PDA

View Full Version : Anchor Storage

ajmoritz17
03-25-2008, 01:32 PM
Just Curious if anyone could give me advice on anchor storage for an lsv....underneath the seat up front in the middle seems to be the spot but its carpeted..worried about moisture and keeping everything clean...pictures would be great if anyone has some!
________
marijuana indica (http://strainindex.com)

AaronWhitt82
03-25-2008, 01:39 PM
I took everything out of my boat for Winter storage EXCEPT the anchor and I left it in one of the storage compartments that is carpeted.... I have one of those bigger ones that is made of galavanized steel I believe. I'm hoping it didn't rust at all, but I guess I'll find out in a few weeks.
As for storage I'd just wrap it in an old towel or something similar in case she does rust.

Aaron

lanceswake
03-25-2008, 01:58 PM
aj

I keep mine up front as well. Water is not going to hurt anything. These things were made to get wet. When I pull the anchor up I'll wash off any dirt or mud that may be stuck to it, but that's it. Ed G is right about the wakesurfing. I've had my boat soaking wet on the inside before...especially if I get caught out in rain. The carpet is marine grade and there's no wood used in building these boats. The key is to let it dry out properly afterwards. When I put my boat up I open all storage compartments and lift up all seat cushions so it can air dry really good. If it's really soaked I'll get out the wet/dry vac and it does miracles. You take that boat out and let it get wet and have fun with it cuz that's what they're made for. IMO

ajmoritz17
03-25-2008, 02:40 PM
that was pretty much exactly what i wanted to hear thanks
________
GL1200SEI (http://www.cyclechaos.com/wiki/Honda_GL1200SEI)

cab13367
03-25-2008, 03:14 PM
I keep my anchor up front.

a quick turn around to pick up a downed wakesurfer brings in a two foot high wall of water over the bow, so what's a little water from an anchor?
I've never had any water come over the bow of my LSV (but then again, I've only had it one season so give me time :lol: ).

AJ,

When I put my boat away (in the garage) after a day on the water, I take everything that is wet out of the boat and hang it up, including the anchor and anchor line if it was used that day, which I keep in the bow under the starboard seat cushion. I also open up all the compartments so that the carpet can air dry. I am anal about this, I know, but I don't like water to sit anywhere on my boat when it's not in use.

Al

deerfield
03-25-2008, 06:03 PM
I am anal about this

I understand, Al. I run a fan and crack the motor box open. Dry is better. - Deerfield

Buttafewcoe
03-25-2008, 06:47 PM
It's just an anchor and rode, it'll dry. If yer lake is that nasty, I'd find another lake.
B

jmvotto
03-25-2008, 07:56 PM
The anchor should not rust, but if that is a concern barts and overtons has coated anchors with colors as wells. :D

zabooda
03-25-2008, 08:04 PM
I've got a few rust marks inside the front locker of my 98 but that's the way it is. I keep my boats for a long time and I'm happy just to keep the visible parts of my boat looking good.

Sled491
03-25-2008, 09:02 PM
I use a Richter anchor and it won't fit in the front compartment so we put ours under the glove box in the big storage area, never a problem. Like everyone says ventilate, ventilate, ventilate.

ajmoritz17
03-26-2008, 11:09 AM
sled-
I think im gonna buy the richter as well i like the idea of keeping it it under dash in a bucket or something...what should i buy for the line and chain how many feet of each? First time boat owner what can i say haha
________
BMW R25 (http://www.cyclechaos.com/wiki/BMW_R25)

Sled491
03-26-2008, 07:59 PM
Yeah you can't go wrong with a Richter.

I use 3ft of chain and a 50 ft long 1/2 inch diameter line, with a couple stianless steel clevises. But our lakes are not that deep around here. You may need 100 ft where you are. :D

Miller_Time
03-26-2008, 10:48 PM
Anybody have any experience with the box anchor? I keep getting told its the best anchor available but it sure isnt cheap. I'd like to hear from somone who has one before i shell out that money for one.

