PDA

View Full Version : Wake Plate Question ...

bobwells
03-22-2008, 08:48 PM
Do any of yall have a wake plate on a D.D. ? reason asking I'm seeking a larger wake for the most econmical way. Just cant afford another boat right now such as the V-dr. If they do have wake plates on the D.D. do they make much difference in size and shape of wake? thanks, bob

bamaspiveys
03-22-2008, 09:08 PM
Similar question,

Can I put a wake plate on an 07 outback?

It has that little plate, BTW anyone know what that is for?

and what is a D. D.

I see that alot but can't make the connection?????

ian ashton
03-22-2008, 09:22 PM
I don't know about the quality of the wake, but I did ask the dealer if the hydraulic wakeplate could be added after the fact, should I decide down the road that I wanted it. They said that it can be done, but its very labor intensive, and thus pretty expensive to have done, because they have to get in behind the fuel tank and such. I believe he said its almost a full day of labor to install.

bamaspiveys
03-22-2008, 10:20 PM
It may be time consuming, but it would not be complicated.

I took my seat and tank out this weekend trying to figure out a way to stop the backsplash EVERYTIME I fill up.

I was really expecting to find a kink in the air release hose, but to Moomba's credit that is really a great design. However the inlet hose is a terrible design!

It has a 90 degree bend less than 3 inches from where the pump nozzel would end. no wonder is splashes back!

Sorry got off on a tanget there>>>>>>

bamaspiveys
03-22-2008, 10:23 PM
so what is the actual purpose of the plate?

does it increase the wake size, or help the boat plane when loaded, or both?

What happens when you use the plate on an unloaded boat?

Sled491
03-22-2008, 10:28 PM
OK, the wakeplate does not make the wake like say the Wedge on a Malibau. The wakeplate actually is used to smooth out the wake on the larger heavier boats. On the Outback the small black plate is again to give some lift and flatten out the wake to make a tournament level wake.

The hydraulic wake plate used in conjunction with ballast is used to shape and refine the wake for user preferance.

Most people get it backwards because of the name "Wakeplate".

Bama, do I understand you correctly. Are you asking what DD is? If so DD is Direct Drive on the Outback or the Mobius LS while Outback V and LSV and XLV are V drive, refering to the way the drive train forms a V from the engine to the final drive.

jmvotto
03-22-2008, 10:30 PM
DD = Direct Drive

Versus a v drive :D

On my v drive the wake plate shapes the wake small flat for skiing, rampy for boarding, not sure the effect on the DD, should be similar except for the weight location difference.

bamaspiveys
03-22-2008, 10:45 PM
Thanks Sled!

So a Wakeplate will not do me much good, as I suspected. I just could not see how it would increase the wake size.

Now on the DD question, not to insult everyone that uses that term but to me it is redundant.

So in a conversation if someone tells me they have an inboard, and do not identify it as a V drive, then I would assume it is a direct drive. Too many years in the slalom and barefoot world I guess. Never even been in a V drive, not real sure I ever saw one in person until I started looking for my current boat last year.

Nautique made one in 1993 that was supposed to be a good barefoot boat, about the time I was getting out of competition, and I never got a chance to see it. Don't know if anyone else made a V that early, or when they really came on strong. I was on my 15 year sabbatical.

I understand why all you wakeboarders love them though.

zegm
03-22-2008, 10:52 PM
Yeah today my wife learned that with the Wake plate down (engaged) there is not much of a wake on the LS. Pull the wakeplate up and now you have a decent wakeboard wake, fill the rear tank and wow look at that wake!!!!! We both had it backwards in our mind until we finally got to play with our new LS.

Sled491
03-22-2008, 11:01 PM
Hey Bama, no problem. that's what I'm here for, to share all the useless knowledge I hold :lol:

zegm
03-22-2008, 11:04 PM
And I feel I must apologize to Sled too for rubbing in the warm water thingie! Just trying to show that going south gives you a Much longer boating season. :D Did you see the daily pic!?

Sled491
03-22-2008, 11:06 PM
Yep, liken those smiles on the kids faces. Keep up the good work Z :D

bamaspiveys
03-22-2008, 11:10 PM
So, Sled
that is something I have wondered about.

