PDA

View Full Version : Check Engine message.

gmarkham1
03-31-2008, 11:22 AM
Ok so I got my boat out of storage this weekend. I have been busy gettin everything back in batteries, fatsacs, cushions, etc.

Also the plugs and knock sensors. Well after getting everything hooked up I wanted to run it just to make sure everything was good. It more or less started right up considering it had sat for 4 months. It was a bit rough, but I kind of expected it to be. WEll after about 1 minute I was getting a 'CHECK ENGINE' message. So I shut it down. Checked everything out, found a few spark plug wires that werent quite seated all the way down. Started back up, running smoother, but the check engine message was still coming up.

The engine is a 2007 indmar assault 340(07 supra 21v). All the readings seem normal... temp, pressure etc.
Anyone know if the ECM will clear itself or if a dealer needs to do it? Can I get the message from the ECM without takin it to the dealer?

WE have a big trip planned for the weekend, and the dealer is closed tomorrow so I already lose one day on service. Lauderdale is normally terrific about getting me in and out, but I suspect that they are pretty busy getting boats ready!

04OUTBACK
03-31-2008, 12:50 PM
It is my understanding that if you cycle the motor 3 times w/o a failure, it will reset.
Crank, run to operating temp. shut down and let cool completely.
Do this 3 times and you should get there.
This is what I have been told is the manner reset without the ECM...

Try 1st before taking to dealer..

gmarkham1
04-01-2008, 03:06 PM
Got it out to Lauderdale today and they took a look at it immediately. It is just a 'pedal position' error and should be able to have her back by tomorrow!

aintskeered
04-01-2008, 05:09 PM
Glad to hear your going to be up and running quick.... What did they say about the engine code? I think I heard it will clear after 20 key ups if it is just an error that goes away. But if its something that continues if wont clear. Check all fluids and watch temps real close but okay to run it back to dock if your out a ways??

gmarkham1
04-02-2008, 07:19 AM
They said it was a 'pedal position sensor' failure. They tried replacing the sensor and the code was still there, so then they cleared it and it is not coming back up. I hope that is my only hiccup for the year.

Yes apparently if it is something serious, the engine will go into 'limp' mode, and let you limp back to the dock.

ALthough, driving back home from the dealer, the tower leg release bolts vibrated all the way out on one side and the leg dropped onto the boat, put a pretty nice gouge in the gel/fiberglass.

I guess this is my own fault though as I hadn't checked them out yet. Hadn't been on the water yet so hadnt event though about it.

hiqualityH2O
04-03-2008, 06:25 PM
G- I'm sorry to hear that. I lost 1/2 of a quick release knob in the water - it was a good lesson and I've since always checked them at the ramp but now I'll be checking before l leave the driveway. By the way AWS has replacements.

MasterMind3002
04-03-2008, 09:41 PM
My 2007 also had a bad pedal position sensor. I noticed one day that I was having to work hard to hold speeds. Any correction I made was either totally ignored or over done.

It turned out to be my only issue with that particular boat.

Good luck!

Sled491
04-03-2008, 10:07 PM
GM, are you talking about Laurderdale Lakes Marine in WI?

gmarkham1
04-04-2008, 09:27 AM
Yeah... Lauderdale In Elkhorn Wisconsin.

Their service dept is top notch! Marty and guys always get me in and out!

hiqualityH2O
04-04-2008, 10:46 AM
Sorry G - I was thinkin you were in the Portland Or area that's why I directed you to AWS. You'd be going about 4000 miles out of your way to pick up a knob there - probably not worth the drive!

Sled491
04-04-2008, 02:18 PM
GM, I'm out of East Troy, with my lake house on Lower Nembabin. We bought from Lauderdale lakes as well, and so did Deerfield.