PDA

View Full Version : Questions from a newbie

Tyger
03-16-2008, 01:54 PM
I recently bought a used 2005 Mobius LSV. I've been boating all my adult life, but this is the fist boat I've owned and my first real experience with inboards. I've done tons of research here and all over and I've gotten most of my questions answered, but I still have a few questions I couldn't find anywhere else. I've also been told and figured out some things about inboards (like most of them will only back in one direction and not too well at that!), but any other general tips about inboards or Moomba's is greatly appreciated.

I bought the boat from an individual, so I don't have a dealer to ask about this stuff (although I plan on having the local dealer give the boat a once-over very soon).

How do you run the motor out of the water?
For I/Os there's a little device you can buy that feeds water into the lower unit from a garden hose to be able to run the engine when not actually in the water. Is there a similar device for inboards?

How do you use the wakeplate?
We played around with this our first time out, but had trouble finding a good setting for 'the perfect wake'.

How do you raise the top white navigation light?
This is a pretty dumb one, but both my buddy and I fiddled around with this and couldn't figure it out and the instructions in the manual didn't help. It's a bit brittle already and I didn't want to force it and break something.

Where can I get Moomba parts?
I test drove another 2005 LSV that was a Gravity III. I'm not sure if this is just better equipped, but it had sweet Moomba branded pop-up cleats. I just assumed when I bought this other boat (a Gravity I) that it would have them also and didn't realize until I got it home that it doesn't have cleats at all. I would also like the buy the factory depth guage, which my boat doesn't have either.

Can anyone recommend a bimini top for this boat?

Thanks in advance and I will post pictures shortly.

04OUTBACK
03-16-2008, 04:56 PM
Welcome to the Moomba Clan!

How do you run the motor out of the water?

2 main options: Fake a lake.. looks like a toilet plunger. it attaches to the water intake on bottom of hull.
Perko Flush Pro 1 1/4" - This fits inline on your water intake hose between hull and where the intake goes into your trans/v-drive. I had one of these on my outback and it was great. If you plan on using lots, go with this. If you do this 1-2 times a year, go with fake a lake. (go to overtons, west marine, etc. and search fake a lake)

How do you use the wakeplate?
Many ride at 50% or 1/2.. lower and you'll get flatter wakes, higher and you'll get peakier ramps.. I usually keep it around 50% unless I decide to play a little..

How do you raise the top white navigation light?
on one side of the light, where the phillips head screw is, there is a piece that flips out... there are grooves that hold the light in place, when you flip this out, it loosens light.... yes it will break somewhere if you pull on the light and not flip this clip..
http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j14/bradwebb1/towerlight.jpg

Where can I get Moomba parts?
Find a dealer to order from.. Moomba generally will not sell parts direct. If there is not a dealer close, you can have them shipped from them. The cleats are nice.. ATTWOOD makes some just like the Moomba, just not laser etched. There is as post on here about upgrading to Grav. III. do a little searching and you should find it. I think there is mention of someone at Moomba who can give you a parts list.. You would probably want to get the 400lb fly high sacs for the back. 750's won't fit in your 05. There is a new 565lb sac that is said to fit.. Basically, you will need the evac pumps, hoses, switch panel with all 3 switches and the manifold/solenoid valves. I believe that the Grav III system uses one pump to fill all 3 so you should be able to utilize that. anyway, look for the post and you'll see where to look to order the entire kit. I have seen where some dealers will install for same cost of factory option ($800ish).

Depth finder.. there is nothing Moomba or specific about the depth gauge.
here are 2 affordable options depending on your installation prefs.
http://www.overtons.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?i=350974&pdesc=Humminbird_HDR_610_Dash_Depth_Sounder_w/Transom_Mount_Transducer&str=depth&merchID=1008&r=view
http://www.overtons.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?i=321019&pdesc=Humminbird_HDR_610_Dash_Depth_Sounder_w/_Hull_Puck_Transducer&str=depth&merchID=1008&r=view

Can anyone recommend a bimini top for this boat?
Check Towerbiminis.com

spyder
03-16-2008, 05:33 PM
I have been afraid to lift my light too, feels like it will snap.

Hughes144
03-16-2008, 08:08 PM
Speaking of the light and flipping thing... I went through the same thing and finally figured it out on my own. but my flipper did somehow broke the pin and will not stay on once i flip it down so i can get my light up. So I just have to flip it down, hold that part then set the light up then flip it back on. So just be careful when you flip it down. It can break easily. (my boat's 06 LSV.)

Since we're on the same page, is there any way I can fix it? More likely having to replace that flip thing.

bamaspiveys
03-16-2008, 08:34 PM
That light took me a while to figure out too. LOL, I feel better now.

Bombguy
03-16-2008, 09:31 PM
Broke my light off before I ever put the boat in the water. I used duct tape to keep it up, when needed until I took the boat in for service. I forget what it cost for the replacement, but now I know how not to break it.

Neil

BENTLEYBOY
03-17-2008, 02:03 AM
Rinker's on Mount Houston is your local dealer. I bought my boat private as well and caught no hint of a problem with them when I took it in for a service a month or so ago. I could not recommend them enough. I recently ordered some items from them to update my boat and found that they sell at SC list, which is fair. I can tell you that a lot of car dealers mark up well beyond the MSRP on parts so I would guess that some boat dealers do as well.

Let me know if you will be coming to Lake Somerville some weekend soon. We live in Fulshear but recently bought some land up there. Conroe is a joke. Too many people there to be able to relax and have a nice time with the family.

Welcome. Believe me .... there are no stupid questions on this board. Use the search function and if that proves fruitless, just ask. This is a pretty cool group of enthusiasts!

YellowMoomba0
03-17-2008, 08:36 AM
Operating your engine on the trailer is one thing, just do not put the boat in gear while on the trailer.

jdsharpe57
03-17-2008, 01:18 PM
I'm sure you have figured out the light thing by now, but if you haven't the easiest way to losen the flap that you pull out to stand the light up, is by grabing a philips head screwdriver and ever so slightly loosening the screw that holds it in place. This should help out a bit for you, that's how I learned to make it work for me :)

Good to know it wasn't just me!

Tyger
03-17-2008, 05:34 PM
Whew I'm glad I'm not the only one that had trouble with the flip-up nav light.

Thanks for the manual picture post, 04OUTBACK. I noticed your manual says 2006, while mine is from 2005. My manual actually doesn't match what's on the boat and shows a round screw knob, which is why I just couldn't figure it out.

However, once we got the boat in the garage and worked on it, I noticed (like JD) that the screw was simply too tight and slightly loosening it allowed the lever to flip out. However, as I pointed out, it's brittle and had already broken before I bought the boat. However, it's working well now that I loosened the screw, so the broken bit doesn't seem to be hurting anything.

NCSUmoomba
03-17-2008, 06:26 PM
As for engine parts, you can get them from any Indmar dealer. That means Mastercraft and Malibu dealers if there is one closer that the Supra/Moomba dealer.

Sled491
03-19-2008, 09:59 PM
to run your motor up on the trailer try this. GO buy a 1.99 plunger from Walmart. Cut a round hole in the side the size of your garden hose. Wedge the plunger up against the water pickup and the handle into the driveway. Push the garden hose into the afore mentioned hole and turn the water on. This worked great for me.

My pop up light on my Outback Bimini became a warrenty issue almost immediately, I'm not sure they're using the best part available for this application, hence the big purchase price savings.

As mentioned Overtons or Boatcovers.com for your Bimini or you can always go factory.

Hope this was almost a little helpful.