PDA

View Full Version : 08 Mobius LSV or Yamaha 212x?

2thdoc01
04-19-2008, 06:07 PM
New on here....

Looking for a family boat, that is comfy for cruising, doesnt mind some small to mid ht chop, easy to drive, fun to just relax on, and wont break the bank.

I have 3 kids...9.5, 8, 5 and they will be learning to ski, board, etc. They love to tube.

I need a boat that doesnt suck gas too bad, is about 21 feet, has enough juice to pull a few tubes, and is safe for the kids to be around and in.

Looked at both yesterday, and seemed the Yamaha was better for cruising and hanging out. Looks like its a bit less money also. I am concerned about the jet wash in the wake..not that I need a pro wake..and the size of it. It looks to be a bit deeper than the moomba LSV and maybe the sides are taller too...

What should an LSV with tower, Bimini and trailer run me with the base engine?

Any advice is appreciated.

2thdoc01
04-19-2008, 06:23 PM
Ed,

Thanks for the reply, but why? How nice are the new LSVs for just sitting around and entertaining while kids swim? Just curious if the upholstery is padded enough and the seat ht is such that it wont be difficult for older folks to get out of their seats...the Outback seating was waaaaay too low.

Is there a way to add a table to these boats?

Do they handle rougher water decent enough that I wont have kids crapping themselves if I have to cross the lake and there is a bunch of chop?

I just recall riding in my bro in laws mastercraft and it was like getting slapped in the ass.
KK

qb12
04-19-2008, 06:46 PM
New on here....

Looking for a family boat, that is comfy for cruising, doesnt mind some small to mid ht chop, easy to drive, fun to just relax on, and wont break the bank.

I have 3 kids...9.5, 8, 5 and they will be learning to ski, board, etc. They love to tube.

I need a boat that doesnt suck gas too bad, is about 21 feet, has enough juice to pull a few tubes, and is safe for the kids to be around and in.

Looked at both yesterday, and seemed the Yamaha was better for cruising and hanging out. Looks like its a bit less money also. I am concerned about the jet wash in the wake..not that I need a pro wake..and the size of it. It looks to be a bit deeper than the moomba LSV and maybe the sides are taller too...

What should an LSV with tower, Bimini and trailer run me with the base engine?

Any advice is appreciated.

doc, you have got to be kidding... trust me the handling of a "true inboard" is second to none. futhermore the resale is a major issue. those piece of crap jet boats just suck :shock:

Buttafewcoe
04-19-2008, 07:04 PM
LMAO.....can't hep it....that boys' a hoot!
:lol:
B

2thdoc01
04-19-2008, 07:37 PM
LOL,

I know they handle well, but my main concern is how they fare for the comfort part...you cant board and ski ALL day....at least not me, im too old for that.

Jeez, the Yamaha jet boat guys were pretty positive about the Moomba....

yearround
04-19-2008, 08:18 PM
go with the LSV. otherwise you will be back to it in a couple years.

i grew up with stern drives, had my own til i made the step this year to the LSV.

we have 4 kids, 13, 11, 9, 3. we are very happy with the free board depth. today on the lake, the wind came up and we had 2' swells. all felt very safe. nothing came over the bow,

another great thing is the fact that that you can have another family your size on the boat. we have been out with friends on the boat, 4 adults, 7 children. no problem for space. no problem for riding either. with the load of people (i know they weren't all big) and the gravity 3 loaded, the boat came out fine.

as for a table, we took the advise of a great dealer and we have a couple collapsible TV trays that we stow for use. (2 tables $40, stubbing your toe on the table post hole? $$$ ruined the rest of the day riding for sure)

of course you are asking the moomba board. we are all very humble about our rides and none are overtly dogmatic regarding our preferences (there are even a few threads about some silly bow ties and ovals. i guess i am animal lover, i like horns)

i would bet that you could even find someone around you that would take you for a ride and experience things differnt than the dealer demo.

zabooda
04-19-2008, 08:33 PM
The 50 gallon tank should clue you in on breaking the bank. Jet pumps are cheap but very inefficent. Only practical place for a jet pump is in shallow water. I'm not crazy about driving a power boat without a rudder either. Pick a propeller driven boat over a jet pump. A friend has an aluminum river boat with a pump and he talks about having to go underneath and pull weeds out of the intake and it isn't an easy chore and happens often and the rivers here are really clean except around the boat launches.

cab13367
04-19-2008, 09:47 PM
2thdoc01,

I have a 2006 Moomba LSV. Before that, I had a 20' stern drive. I briefly contemplated the Yamaha before buying the Moomba but lost interest when I read that the Yamaha does not have much of a wake. The jet drives suck the fuel too, I'm told.

