PDA

View Full Version : Temporally immobilized

ajmoritz17
03-24-2008, 08:18 AM
Hey I thought some of you might appreciate my first experience reversing the boat trailor-

I picked up my boat over the weekend and pulled in late...Crazy excited I couldn't wait to back it in my garage and pull the cover off. The grade of my driveway falls away from the house pretty good and its a real nasty lane to that driveway. So I head in and jimmy the trailor around to get the vehicle heading away from the house to back boat in. Imagine my surprise and choice words when I can't figure out why my brand new trailors breaks are locked up. My vehicle trailor hook up is 'one prong' short of the one needed to disengage this feature. I resorted to the manual where I found out how to bypass the safety feature with the highy technical piece of metal they give you that falls out if you don't duck tape it in. I had to collapse the tower to get it in my garage but i was able to put it back up after it was all the way in, had about an inch of room on each side to play with but it's all good..Just curious if anyone else had any similar stories or if I was the only moron who didn't have any clue. I'll try and post pics soon so you can see what im talking about.
Adam
________
CB400N (http://www.cyclechaos.com/wiki/Honda_CB400N)

james yarosz
03-24-2008, 10:48 AM
I had all the same problems till I got that fifth wire hooked up.BTW if you lose that metal bypass piece a nickle works perfectly.

Jon J
03-24-2008, 10:57 AM
Boy am I glad to read that I wasn't the only one to have that problem!! I keep my boat on the lake in a hoist all summer. At the end of the season I borrowed a truck that had a trailer plug issue that would not disengage the breaks when the truck was shifted into reverse. I too uttered a few choice words while trying to keep that same 'highly technical' piece of metal from falling out everytime. Every time I pulled forward that bypass piece would fall out and I would have to find in on the driveway and shove it back in! Very frustrating to say the least. I can't understand how such a well designed trailer didn't have a better system to disengage the breaks. So Adam....your not a moron...at least you got out the duct tape to solve the problem. I just kept on trying to put the metal piece back in differently convinced that I was doing it wrong.

ian ashton
03-24-2008, 11:13 AM
We've had similar issues with my buddies Yamaha. When he picked it up from the dealer they didn't have the 'key', which we didn't know existed until we tried to back the boat down the ramp. Talk about frustration, the boat 6' away from the water on the maiden voyage, and we can't go in reverse, lol. We ended up being able to do it, just going really slow.

I learned when backing the rig in to my driveway that a peny fit perfectly into the Yamaha slot, made life much easier, haha.

zabooda
03-24-2008, 11:17 AM
Try putting magnetic tape on the bottom of the plug.

BLKOUTLS
03-24-2008, 11:41 AM
many times if you have a flat 4 plug just reverse the plug and turn your headlights on and it will disengage the reverse lockout.

Chris

Buttafewcoe
03-24-2008, 12:14 PM
Yep, or take the one on the end and just plug it into the 1st one by the male plug. Turn lights on and you should be good.
b

bambam26
03-24-2008, 12:28 PM
Or just buy the adapter for the plug in......

zegm
03-24-2008, 01:17 PM
Aj,

did you get the boat from the dealer? If you did and they let you leave this way I would have to call them back and have a discussion!

hiqualityH2O
03-24-2008, 01:34 PM
Aj - you are no moron. I'm confident enough in my manhood to say I did the same thing in front of my house - blocked the whole street! My neigbhbors were like "nice boat, now can you get that thing out of the way!" Ahh the joys of boating (and trailering)!

Smrtz
03-24-2008, 02:29 PM
Same here... Ive also done it!

davidl
03-24-2008, 02:33 PM
OK I admit it...........Me Too!!! :lol:

YellowMoomba0
03-24-2008, 04:29 PM
I dont know but I may be the Alpha Moron here. My dealer warned me about this on my 04 Outback, I still did it.

for me, flipping the pin 180 degrees, pluging in 3 male to 3 female and turning on the parking lights was the trick. Now I have the adapter.

tazz3069
03-24-2008, 04:29 PM
I have done it too!!!. I had to call my dealership and ask them what is wrong. They told me about the key. And yes, I had to tape it in as it would fall out everytime I went forward. You would think, when you purchase your boat, they do a walk through with you, they should tell you about the key. I felt like a moran when I called the dealership.

