PDA

View Full Version : Insurance Question

Hydrofoiljunky
04-15-2008, 12:40 AM
I'm currently insurance shopping and one quote was with the fine folks whom I have my Car and Home insurance thru hoping by bundling I could save a little money. Anyways, she told me that my boat 08' Mobius LS, tops out at 54 mph. I wasn't going to argue with her but that seemed high. I thought our tow boats topped out about 45, 46? And where does she get her info from? Just by telling her the size of the engine??? After 50 Mph the deductible goes up. At any rate, I'm still breaking in my boat or I would just open her up and see what it topped out at. Can anyone tell me what top end speed I'm looking at? Thanks a bunch guys.

On a different Note, I received my boat this last Saturday and went on the Maiden Voyage Sunday. What a great time even just putting around varying the rpm's. I got about 4 hrs on it and got her up to just under 4000 rpms. Didn't want to push it over yet :-) What a difference from my old Sea ray Stearn drive......You guys that have broken in your boats already, when did you start pulling skiers, Wakeboarders etc? I know I can get up without even half the throttle on my hydrofoil I just didn't want to chance it. Do you have to wait for your 20 hr oil change to start pulling? Thanks guys. Glad to finally be part of the moomba crew, I will be posting my pictures soon in the pride and joy...

zabooda
04-15-2008, 02:23 AM
Tell your insurance lady in your dreams it goes above 50. The 1:1 ratio on the speed to RPM would be lucky to get 48mph at redline.

Buttafewcoe
04-15-2008, 04:17 AM
Here's a pic of the gauges a couple weeks ago during a WOT run.....a factory spec of 4800RPMs and 46MPH. Heck the speedos don't even show over 50.
http://inlinethumb46.webshots.com/40621/2500556290101167634S500x500Q85.jpg
B

04OUTBACK
04-15-2008, 08:17 AM
My ins agent reps Progressive as well. He quoted me and I checked Progressive.com .. big diff in .com! Plus, on there, you type in your max speed!

I can't speak for the Moomba deal that Ed refers too, but sounds good. Try that too.
Progressive has a shrinking deductible.. goes down 25% for each year you have no claims.

BW

Hydrofoiljunky
04-15-2008, 10:04 AM
Hey thanks a bunch guys, I knew that lady was smoking crack.......:-) Buttafewcoe, that picture is going to help a boat load.....No pun intended. Ed, thank you for your earlier post about the Skiers Choice owners getting a discount. I did get a quote from Boaters Insurance already and I don't know why but it was alot higher.

I can't believe the throttle response on these things. Just a little touch forward and she lights up. I have that perma grin on my face that you guys keep talking about.

Chad

NH Moomba
04-15-2008, 12:37 PM
I went through this with my insurance agent. They wanted $600 (5 years ago). When they hear 325HP they assume it is a go fast boat. I ended up joining the AWSA and they had an arrangement with Ski-Safe insurance (who only do ski boats). It was $291 with better coverage than my agency could offer. My boat isn't used for part of the year so they take that into account. AWSA has since changed from Ski-Safe to someone else but I have stayed with them.

Andy

zegm
04-15-2008, 02:23 PM
Hydrofoil,

I have 2 ski boats, a 2008 Mobius LS with the factory 13 x 11 prop and a MasterCraft with a 13 x 13 prop. Both are 1:1 direct drives and both are V-8s (the LS has a Indmar Chevy and the MC a 351 Ford). I have had the MasterCraft screaming at full throttle doing 48mph MAX! I only have 4 hours on the LS so I haven't opened it up yet but looking at the tach and speedo I would say I will be lucky to get much over 42/43mph in the LS. And in 22 years of inboard ski boats I have NEVER seen one go over 50mph! Ski boats are propped to PULL like tractors from low rpms, not propped for speed.
Where is this lady is coming from is beyond me? :roll:

gsi09907
04-15-2008, 06:18 PM
How much is anyone paying these days. I am with Ski Safe and only select 6 months of use and 6 months of lay up.... they are quoting me $405, pretty good I thought but just wondering? If you are in fact getting it cheaper then how? my progressive agent on my truck and the main office at 800-progressive along with Allstate, Farm Bureau and several others all wanted well over $550 the last time I checked.... I'm now 30, great credit, great driving history....etc

Just need a little advice Insurance companies piss me off

yearround
04-15-2008, 06:33 PM
we were talking about insurance at lunch today. my friend has a 67 chevelle that he has owned since 70 and has just restored it. he has gone the rounds with the insurance for that ride!

that has nothing to do with boat insurance, but i thought i would share it anyway. thanks

i have progressive, the annual premium for my LSV is 428/yr

my old searay was insured through foremost and it was $300/yr (it was only a $15k boat)

i did have my insurance agent review the progressive policy and he said it was a better policy than he could provide for his quoted rate through foremost of about 800 annual

i think i have a 500 deductible, there is also 1k for loss of toys, not that the amount is sufficient to cover the stuff, but it would help in the unfortunate event some thinks they should have my stuff.

Roachman
04-17-2008, 05:12 PM
BOAT US has the cheapest rates I could find.

bamaspiveys
04-17-2008, 06:10 PM
LoL
Got my renewal in the mail today from Progressive
437/year
2007 Outback