PDA

View Full Version : boat security

chillyx
03-26-2008, 10:57 PM
I have some questions reguarding boat security. I keep my boat on the trailer at the marina. Does anyone have any recommendations on how to keep the boat safe? Any suggestions are welcome.

Thanks

zegm
03-26-2008, 11:15 PM
Well I would hope that this was a fenced in storage area? I have always kept my 2 boats in the front of my house and never worried about someone pulling them off. Now the Shiny Gorgeous new LS is sitting out there and I couldn't help but wrap a chain around the trailer (covered the trailer with a towel of course) and then wrapped chain around a huge tree and locked it together!!! I would never leave anything in the boat at the Marina like skis or wakeboards!

BENTLEYBOY
03-26-2008, 11:27 PM
Also would get a key locking device to fit in and over the hitch receiver.

Tyger
03-27-2008, 10:40 AM
I think what Bentley meant was a coupler lock like this one:

http://www.overtons.com/assets/images/products/large/74268_L1.jpg

I found it here: http://www.hitches-forless.com/hitch_accessories/receiver_locks.html for 28 bucks, but do your own research and find the best one for your use. Xena even makes one that has an alarm, if you are very security concious. The alarm is triggered by both attempts to open the lock as well as just movement or shock, so it should keep people off the boat, period. I used one of these on my Ducati to keep people from sitting on it while I was away.

I keep my cover on the boat whenever it's not somewhere safe to discourage any casual inspection/theft, but it's not going to stop someone who is determined.

Obviously take your stereo faceplate with you and anything else, other than maybe your orange type II PFDs. Also, I would strongly recommend against locking anything in the glovebox, etc. These locks are very flimsy and will just cause someone to bypass them, damaging your boat.

04OUTBACK
03-27-2008, 10:47 AM
A guy I ride with some... puts long shank locks in the swing away tongue where the pin goes.. with the swing away open.. so that you can't tow it...

I keep mine in a locked/fenced storage with electric gate out front.. I think I am going to add the lock to the swing away..

Smrtz
03-27-2008, 11:05 AM
I have a big thick chain and lock that goes through the wheel and around the trailor, as well I have one of the locks that goes into the ball receiver as shown above.... and full replacement value with my insurance policy!

If someone wants it that bad that they can somehoe get around the chain and ball lock... go ahead...

JesseC
03-27-2008, 11:36 AM
Here is the coupler lock that I use from Bart's

http://www.bartswatersports.com/catalog.asp?P=4034
Item Number: BT3358
BART'S: $37.98

http://www.bartswatersports.com/images/Product/largeimage4034.jpg

Miller_Time
03-27-2008, 11:44 AM
I've got a lock put through the swing away tongue loops, cant pull the trailer if you can't lock the tongue in place. Granted if they really want it they're going to get it. But I do what I can to discourage them.

jdsharpe57
03-27-2008, 05:24 PM
If none of these other methods work, just insure the boat for alittle more than it's worth and then worst case you get a BRAND NEW boat again..... YAY!!!!!!!!! 8)

scoot_gt
03-27-2008, 07:19 PM
Maybe stupid question - but what's the difference between one of these fancy coupler locks and just putting a lock thru the cotter pin slot (with the coupler closed)?

As for security, mine sits out in the open on the lift - not much I can do about it. Lake won't allow walled in boathouses. So I do as jd suggested and just insure so I can get a new one!

Smrtz
03-27-2008, 07:43 PM
Mine doesnt have the cotter pin hole on the top....

scoot_gt
03-28-2008, 12:56 AM
I don't have pics avail but my 06 trailer has a cotter at the bottom driver's side of the receiver mechanism to lock the receiver (up or down)

I always just lock it down with a MasterLock - even when attached to the truck.

Digger
03-30-2008, 12:41 PM
As above, Masterlock is a decent option. They make a combo kit for about $50.00 that has a pin lock, a receiver lock and a tongue lock. That is the set that I use. Like some one else has already stated, if they really want it they will get it. I think the thing is to make it look as difficult as possible. Have proper coverage, and make sure that if you are pulling your boat that you protect your truck as well. I have heard about a few a cases where the truck was stolen from out in front of hotels or gas stations. At the end of the day locks only keep honest people out.

zabooda
03-30-2008, 03:06 PM
For those who needs security where the boat is near their home, campground or motel, I would recommend the Graco digital baby monitors. I use them when hauling show dogs and we stay in motels and the dogs in the van. There is no static noise, you can hear voices near the vehicle and very little power drain with rechargable batteries. We use them when we stop by the restaurants as they are dead quiet unless there is sounds it is picking up and then you have a series of leds glowing in your face also. They operate up to 2,000 feet which is almost a 1/2 mile. They are about $60. You can get another model with more than one monitor so you can have the spouse carry one also.

http://www.gracobaby.com/catalog/product.aspx?modelNumber=2791DIG1&productID=769&tab=features&CategoryID=13&subCatID=

Buttafewcoe
03-30-2008, 05:23 PM
Smith and Wesson works real well, also
B

tazz3069
03-30-2008, 08:22 PM
My S&W has 12 brothers and they are all mean.