PDA

View Full Version : Crazy boardshorts question...

ian ashton
04-12-2008, 02:10 PM
Alright, I guess I'm a total noob.

What do most people wear under their boardshorts? Is it a 'freeball' situation? To be completely honest I usually wear normal bathing suits with liners in them, but the latest pair of shorts that I got (from Jess for the b-day 8) ) are liner-less, and they are going to be a must-wear, as they match the boat!

I'm guessing that most people wear them with a wetsuit, but what if you're on the lake all day, its not like your going to want to wear the wetsuit all day, right? Are there like wetsuit 'boxers' or something? If not I'm patenting the idea and getting el-rich-o.

So, am I crazy?

gsi09907
04-12-2008, 03:11 PM
totally free bird... underwear will make your butt itch like crazy and wet suit comes on and off as you ride so wear it over your new board shorts

yearround
04-12-2008, 06:21 PM
i wear em like they sell em! prefer boardies without elastic waist, and free, don't care for the mesh inside

helix_rider
04-12-2008, 06:24 PM
Freeballin' is a recipe for disaster...I gave the boys a serious slapdown years ago before I learned the ropes. Buy yourself some 'compression' shorts for comfort, protection, and to avoid the embarrassment of the one-eyed winker.

I just went to Kohl's to get mine, something like these:
http://www.sportsauthority.com/sm-under-armour-heat-gear-compression-short-mens--pi-525455.html

Buttafewcoe
04-12-2008, 07:21 PM
Either that, or wear a cup.
The vision of my jewels bouncing around like ping-pong balls hurts just thinking about it.
But then again, the python does need a little room to stretch.
:P
B

aerophoto
04-12-2008, 10:12 PM
i wear em like they sell em! prefer boardies without elastic waist, and free, don't care for the mesh inside

I cut the mesh out to avoid lake itch

danimal365
04-13-2008, 01:42 PM
I like mine without elastic as well. easier to lose them with it.

bobwells
04-13-2008, 02:39 PM
where some skivvies with'em or put a pair of slider shorts on under them(baseball) or ust let "jim-bob & billy" go for broke and pray for no serious "cod-slappers"... :lol: o?o

04OUTBACK
04-13-2008, 05:30 PM
ditto the compression shorts.. ditto on the quick dry materials like under armor!

B

spyder
04-13-2008, 07:03 PM
i usually wear boxer briefs under mine, but the under amour compression shorts look comfy and will keep your gear in check in the event of a crash landing.

Hughes144
04-13-2008, 07:20 PM
I don't wear anything under it.... normally because of ummmmieee....

fast access for wo...

wait... I just like it being free... :lol:

But seriously... I don't wear anything under it and it doesn't bother me at all... when riding with wetsuit, I put on 2nd pair of boardshort over for stylish (i know i know.. just don't want to show off my line of wetsuit stuffing up in between my cheeks :oops: ) so that way I don't have to hide myself to take the short off then wetsuit off then put the boardshort back on.

JoeTechie
04-13-2008, 11:59 PM
Duo Dry trunks by Champion or C9. Very light, color match with suit, dry super fast so no irritation. When I wear a wetsuit - I take off the board shorts and leave the trunks - who the hell wears all that bunchy stuff under a wetsuit ?

-J

ajmoritz17
04-14-2008, 09:35 AM
Nike makes a great pair of what i guess is called compression shorts- i just got back from a indoor water park and i wore them under my board shorts and it worked great- i always "freeballed" when wake boarding but now its the 'nike pros' everytime- as for board shorts i refuse to wear anything besides alpinestars because of the way there designed (they have very little velcro)
________
TM400 (http://www.cyclechaos.com/wiki/Suzuki_TM400)

aintskeered
04-14-2008, 11:42 AM
went with the spandex swimm suit under the board shorts......Fat guy in a little suit. They dry quick and keep the boys close.

