 58 degrees and i didnt bring my wetsuit because I wasnt planning on riding. I think I feel a cough coming on this morninig but man was is butter out there 8)

YellowMoomba0
04-23-2008, 04:09 PM
I have 5 hours on the new 08 outback now and wish I knew exactly what to do regarding skiing or kneeboarding at this point. 64 ish water temp here in SC

Wake Master
04-23-2008, 06:49 PM
Yellow,
Kneeboarding should not be a problem. This is very little load on the engine. The key to break in is engine cycle (hot to cold) and variable speed in addition to keeping the RPM's down.

Sled491
04-23-2008, 08:26 PM
I was skiing around 7 -8 hrs. on my 07 Outback. If you buy a new chey do you idle it home? Do you drive it around the neighbourhood for a few weeks to break it in? I mean at the end of the day it is still a small block chevy.

Tlatoani, where is this heated lake you keep talking about? Is it private? Because a couple hour drive to a heated lake beats 54 degrees in the Fox 8)

Membrain
04-23-2008, 09:55 PM
Hey Sled, come to Texas, We got some Heated lakes!!!!! :lol:

zegm
04-24-2008, 12:35 AM
Got 4 hours on the new LS and well because she is sooooooo pretty and we get so many compliments on her I am treating her like a Lady! That means I will go by the manual. That doesn't mean you can't pull a couple of kids kneeboarding and so we do! Just don't keep a constant RPM and don't over do it on the upper RPMs. A drawing shows perfect round circles and perfect flat parts. In the Real world this doesn't exist, you need for the engine to kind of wear down any high spots, get all the plain bearings to mate with the crank, get a lot of bearing surface area to match rotating parts area. Loosen things up a little allow them to work together. If you don't you will get friction and heat and sure you won't see it now but later you might wonder "where did that puff of blue smoke come from?"
Again treat it like a Beautiful Woman! Go nice and slow! 8)

tlatoani
04-24-2008, 11:13 AM
I was skiing around 7 -8 hrs. on my 07 Outback. If you buy a new chey do you idle it home? Do you drive it around the neighbourhood for a few weeks to break it in? I mean at the end of the day it is still a small block chevy.

Tlatoani, where is this heated lake you keep talking about? Is it private? Because a couple hour drive to a heated lake beats 54 degrees in the Fox 8)

It is Clinton lake in central IL. Sounds like a long drive to me, and with gas up to 3.59/gal it wouldn't be cheap. I'm sure it's 2-3 hours from the WI border, though it'd be almost all interstate. If you decide to make the trip shoot me an email and I'll tell you which ramp to go to for the warm water.

We went out yesterday for ~6 hours. It was incredible. Some nice guy chased us down and warned us about a big tree floating in an area nearby. We idled over and found a nice limb 6 inches in diameter and ~8ft long. We tied it up and dragged it to the shore. So that's my good deed for the day!

Also ran into a guy from the ski team I was on in school. Gave him a few pulls. He's a slalom skiier, so I warned him that it's not a slalom wake. He took a massive cut, hit the wake HARD, went flying and did about 3 rolls on the water. "yeah, that's not the same wake as a 19ft MC!" Pretty funny.

I was also able to finally toss the surf rope in the boat and ride for a while. Only 30 seconds or so, but I'm getting it!

<end of rambling>

Sled491
04-24-2008, 05:07 PM
Thanks both you guys for the offer but both drives seem a bit excesive :lol:

Besides with my #@& work schedule right now I'm flying all over the country. I might have to start traveling with my ski to get any pulls in.

How a guy who started out as a small home builder in WI ended up with the contracts I get is beyond me :roll: