PDA

View Full Version : Surgery on the new LSV

newty
04-04-2008, 05:51 PM
OK so I'm debating cutting out a portion of the drivers footwell to add a correctly built sub box. Has anyone done this or have any feedback regaurding this procedure? Is there a structural purpose to this or is it just a foot rest. I've looked inside the ski locker and can see inside the compartment. It isn't attatched to the floor (hull or stringer assembly) or the the inner wall.
For me ts a major mod to the floor and I'm curious if anyone else has attempted it. :?

zegm
04-04-2008, 09:00 PM
I am thinking it would kill your warranty!

aerophoto
04-05-2008, 01:03 AM
I am thinking it would kill your warranty!

Yep I bet it would

Buttafewcoe
04-05-2008, 04:27 AM
That is a bulkhead. I don't think I'd do anything to weaking it
B

Sled491
04-05-2008, 10:58 PM
There was a post last fall where a guy cut his sub into the floor under the drivers consoul :shock:

If the piece is screwed in with angle brackets I would go ahead.

As I side note I researched subs and found that Kenwood makes a very shallow sub @ 3 3/8" deep, and requires a .6 cf box for proper function. My point being that maybe there might be a sub out there that would fit into a box that doesn't require such a big commitment on your part 8)

clowninmd
04-06-2008, 08:57 PM
kicker solo baric in a truck box is what I have and it fits great and sounds awesome.

ATLOUTBACKV
04-07-2008, 04:09 PM
i put a 15'' sub there and cut it out... everything is fine...

cab13367
04-07-2008, 06:19 PM
i put a 15'' sub there and cut it out... everything is fine...
Could you post some pics please?

Thanks,

Al

Jon J
04-07-2008, 07:22 PM
I have a 12" sub in a pretty big box. I place it behind the passenger seat where my amp and batteries are. The bass sounds great and the enclosed area under there makes for a 'tight' sounding thump. Like a boxed sub in a car trunk....which reminds me of being 18 again with a $2000 stereo in a $5000 car.

I like this set-up because the sub stays dry and protected plus it is removable. It is heavy enough that it doesn't shift around. And there is still plenty of room for stuff. The passenger seat will give you a nice massage with the right song on too!

I considered the sub under the driver's side but my heater core and fan is there. I also didn't want to lose any leg room. However, I have seen some pictures of subs installed there and they look awesome.

newty
04-08-2008, 12:24 AM
Spoke to my moomba dealer/service dept. He said no problem. I'm not actually cutting the thing out , I am just cutting a square out of the front portion of the box. I've already done it and am underway on the project. Everything will be re-glassed and most likely stronger than its original counterpart. I will keep you all posted with pics as soon as I'm done. Little messy but not as bad as I thought. I had to have a couple beers before I could talk myself into it. Glad I did it. Its going to turn out nice.

newty
04-08-2008, 09:57 PM
Updated pics.
http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/3183/564993.html?1207700161

Sled491
04-08-2008, 10:01 PM
Very clean

TL7
04-08-2008, 10:14 PM
Nice project...looks good so far. I'm anxious to see the completed job.

I had a old non-powered Bazooka tube that I put in front of that hump (on the bow side). Bolted the straps to the floor and secured it right there. Powered it with an amp that I mounted on the battery side. I put the tube in there as a temporary until I could tackle a project like you're doing, but the sound was so impressive that I decided it was plenty for me. It's nice because it's close enough to the hump that even with the front cushion off it cannot be seen. Also, being tucked away under there seems to resonate the bass.

Here are a few pics of where I put the amp. I took off the cushion, then used the bolts for the cushion to mount the amp on the inside of the gunwale. Hopefully the pics explain what I did.

Amp is behind this cushion...
http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb320/taftleissner/2007%20Outback/P1020965.jpg

http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb320/taftleissner/2007%20Outback/P1020970.jpg

http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb320/taftleissner/2007%20Outback/P1020966.jpg

newty
04-10-2008, 03:23 AM
TL7 I'll get more pics posted as soon as I get it buttoned up. I've got 3 projects going on the boat right now, and I'm trying to make as few trips to the dealer as I have to. Tomorrow I'll pick up some parts I ordered and get some carpet to finish up the floor mod. I don't want a permanent box down there for access reasons but I do want it to look finished if there is no box in there. That make sense? If I sell it I can build a little enclosure to slip in there to house a sealed low qube sub. Should look good.
My heater is mounted to the front of that bulkhead so I can't put any thing in that space.
I like to see amps hidden like that. Nice work.