PDA

View Full Version : Well crap...ballast pump quit working.

TL7
04-19-2008, 06:48 PM
Packing everything up to go back to the dock and the pump wouldn't empty the sack. No humming noise, nothing. It's an 07 Outback...any ideas what to check first? Already checked for a loose wire on the switch. If it was fried it would at least hum, right? The fill works perfectly. Could it be a bad switch? Only had the boat since June, so it's a warranty item but if I could save a trip to the dealer that would be great.

JesseC
04-20-2008, 12:09 AM
The first check that I do before changing the pumps is to check for twelve volts at the motor when the switch is flipped to empty the sacks. If there is twelve volts at the motor, it is fried. When mine burned up there was no humming, smell or anything. Just simply nothing except a 400 pound sack full of water. Pulled the evac line and let the bilge pump do the work! So for the next few days we just kept pulling the line on the one bag and letting it empty into the bilge. Remember there is an evac pump for each bag, the fill pump has NOTHING to do with emptying the bags, it is simpy used to fill them. You have to locate the small evac pumps near the bags.