How long is the season in WI?

Comming in of my sabbatical, I was surprised how many barefoot competitions are up north now. It seems like all the major events are up there too, instead of FL. Really surprised me

Sled491
03-22-2008, 11:29 PM
Bama,

On the river by my house there is a group of very hard core footers. They don't even invite you out unless your gonna foot. So I can hang with them after the morning sets, but in the morning if I show up with a ski I had better be trying to retrieve someithing valuable from the water with it, cause I obciously didn't show up to go out with them :D

My typical season will start in early to mid May and I can ski comforatably until around end of September. If I go Dry suit I could extend my season by a couple of weeks either way. All n all not bad considering what it was like growing up in North Western Ontario Canada :shock:

bamaspiveys
03-22-2008, 11:43 PM
Yea, we like it smooth.

Footers and Wakeboards are bound to clash on occasions.

I was spoiled, I was in a group like the one on your river, 15 plus footers, so our sessions lasted a while when everone showed up but we got along with the other skiers. We skied early and late, left the water for everyone else in the middle.

Now my most hated vessel on the water are the JetBees, aka JetSkis. Even if the person is with a group of people that are skiing, or a skier themself, they looooose their mind as soon as they sit down.

I am old enough to remember the standup jet skis, and I knew then they would be the death of calm water then!!!

Hughes144
03-23-2008, 12:42 AM
What I usually do with the wakeplate....

I usually load up my boat with fat sacs so in order to shoot my boat out of the water more easier, I keep the wakeplate down then when the PP gets set, I adjust my wakeplate to the rider's preference. Yes, wakeplate does help shape up the wake. I have played with it many times and have seen it with my own eyes.

Wakeplate down = normal wake (yes, big wake)

Wakeplate up = steeper wake but it requires much more speed to maintain a clean wake.

I usually ride it at 1/4 up or 1/2 up. Never beyond half wtih all of weights. it's little harder on my engine and prop (I have 4 blade stock one, plan to get a wakeboard prop someday soon)

Also not to mention this, wakeplate down = saves gas but wakeplate up = burns more gas

bobwells
03-23-2008, 04:15 AM
I'm still unclear if it would be worth the time and $'s to install one in hope of a significantly larger/steeper wake... :? I'm kinda leaning to my old analogy of "use what you got till you get what you need"... :wink:
V-DRIVE :lol:

04OUTBACK
03-23-2008, 10:26 AM
BAMA
-I had 04 Outback and had same splash back issues when fueling! I ended up taking the existing fuel hose off and replacing it. I cut the new one a hair shorter to reduce that 90 degree kink you speak of. Worked MUCH better for me. Maybe something you want to try.

Bob,
I got the feeling when I had my Outback that the wakeplate would not help much for a bigger wake... Where the wakeplate does not do a ton for the outback is because the weight is so center balanced that if you set the wakeplate all the way up, you still will not get the back of the boat further in the water...
The best wake I had in it was with 2 adults in the front and 4 adults in the back of the boat... more weight in the front helps displace more water on the outbacks...

bamaspiveys
03-23-2008, 12:22 PM
I almost tried the fuel hose fix you mentioned, but I wanted a backup plan. I am all about redundancy! So before I cut the hose I have I need one to put it back like it was.

LOL

Glad to hear it helped, so when my new hose comes in next week, I'll let you know how mine turns out.

On the wakeplate, I am of the opinion that weight makes the wake and the plate fine tunes it. So unless I am planning to add weight (and I am not) then the plate is not going to do much for me.

Now for the question that is going to burn a hole in my head.....

There is a hole in the wake at 100ft, how do I know? becasue I stepped off in it the first time I barefooted longline on my boat.

So would the wakeplate help me shape my barefoot wake and fine tune it?

You'll learn to hate the way I think, just ask my wife, she has been dealing with it for 15 years.... LOL

Sled491
03-23-2008, 12:26 PM
Wakeplate might help, a prop change might also work

maxpower220
03-23-2008, 04:00 PM
A dealer quoted me $800 to add a wakeplate to an outback. Considering the price for wires/switch, gauge, and hydraulics, it can't be that much in labor (i.e. it can't be hard to install). Hope that helps.