PDA

View Full Version : Tower Mirror Mount

K_E_N
04-15-2008, 12:29 PM
I wanting to add a tower mounted mirror to my '04 LSV. Any suggestions? I've looked into several and pricing ranges from about $100 with mirror up to nearly $250 without mirror. Do the cheaper ones tend to vibrate too bad to see out of, or do they work just as well?

GeauxTigers
04-15-2008, 02:14 PM
The "cheaper" ones ARE cheap. I bought a very inexpensive one for my old Bayliner and regreted "saving" $100 the moment I installed it. Whatever you do, do not buy one from EBAY unless it's from a well known brand such as Monster.

moombadaze
04-15-2008, 02:39 PM
i won one at the florida jamboree-2003 lsv, anyway ive been out 2 times since munting it on the tower and im taking it off and putting the old windshield frame mounted one back up. this is the factory mirror arm-forget the name of it, but the vibrations were driving me nuts. for the bling it looked good but not practical-if you fold your tower down like i do for parking in the garage i have to take it off.-major pain in the butt. it would hit the front side of the boat

stacy

cab13367
04-15-2008, 03:54 PM
I wanting to add a tower mounted mirror to my '04 LSV. Any suggestions? I've looked into several and pricing ranges from about $100 with mirror up to nearly $250 without mirror. Do the cheaper ones tend to vibrate too bad to see out of, or do they work just as well?
Ken,

On my previous boat, I bought one of the cheap, fixed arms. I had two issues with it: First, it did not come with inserts so installing it meant that you had metal to metal contact and scratches galore on the tower. Second, it is only adjustable along one plane so depending on what tower you have, you may or you may not be able to get it to sit level.

For my Moomba, I bought the monster tower arm (monstertower.com). It runs $170 with the mirror, $115 without (you will need the inserts). It's very well made, it's rock solid, the arm rotates around the clamp and the clamp obviously rotates around the tower so you can position it exactly how you want it, and the arm & mirror is removable with a quick flip of a lever so it's secure and it doesn't take a beating from rocks and bugs while trailering. It also comes with inserts to fit a variety of tower sizes and protects the tower as well.

I'm very pleased with it. It doesn't look "dope" like some other ones but it's perfectly functional.

Hope that helps.

Al
http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg276/cab13367/mirror.jpg

moombadaze
04-15-2008, 05:34 PM
Al, any vibrations with that arm? that would work great for myself but i dont think monster makes it for the smaller diamature tower's

stacy

im going to go on there website and check it out

cab13367
04-15-2008, 06:39 PM
Stacy,

No vibrations within the mirror/arm/clamp assembly.

I don't think that monster makes an insert for a 2-3/8" tower (they make a 2-1/4" and a 2-1/2" so they recommend that you use one of each). I'm not sure exactly what I ended up doing - I think I wrapped some rubberized tape around the tower to build up the thickness a little and then used the 2-1/2" inserts as the inserts are pretty rigid plastic and I couldn't get the 2-1/4" to work on my 2-3/8" tower. Yeah, I think that's what I ended up doing.

Al

bigbadjon_LSV
04-15-2008, 07:00 PM
K_E_N -

I have an extra tower mirror mount if you are interested. I bought one not knowing that one was coming installed on my new LSV. It is a Roswell Wakeair S.I. Team Mirror Arm. I never used it, but it is definitely a high quality mirror. Here is the website:

http://www.roswellwakeair.com/content/view/25/48/

I'll take $250 + shipping, or best offer.

K_E_N
04-15-2008, 08:48 PM
Cab, thanks, I think I will go with Monster.
Jon, thanks, but that's a little more than I was intending upon spending. I'm hoping to keep it less than $150.

Aquaholic
04-15-2008, 10:20 PM
There is a mastercraft mirror and arm for sale on www.wakeworld.com under classifieds in accessories its way down the list but he was asking 150. I have the same arm and its removeable and is very sweet. its worth a little digging to find it.

moombadaze
04-16-2008, 12:32 PM
talked to monster tower-for the smaller diamature towers the mirror arm will work with there universal inserts. may also need a cipa extreme mirror adaptor-to work with the ball and socket style mirrors.
arm $115
adaptor $35

for the adaptor
http://monstertower.com/mt_cipa_adaptor.htm

stacy

Aquaholic
04-16-2008, 03:47 PM
I found this and think they are really cool!! There is a surpa one also, super sweet.
http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii156/zcannaday/mirrorarm.jpg

http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii156/zcannaday/IMG00036.jpg

http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii156/zcannaday/IMG00039.jpg

cab13367
04-16-2008, 06:31 PM
Stacy

Yup, I got the adapter as the mirror that came with my moomba is the new style. Makes adjusting it a piece of cake.

So, did you order one?

Al

csmsk
04-16-2008, 07:08 PM
Aquaholic,

Where can I get one of those? How much did you pay for it? That's sweet!