04OUTBACK
03-24-2008, 07:26 PM
this may be obvious, but just to pass along...
If you have a truck/suv with the round 7 pin to 4 pin adapter, you can get a 7 - 5 adapter at Auto Zone, WalMart Auto, Advance Auto, etc.

These are great.. I did not realize that at first and I tapped a line into my reverse lights to hook up.. now i have th 7 -5 pin adapter..

Sled491
03-24-2008, 07:43 PM
Wow, this just blows my mind. My dealer wouldn't even let me pick up my boat until I bought the 7 to 5 pin adaptor. I quess some dealers are more thorough than others :wink:

zegm
03-24-2008, 09:55 PM
OK maybe I am being too hard you guys. And to be truthfull my other boat has the reverse solinoid so I was already aware of this issue. What kind of bothered me was when I spoke to the service manager and asked him if he had the 7 pin mating connector that matched the Silverado and if so (he said yes!?) if he would go ahead and wire the trailer for it. Well when I picked up the boat he had stuck the flat 5 to round adapter in place instead?? :roll: I wired my other boat trailer with this plug so I don't need any adapters you just plug the trailer into the 7 pin connector and go. I will also change this trailer plug to that style so that I don't have to worry about losing any adapters.

zabooda
03-25-2008, 12:13 AM
Try to keep your trailer connector as "standardized" as possible. You never know when you will use someone else's rig to pull your boat so it is important to try and keep the more common connector on the boat trailer and modify your rig to fit.

zabooda
03-25-2008, 12:14 AM
Try to keep your trailer connector as "standardized" as possible. You never know when you will use someone else's rig to pull your boat so it is important to try and keep the more common connector on the boat trailer and modify your rig to fit.

zabooda
03-25-2008, 12:15 AM

zabooda
03-25-2008, 12:16 AM

zegm
03-25-2008, 06:57 AM
I disagree, why have components that can get lost or stolen? People in this town will take those adapters if you leave them in your truck. And for every extra connection you have more chances of corrosion, especially when you pull both a salt water boat and a fresh water one. And besides no one is pulling my boats!

ajmoritz17
03-25-2008, 07:20 AM
wow good to know I'm not alone! Hopefully this post will help others to be more prepared. I'm def. going to go out and buy an adapter for my truck- thanks for all the help!
________
medical marijuana patient (http://mmjp.org)

zegm
03-25-2008, 08:02 AM
AJ,

Do you have the boat yet? If not this is something that the dealer should throw in for free!!!! It is their job to make you happy and to ensure that you leave the dealership safe and ready to go play!!!! :lol:

ajmoritz17
03-25-2008, 08:34 AM
zegm,

yea i have boat and in the trailor packet i got what i assume to be the correct wiring harness/adapter.....So I guess I dont have to buy anything just have to unhook the one that came on my truck and wire on the one that came with boat-----but now that i think about it the one that came with the boat has the extra hole will this affect other trailors that i plug into that dont have the extra male end?
________
RC144 (http://www.cyclechaos.com/wiki/Honda_RC144)

YellowMoomba0
03-25-2008, 09:09 AM
Keeping it standard is the best idea, for you never know when you will decide to sell your boat. Obviously, you dont want the aggravation of having to change back to a standard harness at sale time. Yep, adapter.

JesseC
03-25-2008, 09:24 AM
but now that i think about it the one that came with the boat has the extra hole will this affect other trailors that i plug into that dont have the extra male end?

The extra pin will not hurt anything. I also pull a utility trailer with our dirt bikes on it and it only has the four pin connector. The fifth pin is reverse and the extra socket just hangs off of the end. Does not hurt anything.

GeauxTigers
03-25-2008, 11:54 AM
Aj,

did you get the boat from the dealer? If you did and they let you leave this way I would have to call them back and have a discussion!

X2!

My dealer actually had a checklist of items they reviewed with me before they let me hook up and drive away! I also had to sign this list for their records (I know its just CYA for them, but very professionally done). If I were AJ, I would make sure my dealer had a piece of my mind.

GeauxTigers
03-25-2008, 11:56 AM
The extra wire goes to the reverse lights. Whenever you engage reverse, it turns on the lights and that actuates the brake disengage mechanism.