PDA

View Full Version : high temp

Yellowmobius
04-16-2008, 08:48 AM
Took the LSV out for the first time yesterday. Fired it up, did the initial check to make sure nothing was leaking and what not. Drove around half hour or so just taking it easy and watching gauges, everything looked good. After the first wakeboard set we noticed the temp was rising above 180. Headed back to check things out and load up as the temp was not coming back down. I suspect the thermostat, at least that is the first thing I am going to try. Any other suggestions? I installed a new impeller this winter.

BLKOUTLS
04-16-2008, 09:58 AM
Bruce take a look at your fresh water intake and check that any critters
didnt try to make a nest in there. you may have sucked up some leaves
or junk in there as well that are acting like a toliet bowl flapper against the transmission cooler screen.its worth a look. the tstat may also have something sticking it shut. hope this helps

Chris

MOBIU5
04-20-2008, 09:09 PM
"you may have sucked up some leaves
or junk in there as well that are acting like a toliet bowl flapper against the transmission cooler screen."

this is the one to check esp. if you burned up that last impellar while running the boat. had this issue last year and chunks of rubber from the impellar blocking flow along with other trash. the way the it was described as a toilet flapper is about right. which is why it can run at temp until you try to start wakeboarding or get in rough water. thats when you will start overheating. take the hose apart and clean all that stuff out and you will be good as new. good luck.

Yellowmobius
04-21-2008, 01:26 PM
Update, ??????????????????????????????????????
I couldn't wait for the new thermostat to get here so I proceeded. I tested the old thermo and it seemed to be fine. After thinking about it, not to often a thermo goes bad. Anyway, I hooked the garden hose up after reinstalling the old thermostat and checking every hose connection from the impeller back to inlet. I also removed and reinstalled the impeller, looks like a new one would.
So I fired it up with the garden hose, ran it up to 180 and the temp held. Took it to the river and ran it for a few hours yesterday and got in 3 wakeboard sets. Everything seems fine now.

Bummer is I don't know exactly what caused the temp to rise in the first place and I also don't know for sure what the fix was.

Dazed and confused...... but happy everything seems to be ok

Sled491
04-21-2008, 07:11 PM
YM,

was out for my maiden voyage on saturday and had a similar problem. Keep in mind the water was about 52 degrees. But sometimes it was around 135 but most of the time at 180, but one time is climbed its way to 210 and was still going when I decided to shut her down and see what was up. All intake lines were cool, impeller housing was cold and manifolds and all other lines were just warm :?

Must be an early season Gremlin 8)