PDA

View Full Version : Troubleshooting Engine (Outback 310hp)

brucevanderbilt
07-13-2002, 09:41 PM
Today, my motor apparently overheated. About 2 miles from the launch, I was driving about 3000 RPMs when I noticed a strange sound coming from the exhaust. When I looked back I saw a bluish haze coming from my exhaust. I immediately looked at the temp gauge and saw that it was heating up (about 175). I shut down the engine, which resulted in a good amount of white smoke out the exhaust. I lifted the engine cover to find a bunch of white smoke in the engine compartment, and found that the starboard side exhaust manifold was super heated, yet the port side was cool. Also, noticed one of the 2 upper exhaust tubing clamps had broken. I let the engine cool and started the engine briefly to listen for strange sounds, I noticed a whining sound from the water pump. I checked the water intake and pulled the cover on the impeller and both looked fine.

It sounds like a strange combination of symptoms. Especially the blue smoke and overheated exhaust manifold on only one side. Regardless, I'm still thinking it's a cooling system problem which led to the smoke, etc. Has anyone experienced similar problems? Does it sound like there could be internal engine problems here? I'll appreciate any comments you can give me. Thanks,

brucevanderbilt
07-23-2002, 10:46 AM
turns out it was just a failed water pump. I guess overheating the engine resulted in the blue smoke anomaly. It now runs fine with no smoke.