PDA

View Full Version : DIY shower install

newty
04-03-2008, 12:22 AM
Thought a few of you might like to see this! 8)

http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/3183/564394.html?1207196182

ian ashton
04-03-2008, 07:22 AM
Very cool; definately one of the things I want to add to my Outback when it arrives.

hiqualityH2O
04-03-2008, 11:05 AM
Newty - nice install. I'm thinkin this would be kind of a handy option to have. Thanks for posting the pics!

zabooda
04-03-2008, 11:29 AM
One thing I never use is my shower. Probably because I only go out when the water has warmed up. The only reason I keep it on the boat is to maintain the cooling system integrity as I would either have to plug the "T" on the hose or replace the hose. I still have to winterize it in the fall which is the most time consuming of all of the areas that need to be drained.

Buttafewcoe
04-03-2008, 11:38 AM
But still.....newt's mock up is great. It almost rivals JesseC's stuff!!
B

zabooda
04-03-2008, 01:05 PM
No doubt the design looks good with a few exceptions. I may be mistaken but the valves appear to be ball valves and for the hot/cold mix you want to be able to vary the mix in small increments and a gate valve would generally get you better results. The "T" arraignment off the engine is a good use of the ball valve and only one hose for the hot water is needed so I assume the other valve was for some other purpose. The block needs to be drained in the winter so the hose will need to come off. The other ball valve may be for draining but I run low pressure (<60psi through the shower system to drain the lines and pump so the hose needs to be physically removed as compressed air through the other valve would blow back into the engine and not drain the line. The first picture of the pump is deceiving and the install should have the hose connections on the top side and the motor below. The manifold shows the ball valves for mixing. You would have better and more consistent results with a gate valve (even though gate valves are more prone to failure).

Buttafewcoe
04-03-2008, 05:57 PM
Everyone's a critic!
:P
B

cab13367
04-03-2008, 07:18 PM
I think we need to have separate DIY section to encourage posts such as these (and Jesse's tower speaker install).

What do you guys think??

Sled491
04-03-2008, 09:49 PM
Cab sounds good. I was looking for something like that for stereo installations.

Anyway Newty, very cool. Butta has it right, between you and Jesse you could create your own DIY manual for extras.

On another note, it seems Zabooda might have a couple of valid points, unless I'm missin something obvious :?

newty
04-03-2008, 10:19 PM
zabooda, I took into account all that you have said before I started the project. The T off the bottom (hot water feed): one side goes to the manifold the other stops after the valve w/ a plug for draining/winterization purposes. All the hoses are pressure slip fittings. So the hoses slide right out when you press on the orange rings. After thinking about it I could have left the T out and just slipped the hose out to drain the shower and block.
I'm aware of the throtteling issues with the ball valves but the gate valves are larger in body size and spendy. Hopefiully I can set it once and leave it alone.
As far as the pump location and orientation the pum says it can be mounted in any direction. I wanted to have the valves easily accable and as far off the floor to avoid sacks especially if I go with the 750's. That ment I had to locat the pump down low. I have a cool garden sprayer and I'm going to use one of those curly hoses so I don't have to worr about it getting kinked and pushed around. I'll get some pics up when I complete it.
Jeeze Zabooda I thought I was anal!
Thanks for the feedback everyone.

JesseC
04-03-2008, 10:31 PM
Thanks for the props guys I really appreciate it. Those are some impressive DIY instructions! Here in AL I guess we could use the shower to wash all of those cherry pits and cheeto stains out of the carpet.

zabooda
04-03-2008, 10:31 PM
It all good you guys. I appreciate the feedback too. Good or bad. The system is well designed and the valves will work just like a shut off on the end of the hose. There is a fair amount of control and once it is set there shouldn't be any more changes as you said.

newty
04-04-2008, 12:39 AM
Kinda nice to wash all the goose shiz off the dock.

mvd
05-01-2008, 08:53 AM
I put some pictures of the shower installation on my updated wakesiderides page.

http://www.wakesiderides.com/rides/index.php?page=out&id=2497

http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm304/mvd1968/CIMG4632.jpg

http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm304/mvd1968/CIMG4633.jpg