PDA

View Full Version : bad optimas ??????

MOBIU5
04-18-2008, 02:10 AM
just summerized my boat and have dual optimas. had them charged at interstate battery and they're burning rotten sulfur - no threads anywhere but it looks like i have the only 2 bad optimas in the history of this board - they're just out of full warranty (18 month) but should be able to get something out of them thankfully. atleast i didn't have to replace impellar this year :D :D :D pain in the *** for a v-drive

anyone else burn up optimas ???

ian ashton
04-18-2008, 09:45 AM
I had an Optima Yellow-top in one of my car stereo competition vehicles that went bad, but it was a cause of excessive charging. Its possible that they didn't do a slow charge, and just did a 75-150 amp zap, which could cook it.

MOBIU5
04-18-2008, 10:24 AM
took them back in this morning - the one i had running accessories is good - the other is cooked. he has to do a test before they can give me a new one. funny thing is he was saying they have no acid so they shouldn't be smelling. i can tell you it was and 3 of us didn't imagine it. should get taken care of though for another year or two. had no problems with them last 2 seasons. just one of those boat start-up things.

JesseC
04-18-2008, 10:59 AM
Buddy of mine had a red top go bad in less than six months! I have been debating putting one in.

MOBIU5
04-20-2008, 08:55 PM
went to get my battery replaced saturday at Interstate Battery. the guy looks it up and wants to pro-rate my guarantee based on the list price of the battery instead of what i paid which meant he would sell me a new battery for about $3 off. told him i would talk to the manager on Monday. who wasn't in of course. the reason i got these batteries was because they have a 3 year warranty that was their main selling point. right now i would reccomend to stay away from Interstate battery - think they're the ones who fried it to begin with, and Optimas for that matter. if i wanted a battery that last 20 months i would buy one for half the price at walmart.

anyone have recommendations for a new starting battery? what do you guys use? thanks...

BENTLEYBOY
04-20-2008, 09:51 PM
Sears Die Hard. Sears has always been easy to deal with on warranty issues.

Burke
04-21-2008, 02:47 PM
I had a Yellow top Optima go bad in just under a month last year. Even after charging it, it wouldn't hold the proper voltage. Took it back and they swapped it out - no questions asked. No problems since.

Sled491
04-21-2008, 07:05 PM
As far as Interstate batteries go I have had fair success with them. I used them in my Nitro for starting and my 24 volt trolling system. I also have 2 of them in my Diesel. I get about 2 yrs out of them no matter what they are used for and then I have to replace them :wink:

MOBIU5
04-22-2008, 12:46 AM
was probably expecting too much to think they would last much longer than any other battery. optima stood up and offered to replace my burnt battery today based on what i payed for them so i never had to go back to interstate battery, thankfully ! optima is supposed to ship me a new one for about $120 ($50 off original price). kudos to them. starting third season with the other one and ran everything off it this weekend with no problems.

thanks for the info will do my homework next time around. that small print will get ya.