PDA

View Full Version : Wakesurfing convert!!!

Tyger
04-14-2008, 02:01 PM
I've been seeing wakesurfers for a few years now and frankly it didn't look that interesting; 8-10 people all huddled on the back of a barely crawling boat watching one guy fall a lot. However, with my new boat I wanted to give everything a try (including wakesurfing and wakeskating in addition to wakeboarding). Especially after reading about the experience of Liquid Force riders on the '08 boards, I wanted to give this sport a chance, but didn't want to shell out 400-450 without knowing if it would be popular with my regular riding crew.

E-bay to the rescue! I bought a new but factory repaired Hyperlite Broadcast for under $200. It came in last week and I had the chance to try it on Friday. We had some of the worst winds we have ever see on our lake and my in-laws were in town (who spent almost no time behind the boat), so I loaded up the right rear ballast, had the in-laws sit on the deck and pulled out my new wakesurfing rope.

It was awesome! I tried to get up the first time surfer style, but only got to one foot. Then I just used the same technique as wakeskating and popped up in a second. I rode and rode, falling a few times, but getting up and doing better every time. My wife was another quick convert and even my father-in-law got up and rode for quite a ways!

I told my wakeboarding buddy on Saturday how much fun it was and that he had to try it. He asked why it was so fun and I said "You just have to try it!". I couldn't describe what makes it so great, but sure enough come Sunday he was back there and we couldn't get him off the surf board. He must have went for 45 minutes before I finally kicked him off so I could have another session. The winds and chop were even worse than Friday, but that barely affected the surfer (those of us in the boat were wishing for a heater, though!).

Thanks to everyone on this board who have posted instructions, tips and links for getting up and having fun. We are all still holding the rope, but getting slack for longer and longer periods.

04OUTBACK
04-14-2008, 10:45 PM
You mentioned one of the bonuses of Wakesurfing... Windy days don't make much difference! My 2 trips out in my boat this year were far from butter, so after the bumpy wakeboard ride, we gave up, dumped one side of ballast and went surfing. virtually no effect from wind!

spyder
04-15-2008, 06:24 AM
You mentioned one of the bonuses of Wakesurfing... Windy days don't make much difference! My 2 trips out in my boat this year were far from butter, so after the bumpy wakeboard ride, we gave up, dumped one side of ballast and went surfing. virtually no effect from wind!

This is the biggest attraction from surfing for me. My Lake blows up all the time and gets to chop to ride, so this will allow us to stay out there!

can't wait to surf this summer.