Each type of boat has it's upsides and downsides. Depends on what your priorities are. For the same size boat, a stern drive is generally less expensive, and you can get one with a small 5.0 liter V8 or even a V6 so it's more economical to operate. They generally have a deeper V which translates into higher freeboard and a better ride in rough water. On the downside, it doesn't plane very well at slow speeds which is where your younger ones will want to be towed when they start skiing and boarding. I remember on my stern drive, I was either on plane at a minimum of about 22 mph, or I would fall off plane and be going 13 - it was a constant struggle to maintain a speed in the mid to high teens. For cruising and tubing and big water, the stern drive is the better choice, in my opinion.

A V-drive wakeboard boat, on the other hand, has a larger base engine (5.7L v8) so it burns a bit more gas than a stern drive. The wakeboat also has a shallower V which means it planes out at a much lower speed so your little ones can learn to ski and wakeboard at a comfortable speed. The shallower V also means less freeboard and a rougher ride in big water. Wakeboard boats can be ordered with a built in ballast system for creating larger wakes for wakeboarding and surfing and Perfect Pass for automatic speed control, both of which are not available on most stern drives. You can surf behind a wakeboat whereas you cannot behind a stern drive. Wakeboats (and other fixed prop boats) are harder to steer at slow speeds and will only reverse in one direction.

I can't speak for the jet drive boats as I did not look into them very far and have never ridden on one.

So again, it's a matter of priorities. The LSV is the perfect boat for us (me, wife, 11 yeard old son and 4 year old daughter). We wakeboard, surf, tube and occassionally pull a skier and the LSV can do it all. It's also rated to hold 13 people so we can bring lots of friends is we want, has a nice wrap around lounge, and plenty of storage space.

A new 2008 Mobius LSV with tower and trailer will set you back at least in the low 40's and probably close to mid 40's.

Hope that helps.

Al

bamaspiveys
04-19-2008, 11:35 PM
You can't really expect people on the moomba board to suggest you buy a jet boat can you? We are as close to a cult as it gets, look around! I am glad the yamaha guys told you the truth and spoke favorably of the moomba,were just telling you what we have experienced.

I have been on the water for over 25 years, I have skied, outboards, inboards, sterndrives, jetboats, jetskis, vdrives, you name I have probably skied behind it or taken it for a ride. I can tell you there is nothing in the world that pulls, or drives like an inboard, and for the money Moomba is the best value on the market!

You say you want comfort for the family, well I am sure you can find a comfortable yamaha and a comfortable moomba, so you really only have a performance decison.

When you are anchored it will not matter if you are in a moomba or a yamaha because you picked a comfortable boat, but when your kid is 13 and wants to pop that wakeboard off a real wake it will make a hell of a difference which boat you are in.

Find a moomba that you can be comfortable in and fits your price range, there are tons of good used moombas out there, you don't have to buy new.

Then you can join the clan, I mean cult.

zabooda
04-20-2008, 12:24 AM
Remember, if there is NO water passing through the jet pump, there is NO way to steer the boat. So, if you let off the gas or throttle in order to avoid running into an object, you have just insured the fact that YOU WILL RUN INTO THAT OBJECT because you can NO LONGER STEER!

ian ashton
04-20-2008, 08:48 AM
I spent all last summer on a 23' Yamaha SX230; its a great all around boat, but quite a bit larger than anything in the Moomba line-up. The overall quality seemed to be decent, 2 of my buddies actually bought the same exact boat, and both had the same problems; trim around storage compartment fell off within the first week of ownership, cracks in the gel coat around the windshield, etc.

The nice thing about jet boats (compared to inboards) is that you don't have to worry about bashing your prop in to things, however you do have to be careful of what you suck up: we sucked a rope into the impeller, and let me tell you that was a fun task to repair in the middle of the lake. The freeboard on the Yamaha a lot more than the Moomba too from what I remember, which might be better for kids.

