PDA

View Full Version : Underwater Lights

SquidBilly
04-16-2008, 03:59 PM
First off I want to say "Hello". This is my first time to post and I am a new member.

I started my love of Moomba with an '03 Outback until last year when I upgraded to a '07 Mobius XLV GG which only pulled me in deeper.

With the Outback I was always adding things like a tower, speakers, lights, ballast, you name it. So... when it came time to buy a new boat I thought I got everything I wanted all at once in the GG. It was fine last year but I still seem to have found a few things to add, one of which are underwater lights. Has anyone personaly done this? I was shocked when I saw the thread of an install of the exact lights I have ordered on the Supra post. The only problem is I want to do the install myself and he had a shop do it.
The dealer in my area estimated about 450.00 for the labor. There is NO way it is this hard. I am ok with the wiring part but my hang up is the mounting and through holes. I am a little gunshy of drilling into the hull.
What type of filler is best to use for the mounting holes and wires?
I want to mount them under the swimdeck one on each side of the wakeplate, what problems could I run into there (structualy or just hitting something)?
If anyone has any tips on this even with out an install of lights please help.

Thanks

04OUTBACK
04-16-2008, 07:33 PM
If the hole is your concern, find a body shop that works with fiberglass, and pay them to drill the hole! There also may be a boat / fiberglass repair shop near that would do that for little $.

I have LITTLE experience with drilling fiberglass.. I have a new remote to add to the transom, but have same fears you do.. not in a hurry to drill.

I have heard you start in reverse to score surface and also tape the area with masking tape to keep it from splintering/chipping.

I have seen the underwater lighting and LOVE it.. I don't ride at night any and the river I ride in is not real clear so it would not do much for me anyway...
There are some New Underwater LED options that are surface mounts yet you run a SMALL wire through the hull. Much better option i think.
Look on wakeworld message board as well. there was a thread a few months ago on this.
B

SquidBilly
04-17-2008, 02:29 PM
Good idea. I have a budy that is a painter for an auto body shop. I will give him a call. If he can't help maybe someone at the shop will be able to.
Hopefully if I get some good info and the weather holds out I will start work on it this weekend.

I will try to get some pics of the install to help others out if they need it.

Sled491
04-17-2008, 08:03 PM
Deerfield had a post earlier about addding underwater lights to his Outback, look him up and check his progress

bradcraig78
04-18-2008, 12:01 PM
i have heard people use the bolts of the swim platform to make the connection without drilling. Others question if this would lead to faster corrosion of the bolts. The low voltage needed to run the lights will not shock you but may cause the bolts to corrode faster.

SquidBilly
05-01-2008, 11:39 AM
Well, I have taken the plunge and made the install. It took a little time but only because I was so worried about drilling through the transom. All and all it went realy well. The only problem I ran into was drilling a hole and running the wire straight into the transom due to clearance behind the lights.
I mounted the lights on the outside of each baffel. There must be a "rib" or "beam" for suport in that spot witch would have made it nearly imposible to fish the wire at a 90* angle to pull it out of there. I ended up having to drill at a 45* angle down and tward the engine well and go through a lot of glass to get there. I also had to be very carfull of the exsalst pipe as I came out just under each one. There was a lot of back and forth from drilling to looking in the engine well because clearence was very tight. After that it was just runing the wire up to and under the drivers console where I mounted the reducer and hooked up power from the factory power board. I mounted the switch beside the factory ballast switch location and there it is.
I have some work in progress and finnish pics that I will post and if I get it in the water this weekend I will have some in water pics to share.

If any one has this type of project in mind I will be glad to help walk you through it from what I've learned.

'07 XLV GG

spyder
05-01-2008, 02:06 PM
pics?

SquidBilly
05-02-2008, 02:43 PM
First set of pics. This is where the lights are mounted. Don't know if you can see the center hole being drilled at 45*.

Razzman
05-02-2008, 03:10 PM
What brand of lights are those?