Buttafewcoe
04-16-2008, 07:11 PM
That IS cool

Aquaholic
04-16-2008, 11:10 PM
They are at the dealership that I bought my boat at. I thought they said $175 with the mirror but don't hold me to it cause I could be mistaken.
Call the guys at alabamawatersports.com to see about price. But they look better in person, the pic does'nt do them true justice.

04OUTBACK
04-17-2008, 04:54 PM
I just spoke with Alabama Watersports and ordered just the bracket.
I have a different arm with the mirror that mounts on the rod with griptape inside and it will not stay in place. This will allow me to utilize the factory mirror.

Seem like real nice folks at Ala Watersports.

Aqua, thanks for the info.

moombadaze
04-17-2008, 05:25 PM
Al, just ordered it-it looks like the quick release will work good for me.
thanks for the recomendation

stacy

moombadaze
04-17-2008, 05:29 PM
Al, just studing your picture and have a question, is the release lever able to be moved to the lower hole?-i mean swapped with the alan screw. i think for when i fold the tower down it will give a litle more clearance and look better in the up position.

thanks
stacy

cab13367
04-17-2008, 07:21 PM
Al, just studing your picture and have a question, is the release lever able to be moved to the lower hole?-i mean swapped with the alan screw. i think for when i fold the tower down it will give a litle more clearance and look better in the up position.

thanks
stacy
Stacy,

You can rotate the lever 180 degrees and lock it down over the arm instead of the way I did it. It's just like the quick release on the seattube of a bike.

The quick release and the collar go with the arm so when you take it off, all you have left is the clamp and a square stud that protrudes about an inch, so no worries about clearance.

Hope that helps.

Al

cab13367
04-17-2008, 07:24 PM
I just spoke with Alabama Watersports and ordered just the bracket.
I have a different arm with the mirror that mounts on the rod with griptape inside and it will not stay in place. This will allow me to utilize the factory mirror.

Seem like real nice folks at Ala Watersports.

Aqua, thanks for the info.
Brad,

How much was the arm with the Moomba logo?

Al

04OUTBACK
04-17-2008, 10:12 PM
I just got the mirror mount.. It was $30. I had purchased the DIYWake model late last fall and can;t justify a new one just on the logo! BUT, as many have found, the mirror mount on that style is poo. The mount that Aqua shows on here is designed for factory mirror. I am jazzed about that as the mirror with my tower arm will not stay tight...it has grip tape inside to hold it but that does not last long..

I think Aqua said above he thinks about $175. I sent a message to AL watersports online from their site and got a reply within 2 hrs. Actually, I got a reply from the mfg of the arms as well. They are located in N. Alabama as well. A machine shop... They should be pitching that to Skiers Choice!

Aquaholic
04-17-2008, 11:40 PM
Hey guys your welcome! You will love the chrome on that adaptor. AWS said the arm is 185 plus shipping, I was a little off.....but it was a good guess! LOL.

I talked with the owner today of the machine shop and they in conjuntion with AWS are looking into making the arm detachable from the tower. I really like the arm now and feel that making removeable will only make it better.

tazz3069
04-18-2008, 08:11 AM
I think I will be giving them a call. I really like the mirror. I got mine at DIY wake last year. I think I am going to sell it and get the Moomba one. It really looks great.

WadsworthSunsport22V
04-18-2008, 09:49 AM
I have the Roswell Wakeair S.I. Team Mirror Arm and it is great, I do not fold my tower down, so I do not know how much of a pain it will be to remove and remount, but I am sure it is a pain.

btw, I purchased my Roswell Wakeair new at my Supra Dealer for 199 - including tax, so 250 for a non dealer item might be kind of high.

K_E_N
04-19-2008, 10:21 PM
Recieved my Monster mount a couple of days ago. Mounted it yesterday, and am quite pleased. I went with the Monster mount because of the detachable aspect and I also got a "hook-up" on it. Not allowed to post the price, but basically didn't have to pay shipping. Nice to have friends in the right places.

JBMoombaMan
04-29-2008, 04:16 PM
Thanks for the input guys. I just ordered the Moomba arm from Eddie at Alabama Watersports. I should have it ina few days. $190 including shipping.

Razzman
04-29-2008, 05:16 PM
Aquaholic, any timeframe on making that arm removeable? I have to do something on mine, i hate that mirror on the windshield!

Out of curiosity how come nobody uses the Moomba arm? Is it not a good design or something?

yearround
04-29-2008, 05:45 PM
i use the mirror that came with the tower. i think it is a great mirror, i have no issues with it, would certainly recommend it, i don't think it would detach very easy, but it goes in my garage just fine.

Razzman
04-29-2008, 06:07 PM
I'm not concerned so much about removing i guess. Anyone know how much the stock moomba arm is?

yearround
04-29-2008, 06:29 PM
it was 195 when we bought our boat.

Aquaholic
04-30-2008, 03:01 AM
Razz the removeble arms are in the "talk'n about stage" but I will ask again when I get the opportunity.

The arm is 190 shipped I think. Let me know if i can help. I would email [email protected] just to cover your bets.

Aqua