The Moomba interiors blow Yamaha out of the water, in my opinion. I wakeboarded and tubed behind the Yamaha, it wasn't terrible, but if your looking to do any sort of jumping or anything I think you will be very disappointed. Both are great all around boats, I'd go with the Moomba (and did, just ordered my boat last month). The resale value, the overall build quality, the interiors, the unique-ness, and the wake are all going to be much better. All Yamaha's look the same; with Moomba you can special order exactly what you want, and personalize it.

04OUTBACK
04-20-2008, 09:21 AM
RESALE VALUE:
DO this... write down the price of each new now.
Look up a used 2007 value, a 2006 value, etc..

Compare them. The yamaha will fall at a much greater rate, than any Inboard ski/wake boat. I have had a couple of SeaDoo's and if you buy one new, you lose a ton the first year! trust me.

I have had an Outback and now an LSV. Love them both. Look at the Outback V as Well. Great boat too.

Sled491
04-20-2008, 09:36 AM
I'm with everyone about the resale. I would also have a difficuult time trying to do an honest comparrison of 2 boats that are about as similar as a house cat and a leopard. Sure the both feline but that's where the similarities basically end.

Join the Inboard clan and you will be in a great club with more rewards than drawbacks. I have a friend with a Yamaha boat. He seems to enjoy it, but always rants about upgrading to a ski boat. I don't hear too many ski boat owners ranting about how they can't wait to sell there boat and get a Jet boat :D

If your still reading these posts take that for what it's worth 8)

2thdoc01
04-20-2008, 11:40 PM
Thanks guys! Very very good stuff!

The LSV seems to be deep enough to keep the kiddies in boat. Is there a way to add a table in this boat? I see the Malibu's (sorry if thats a swear word here!) have a table mount in the rear..Id think that would just about seal it for momma!

Sled...Im in Grafton, wi...where did you buy your boat?

Sled491
04-21-2008, 12:45 AM
Really,

I bought my boat from Lauderdale lakes marine. Dealt with Brian the sales manager. Send me a PM and I'll give you my name to through around at the dealer. Great guys, in fact I just picked up my boat from winter storage from them on friday.

Our summer house is on Lower Nembahbin, but we live near Tichigan and the Fox river.

yearround
04-21-2008, 01:04 AM
Is there a way to add a table in this boat? I see the Malibu's (sorry if thats a swear word here!) have a table mount in the rear..Id think that would just about seal it for momma!

we looked at the table mounts also. a table is very useful to have when floating, lunching, etc. i think the table attachment you saw, the side bracket attached to the seat support fiberglass, would put a huge stress on the attachment point.

think about this, you get up to grab another bit of cheese, a beer, lotion to rub on momma, a huge set of rollers come in from nowhere, you (not momma or one of the kids) grab the table for your balance, only to crash to the floor as the bracket pulls out of the boat and you have to pay to clean the carpet, redo the fiberglass, you probably spilled your beer, etc. and BTW, that fancy malibu table attachment just cost you $20k extra.

we use a plastic top folding TV tray, the kind you can store under the sofa, or in any of the numerous storage locations on the moomba. it costs about $20.00, you know it will only hold the stuff you put on it, you won't be tempted to grab it when the rollers come. if you do grab it and it collapses, it was only a $20 table and $10 of food, you probably saved your beer.

if you really want the side mount table, i am sure west marine, overtons, etc may have something similar. i wouldn't buy a boat based on the table option.

JoeTechie
04-21-2008, 01:12 AM
Stop being so formal.

Go buy a vinyl picnic table cover (white and red cheks @ Wallyworld), and one of the extra large beach towels (Target) Lay them down on top of each other in the back of the LSV and have a picnic. Kids love the idea of eating on the floor. Spills do not get to the carpet, roll it up, shake it out, then store it when done - takes up no room at all.

-J

Sled491
04-21-2008, 09:19 AM
I may be way off here, and obviously this doesn't work in my Outback, but why not use an RV style tabel and base. Some of them are flush and have a quick lock. The post and table come apart for easy storage, and they are very inexpensive at some RV whole sale stores

ian ashton
04-21-2008, 09:32 AM
I may be way off here, and obviously this doesn't work in my Outback, but why not use an RV style tabel and base. Some of them are flush and have a quick lock. The post and table come apart for easy storage, and they are very inexpensive at some RV whole sale stores

That is basically what the table in the Yamaha is like. I can't speak for the Malibu, as I've never seen it.

