PDA

View Full Version : dripping water

LSV04
04-21-2008, 04:54 PM
I am not very engine savy-but I try to keep an eye out for leaks when putting the boat back in this time of year. I notice a drip underneath the engine block coming from I guess a large baseball size nut around the rod that goes from the v-drive out the bottom of the boat that attaches to the prop. This year the bildge just burned out and I guess when enough water was in the boat it would just empty. Nothing smells funny.It drips even when the boat is off and docked. We use the boat almost everyday so its always emptied and never was enough water for alarm. I guess if the boat was left for a long period of time it would be a huge problem. Anyone know what this could be and is it normal. And getting to work on the bildge is almost impossible-do you have any tips.

Wake Master
04-21-2008, 07:33 PM
This would be the packing nut where the drive shaft exits the hull. The dripping is normal for the 04 LSV. THe water act as a lube for the packing. You should be concerned if it was not dripping.

04OUTBACK
04-21-2008, 11:15 PM
LSV..
it should only be a slow drip while running...not while parked. There is a lock not on the back of the packing nut that you loosen and then you can tighten down that bigger nut... then retighten the lock nut. Also, there should be 4 pipe clamps behind that nut.. make sure they are all tight
better yet:
http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j14/bradwebb1/packingjamnut.jpg
hope this helps

LSV04
04-22-2008, 08:32 AM
Wow-thanks for the info. Thats exactly where its leaking. I'll give it a go
today .

LSV04
04-22-2008, 06:20 PM
Is there any special wrench to use to get to the nut. I was able to hand tighten the large nut without loosening the smaller nut and it helped.But because of the hoses wasnt able to get wrench on the smaller nut. Its leaking less but i replace my bildge today and I guess I'll keep an eye on iit.

04OUTBACK
04-22-2008, 07:10 PM
I can usually get a pair of channel lock pliers in there on my LSV.

Sounds like it was a bit loose then!

LSV04
04-22-2008, 07:53 PM
thanks again- I'll pick up a pair-sorry for this next stupid question but once I get the wrench on the lock nut which way will loosen the lock nut. The leak got slightly better but Id like to get that lock nut loose. My marina said I could do all this while its in the water.

seanpatsdad
04-23-2008, 04:46 AM
I would get 2 pair of channel locks.1 to hold the jam nut and 1 to tighten the nut.I think the nut is 1 7/8".I have an 04 LSV and had to take the water intake hose off to get on the two nuts good.Made it much easier.Good luck.
John