PDA

View Full Version : key left on...= hours...

bobwells
03-29-2008, 10:41 AM
:( left key on... logged an extra 45 or so hours... had heard this could happen, now I know for sure it does ! :roll:

GeauxTigers
03-29-2008, 11:19 AM
Ouch!
That probably even hurts re-sale value. I wonder if the dealership can go into the engine PCM to verify this is incorrect.

cab13367
03-29-2008, 12:56 PM
Seriously? I thought the hour meter only counted when the engine is running.

Engine Nut
03-29-2008, 07:29 PM
:( left key on... logged an extra 45 or so hours... had heard this could happen, now I know for sure it does ! :roll:

Not sure what year your boat is and what engine you have but if the engine is carbureted or if i ts EFI and has analog gauges instead of an additional computer inder the dash to drive the gauges the hour meter is simply a clock timer that runs whenever it has power... key on. Boats with the computer under the dash and EFI engines get their engine hour information from the ECM (computer) on the engine. The ECM only logs time when the engine is actually running.

bobwells
03-29-2008, 09:12 PM
mine is a '98 mobius, carb. oh well still running strong !

maxpower220
03-29-2008, 10:18 PM
I had a buddy leave his key on until the battery on the boat went dead. Probably a couple of weeks. Needless to say, he was not happy with himself.

zegm
03-30-2008, 12:50 AM
Well this is only bad if you plan on selling it in the future, then it is only bad if it is a large percentage of the actual hours. But make a note of it and when you sell it explain it! You could even have them read these posts! You know we have that very old but elegant 1975 MasterCraft Stars and Stripes, I tore that hour meter out of it so many years ago! Of course I did it because it quit working but after so many years I am not worried about the hours on the engine as this is to be used as a aid for maintenance. Anyone can damage or overheat an engine anytime and shorten the life of the engine at any time, including low hours. Thats when a compression tester comes in handy! And yes the old 351 Ford still puts up some good numbers.
Going out tomorrow in the Spanking brand new LS (4 hours on the meter :lol: )!!!! Hope to have the camera battery issues resolved!!!! Have my son try out a new ski and maybe hang my feet over the side to get used to the cool water!

zabooda
03-30-2008, 01:14 AM
45 hours is what I put on my boat in a whole year. I have a 98 and if you can get by without the tach you can probably disconnect the unit. The old mechanical meters could be reversed. I need the tach as my speedos mess up a lot. With the boat being a decade old, the depreciation due to the hours will be negligible especially if you plan to keep it for a while. You probably added less than 10% of the total hours which is rather minimal compared to other issues that would depreciate the boat faster such as scratches, fabric torn, dinged prop, rust on the trailer, faded decals (I know you have new ones). Don't worry about it. Keep a copy of this string so if you sell it you can show where 45 hours came from..sitting on the trailer during the off season.

bobwells
03-30-2008, 07:46 AM
yea it really is no biggy... I put a cpl. hundred a year on it. I'm sure I'll be hanging on to it for a while, or at least a "deal I cant refuse" comes along on a V-drive. Weather is totally awesome here, spring has sprung ! Flowers & dogwoods in full bloom, absolutley gorgeous! was out yesterday and will be out again today after church, logging more hours!
Have a Super-Sunday and may God Bless yall's socks off ! thanks for everyones input , bob :D

GeauxTigers
03-30-2008, 12:39 PM
Ahhh.... Dogwoods in bloom! My house in Atlanta had a beautiful Yoshino Cherry that I planted from a sapling (6' tall) and it turn into a beautiful 25 ft tree with gorgeous blooms in the Spring....

Wow, that made me miss Atlanta for.... a split second!

cab13367
03-31-2008, 12:28 AM

Not sure what year your boat is and what engine you have but if the engine is carbureted or if i ts EFI and has analog gauges instead of an additional computer inder the dash to drive the gauges the hour meter is simply a clock timer that runs whenever it has power... key on. Boats with the computer under the dash and EFI engines get their engine hour information from the ECM (computer) on the engine. The ECM only logs time when the engine is actually running.
Larry,

Thanks for the clarification.

Al