Or you could just but a Direct Drive boat, then you've always got a "table" right in the middle of the boat, no need to worry about storing it!

cab13367
04-21-2008, 02:59 PM
2thdoc01,

I too have thought it would be nice if the Moomba's came with a table, but these are some of the things that are cut out to keep the price low. If you can find a recessed, floor mount table base, you should be able to have it installed, assuming there is room under the floor for it. The floor on the LSV is aluminum and comes up in two rectangular pieces so it should not be too hard to remove it and see.

What we did one time is to slide the rear bench towards the front (it's moveable on the LSV), put a towel on it, and used it as a picnic table. The V-drive cover (a rectangular box that is under the rear seat) served as the perfect bench for our two little ones.

Hope that helps.

Al

2thdoc01
04-22-2008, 03:49 PM
Im driving the Mobius lsv tomorrow, along with the Malibu V drive.

What is the diff between the 2 boats? Pros and cons?

Also, what can I be looking at for cost on the 08 LSV with the things that are needed options?

KK

04OUTBACK
04-22-2008, 07:15 PM
Malibu Vride is a great boat as well and a better choice than a yamaha.
One thing for comparison: You'll probably be able to get an LSV LOADED for the price of a V Ride with basics. Just from my shopping last year.
You can build and price an LSV on Moomba webpage. You have to create a login to do that, but they don't bother you. YOu can see the final price... Not sure what dealers are taking off right now.. but, I imagine neither Moomba or Malibu dealer is real aggressive at this time of the year when everyone wants a boat..

local 11 spark
04-22-2008, 08:17 PM
2thdoc01,
I had a Seadoo Challenger 1800 that I bought in '01, when it was a year old. It had a Merc V-6, 210 HP. Plenty of speed, max at about 60MPH. It was a nice boat. This January, I bought an '08 Outback. Hear me when I say this...NO COMPARISON!!! The Outback is BY FAR a more comfortable, powerful, better boat than the Seadoo. The Seadoo, which I think is a better boat than the Yamaha, with wide open throttle, hammer down, would drag me a while before I could get up on the ski. I've been told that this Outback will pop me up straight away. I'm 5'10, 185#. Water has been too cold(45 degrees) for me to prove it, but all of my friends say to ski behind a comp boat is, well, HEAVEN!! good luck on your choice, you've got alot of people here giving you good advice... 8)

2thdoc01
04-22-2008, 08:36 PM
Thanks a bunch. I see that boat owners are quite the cult! I get all kinds of opinions on all the diff boat boards.

I think the thing that rings true is that it will be easier to tow the kids at slower speeds and maintain it.

I also think/know the moomba is a heck of a deal for what you get.

I wont be able to sleep tonight.

local 11 spark
04-22-2008, 10:19 PM
Ataboy!!! 8)

pickle311
04-22-2008, 10:49 PM
I currently own an 05 Outback and went to take a serious look at the Malibu VRide. It's a nice boat with a proven hull. It can throw a killer wake, but so does the LSV. What I didn't like is that it's completely stripped out, even in comparrison to a stripped down LSV. Camparing both to each other in the base modle form, the Moomba is a little better equipped. Everything in the Malibu was plastic, like the cup holders and grab handles. Moomba is all stainless. In the end, I bought a Moomba LSV earlier this week and got it pretty much loaded out. It was cheaper than the completely stripped Malibu that didn't even have a radio.

Good luck and you will love the Moomba, they are great boats.

2thdoc01
04-23-2008, 10:05 PM
Well The Yammy was crap! LOL My wife hatedSee my other post for comparo...

BTW, does anyone notice a bit more "vibration" or "noise" when accelerating? It seems like its in the drive train and you can hear it and feel it. it was more noticable than the malibu for sure.

My 5 gripes:

Noise/vibration in floor vs vride
The way the passenger storage access door opens into the boat instead of up and it squeeks when you lean back and move.
non swivel cpt chair
Cable throttle system...harder to maintain speed vs wire system in vride
Steering seems a bit more "heavy" than Vride..is it the same system?