AaronWhitt82
04-14-2008, 04:56 PM
I'm glad you guys brought this topic up because I was wondering what everyone was sporting underneath their boardshorts for some protection.
I don't think I'd want to do the whole freeballing thing just in case something were to happen......
I think I'm going to pick myself up a pair of the Under Armour compression shorts as well...

ian ashton
04-14-2008, 05:10 PM
I'm glad you guys brought this topic up because I was wondering what everyone was sporting underneath their boardshorts for some protection.
I don't think I'd want to do the whole freeballing thing just in case something were to happen......
I think I'm going to pick myself up a pair of the Under Armour compression shorts as well...

When I originally posted this I thought I was going to be the laughing stock of the board for asking such a silly question :lol:

I think I'm also going to pick up a few pairs of the UA compression shorts, seems to be a good idea.

Natz08
04-17-2008, 01:35 AM
I recently had surgury because I was trying to do a 180 on my wakeskate and landed on the beans ever since then I purchased those wetsuit shorts they sell now and that works great !!! but I also rock the stretchy shorts everybody is talking about when it is to warm for the wet suit....Dont miss the board when landing a 180 lol :shock:

helix_rider
04-17-2008, 11:16 AM
Really? Surgery on the beans? Sorry man, but after Murray blew his knee on the skate I quit riding it...had thoughts about trying it again this year but your story has scared me off for another year :shock:

spyder
04-17-2008, 11:17 AM
I recently had surgury because I was trying to do a 180 on my wakeskate and landed on the beans ever since then I purchased those wetsuit shorts they sell now and that works great !!! but I also rock the stretchy shorts everybody is talking about when it is to warm for the wet suit....Dont miss the board when landing a 180 lol :shock:

outtie became an innie.

JesseC
04-17-2008, 01:22 PM
We only use the wakeskate to learn new inverts. Helps with making the crashes easier to handle until we learn the trick good enough to try it on a wakeboard.

AaronWhitt82
04-17-2008, 02:08 PM
Anyone thats looking for compression shorts at a good price here ya go..........

Just picked myself up a pair!!!

They have numerous sizes and colors; just check out the seller's store.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Under-Armour-Compression-Shorts-BLK-MD-Free-Shipping_W0QQitemZ170151080203QQihZ007QQcategoryZ1 5689QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1742.m153.l1262

Smrtz
04-17-2008, 02:12 PM
Jesse,
that is an awesome idea I cant believe I'd never heard of doing taht before.. im definately gonna try that this season.. Ill let you know how it works out

Smrtz
04-17-2008, 03:00 PM
Hey Jesse,
So Spyd4r and I have been talking about trying that with the wakeskate.. His concern is if you have to worry about the wakeskate whacking you in the face or landing on it. I figured since you are holding a rope, by the time you land the skate would be well behind you.
Since you have the experience with this could you settle this for us

Cheers
Jay

JesseC
04-17-2008, 10:02 PM
Hey Jesse,
So Spyd4r and I have been talking about trying that with the wakeskate.. His concern is if you have to worry about the wakeskate whacking you in the face or landing on it. I figured since you are holding a rope, by the time you land the skate would be well behind you.
Since you have the experience with this could you settle this for us

Cheers
Jay

Click on the vids in this post. We ONLY do inverts on the wakeskate. Most of the time it stays right with the first wake and shoots straight up, sometimes it DOES follow the rider, but if you don't let go of the rope the wakeskate does drift out behind the rider. I usually have to swim about 10 to 15 feet to retrieve it, it is almost always nowhere near me. We have yet to get hit by it practicing inverts. The only time I have been hit by the wakeskate is when I try wakeskating moves where the board stays with me. Practicing inverts, it is usually a long way away, still we ride with helmets just in case.

Here is my first attemp at a frontroll, notice where the board goes.

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q21/StarkRaven/th_frontroll_wakeskatecrash1.jpg (http://s132.photobucket.com/albums/q21/StarkRaven/?action=view&current=frontroll_wakeskatecrash1.flv)

After trying about 5 of these, I was at this point. The board followed me on this one, but it was about 15 feet behind me because I did not let go of the rope.