Sled491
03-26-2008, 11:03 PM
What's a box anchor? A Richter anchor runs about 60 -70 bucks and is the best I've every had, in fact I'm on my second one I believe in them that much

Miller_Time
03-27-2008, 12:49 AM
http://www.slideanchor.com/box.asp

Apparently alot of guys on wakeworld all swear by them. I'm thinking about giving it a try because the anchor we're using now just drags all over the lake in the slightest wind. They say this thing really sets in anything and holds, but never gets stuck either. Seems too good to be true. But it'd be great if it really is as good as they say it is.

yearround
03-27-2008, 09:59 AM
Sled,
what Richter do you suggest for LSV, medium or large? the medium says for boats up to 20' large to 30', lsv is 21'6" i would think the medium would be fine.

qb12
03-27-2008, 10:02 AM
Anybody have any experience with the box anchor? I keep getting told its the best anchor available but it sure isnt cheap. I'd like to hear from somone who has one before i shell out that money for one.

BEST one period. :wink:

i have been using one for the past 2 years. hold is great, easy to release and folds flat.

we have actually had 3 boats tied off to mine and the thing did not move a bit.

RPE_LSV
03-27-2008, 11:15 AM
The box anchor is the best anchor we've ever purchased. It folds flat for easy storage and comes with it's own case. Who wants all that dirt and junk in the boat right? Oh yeah, and it digs in really well so the boat doesn't move. (kind of important)

They are a bit spendy, but in my mind definitely worth the money. We also purchased the Shore Spike. It's not a must (obviously), but it's another nice to have and it works very very well.

Miller_Time
03-27-2008, 11:19 AM
Thanks guys, I just might have to bite the bullet and buy one. It seems like the solution to our problem. Thanks!

Sled491
03-27-2008, 07:42 PM
Yearround, I think the medium would be fine :D

AJones
03-27-2008, 09:38 PM
I store my anchors and rope in a empty plastic paint bucket with a snap on lid I bought from Lowes or Home Depot. I think it is about a 2 1/2 gallon size. It has enough room for 2 mushroom style anchors and plenty of rope. It keeps everything neatly stored and keeps any mud off the carpet. It doesn't slide around on carpet or turn over.

cab13367
03-27-2008, 09:50 PM
I've been using a galvanized Danforth anchor (http://www.danforthanchors.com/) and have been very happy with it. It also folds flat and cleans up easily when pulling it up. I paid around $70 for it at boatersworld including the chain and 100' of anchor rope.

Al

tazz3069
03-27-2008, 10:38 PM
Miller Time
I have the box anchor. It comes with a bag. I like it because you can fold it up and put it in the bag. It works great. We went out last year and it was very mindy out. Water was choppy. along with my anchor buddy, the to combo works great. Yes it cost a pretty penny but worth it. I would highly recommend it. Look on ebay.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Small-Box-Anchor-by-Slide-Anchor-Boat-Anchor-FREE_W0QQitemZ110204361492QQihZ001QQcategoryZ310QQ rdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQ_trksidZp1638.m118.l1247QQc mdZViewItem

lanceswake
03-28-2008, 11:36 AM
Seems like a great anchor, but personally I'd rather drop my 135 bucks on other toys besides somethin that's gonna sit at the bottom of the lake. IMO :wink:

cab13367
03-28-2008, 11:48 AM
Seems like a great anchor, but personally I'd rather drop my 135 bucks on other toys besides somethin that's gonna sit at the bottom of the lake. IMO :wink:
Couldn't agree more! :lol:

cab13367
03-28-2008, 11:52 AM
I've been using a galvanized Danforth anchor (http://www.danforthanchors.com/) and have been very happy with it. It also folds flat and cleans up easily when pulling it up. I paid around $70 for it at boatersworld including the chain and 100' of anchor rope.

Al
BTW, the rods that stick out to the side are for storage on larger boats that have an anchor storage well, so they can be cut off if not needed.

Al

zabooda
03-28-2008, 01:59 PM
I use a slip ring anchor that is the same as a Danforth but with a moveable collar ring to make it easier to pull out of the lake bottom. Fits flat, cheap and does well except where there is a large rock bottom because they don't rely on the weight to hold.