SquidBilly
05-02-2008, 03:17 PM
The lights are from Abyss Technologies, and I used the S-800 Deep Blue.
You can check it out here.

http://www.abysslite.com/information.php

spyder
05-02-2008, 03:29 PM
Man, with tower lights and transom lights, you could keep surfin all night long :p

j/k, i don't actually condone riding past sunset... but you almost could...;)

SquidBilly
05-06-2008, 05:41 PM
The completed install.

pickle311
05-06-2008, 06:15 PM
I really want some of those but can't justify the price.

spyder
05-06-2008, 08:07 PM
get some photos in the water! ;)

JesseC
05-07-2008, 05:33 PM
Looks really good! Just don't drive off with that drain plug sitting on the wake plate!!! Could end up being a quick day at the lake! I keep two spares in the glove box.

newty
05-07-2008, 10:40 PM
Squid, I love those! I've been wanting to do a set my self. What did those run you cost wise?
Clean install! Nice work.

SquidBilly
05-08-2008, 07:21 PM
Thanks Guys.

I did get in the water last weekend but couldn't stay past dark. I am looking forward to see how well it lights up the water too. I will post pics as soon as I do.

Newty - the install wasn't all that bad but I did spend a little change. The lights ran about 300 ea. and their switch was like 30. The reducer came with the kit and just a bit more $ for wire at Home Depot.
I have seen a few others out there a little cheaper but these seem real solid and of good quality. I say go for it. It will be real cool pulling up the marina at night.

tazz3069
05-08-2008, 10:01 PM
Those lights look awesome. As much as i would love to add a little bling to the boat, I really do not ride at night. Usually after a hard day of skiing, wakebording, and drinking, we are tired. Hit the campsight before dark, get cleaned up, I make dinner, and enjoy the evening. I have the tower lights just in case we want to do a set at dusk. LOL

Sled491
05-08-2008, 10:20 PM
I bet those are gonna look Great!

Mallardhunter83
06-24-2008, 08:54 PM
A few months ago i was able to buy 2 pair for my boat for 90 dollars a pair on ebay. They look good at night, and were easy to install.

rjgaumer
05-06-2010, 07:50 PM
Use the Oznium flood lights. I installed them and they are awesome. And they only cost 18 bucks :)

http://www.oznium.com/marine-led-light

Sled491
05-06-2010, 07:58 PM
Price is right, do you have any pics?

stretch55
05-06-2010, 08:23 PM
Use the Oznium flood lights. I installed them and they are awesome. And they only cost 18 bucks :)

http://www.oznium.com/marine-led-light

Do you have any pics of those installed. I would like to see where you installed them and how they look at night and in the water.

polar21
05-07-2010, 10:13 AM
For anyone wanting some decent underwater lights but dont want to pay the Abyss price, check out www.coastalnightlights.com. I am not affiliated with the owner but we have them on our fishing boat and they are freaking awesome. Reasonably priced and we have had ours over a year with no problems (crap, I just jinxed myself).

viking
05-07-2010, 04:31 PM
Do you have any pics of those installed. I would like to see where you installed them and how they look at night and in the water.

I am intersted to see them installed and how they project as well. Can't imagine for $18 they can compete with Abyss and others?? I'd like to see some in use!! Thanx

Razzman
05-07-2010, 05:45 PM
I am intersted to see them installed and how they project as well. Can't imagine for $18 they can compete with Abyss and others?? I'd like to see some in use!! Thanx

Viking they don't and can't compete with the big guns as they don't have the power. BUT you put a few of those things on the back and they will light up the surrounding area. Obviously it will depend on the water clarity.

While they are not included here's a link to the Underwater Light Test (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=702750&highlight=underwater+light+test) done on WW. Notice one of the lights is called "Baller1", that's about what to expect, maybe even less as that one had three LED's i believe.

Sled491
05-07-2010, 07:37 PM
To be honest if you look at the pictures from the 3rd row which shows the light behind the platform, none look really outstanding. I mean for 600 bucks is looks a bit better but not great. In the pool and the first row do show some significant differences, but last I checked my boat goes in the lake not the pool :)

newty
05-08-2010, 01:47 PM
I need to get a shot of mine in the water. Im interested to see what kind of output they have.

Razzman
05-10-2010, 09:09 AM
So here's the original thread on WW that started the whole test over there. Underwater LED's (http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/3183/679956.html?1242187495)