PDA

View Full Version : Trailer surqe cable ( I am that guy)

moombabmf
03-15-2008, 12:39 PM
Well my last trip out last summer i backed the boat in dropped the trailer and took off with the surge cable still hooked up. I wanted to know if anyone knows how to fix this. Or a web site that will tell me how to fix this.

04OUTBACK
03-15-2008, 03:20 PM
Not sure if you can read this, but here it goes... if this does not work, pm and i"ll email to you

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j14/bradwebb1/breakaway.jpg

yeah, I have done it too

aerophoto
03-15-2008, 04:15 PM
LOL I was just about to ask the same As last year I did exactly that and figured prior to getting my new boat I should ask. You beat me to the question. As for how we reset it on the old boat the brakes never fired. So in the trailer will go this year to get them fixed so they work. Good thing we dont tow the boat far.

bamaspiveys
03-15-2008, 06:40 PM
I did it too.

I actually broke the cable and had to replace the cable.

The company that makes the actuator is Unique Funtional Products, you can download the manual from there. It tells you how to replace the clips if you did not break the cable, and how to replace the cable.

http://www.ufpnet.com/

Now if you have to order parts UFP only sells through distributors and I can't find the name of the distributor I used, but if you call UFP they will hook you up.

I rebuilt my actuator in about 15 minutes, and slapped it back in the trailer, just got finished bleeding the brakes today and ready to go!!!!

lowdrag
03-16-2008, 07:01 AM
I did the same thing to mine last year. I'm guessing that if your asking for help it means you snapped the cable like I did. I ended up ordering a new one directly from Boatmate. I want to saw that it was somewhere between $20 and $30. Make sure that you've got the trailer somewhere nearby when you call because I remember them saying that they actually use two different actuators and each one takes a different cable.

When I talked to the dealer, he told me that I would need to disconnect the brake lines and remove the entire assembly to replace the cable. I have the swing away tongue on my trailer so it may be different for you, but I found out that there is enough play in the lines that I could do it without disconnecting the lines. The system isn't that complicated and you can get a good look at how everything is put together if you've got the swing away tongue option. Just make sure that you look at how the cable is routed before you tear it apart. The only problem I experienced was trying to get the rollers back in place and get the pins through them when putting things back together. It took a little longer to do it that way but it was worth not having to bleed the brakes.