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q21/StarkRaven/th_frontroll_wakeskatecrash2.jpg (http://s132.photobucket.com/albums/q21/StarkRaven/?action=view&current=frontroll_wakeskatecrash2.flv)

ian ashton
04-17-2008, 10:08 PM
Thats an awesome way to practice, and cool vids too.

JesseC
04-17-2008, 10:12 PM
And it is a lot less painful too!

spyder
04-17-2008, 10:35 PM
cool! you almost had that last one... if you had a board on your feet ;P

Smrtz
04-18-2008, 09:55 AM
Thanks Jesse. thats wicked!!

Hughes144
04-19-2008, 07:46 PM
Well... Some people may have a better luck with trying new inverts by practicing on wakeskate first....

NOT ME!

I have seen a buddy of mine that something has gone wrong.... He was trying HSBR and end up landing exactly right on the board again.... And lucky, nothing was broken but he end up having a swell ankle plus it did slammed on his balls. Not a pretty sight....

Then I saw a buddy of mine that rides on wakeskates, not wakeboarding or anything... he fell down, his face hitted right on the edge of the wakeskate board and splitted the corner of mouth about 2 to 3 inches (yes, the whole thing, not just cut or anything... SPLITTED open. Now his mouth are abnormal and talk differently.)

So that was enough for me, I am NOT touching the wakeskating... not even for practicing the inverts or anything... It's either I suck the the faceplants or anything as long the board stays on my feet and will only come off is because it was with me and I went underneath the water, enough to push the bindings off my feet. At least, I would know that my board will already be floating in the water when I come up from underneath. Not wondering where the board will be when I come up.

That's just me.... I guess.

SEARK
05-13-2008, 04:36 PM
That just ain't right.

Waynes345
05-13-2008, 08:03 PM
Highly entertaining thread. I always looked in those board shorts and wondered what the heck the deal was as I need a little security. I'm glad somebody else asked.

jmvotto
05-13-2008, 11:04 PM
Lmao............

kaneboats
05-20-2008, 09:53 PM
I think that remark was tongue in cheek . . . or something like that.

bamaspiveys
05-20-2008, 10:40 PM
Click on the vids in this post. We ONLY do inverts on the wakeskate. Most of the time it stays right with the first wake and shoots straight up, sometimes it DOES follow the rider, but if you don't let go of the rope the wakeskate does drift out behind the rider. I usually have to swim about 10 to 15 feet to retrieve it, it is almost always nowhere near me. We have yet to get hit by it practicing inverts. The only time I have been hit by the wakeskate is when I try wakeskating moves where the board stays with me. Practicing inverts, it is usually a long way away, still we ride with helmets just in case.

JesseC what lake is that on? I think I recognize the smoke stacks in the background?

JesseC
05-20-2008, 11:30 PM
JesseC what lake is that on? I think I recognize the smoke stacks in the background?

It is on Lay Lake in Shelby, Alabama about an hour south of Birmingham. That is the steam plant in Columbiana about 20 minutes North of the lakehouse.

bamaspiveys
05-21-2008, 11:39 PM
ian, you do come up with some interesting questions, I'll give you that. LOL

Since I do a lot of barfooting I wear a cup, and two pairs of compression/lycra shorts.

Can't get the board shorts in the barefoot suit so I strip them off and put on padded shorts for footing runs.

Haven't needed it yet but it will be there when I do!

Limishowman3
05-30-2008, 12:57 AM
Always wore boardshorts with no lining and compression shorts underneath, cuz i have a tendency to loose my shorts lol. I like them loose, feels easier to ride, and I play bball too. But this last session I finally said the hell with compression shorts, as sometimes they ride up when starting off. Well I basically improved 100% out there. Finally landed wake to wake, and got some pop on it too. Shorts stayed on and compression shorts stayed in the drawer. As for protection. I still slap tap the nuts on the wake with both ways of riding, and both times it hurts. Im thinking water is already cold, so theyll be nestled tight to the body to stay warm, and the pain is still the same, so freeballing is the present and future for me. Plus its easier to moon friends passing by on other boats, while shredding lol.