PDA

View Full Version : Add a tower to 2002 Outback

Tremp Moomba
08-20-2003, 12:07 PM
I am strongly thinking about adding a tower to my 2002 Outback. The local dealer indicates that the style that fits the 2002 Outback is the old style that attaches in four places and doesn't collapse... so it won't fit into a garage after installation... not what I wanted.

Does anyone have a factory installed rack on a 2002 Outback that collapses?

He also indicated that adding a rack probably will also cause gel coat cracks after installation and use.. has anyone seen indications of that?

If anyone has installed a non-OEM tower to a 2002 Outback, I would be interested that models that had success and failure stories.

Tremp Moomba
08-20-2003, 12:41 PM
The dealer did indicate that the 2003 is the newer style and does collapse, but the 2003 tower won't fit my 2002 outback.

Troy0501
08-20-2003, 02:34 PM
Hey Inliner do you use the factory bolts with your tower?? I changed out the factory bolts to some bolts with a plastic knob..if your using yours pretty often these knobs are really nice and alot faster than using the ratchet or allen wrench. I have an '02 outback with the rad-a-cage as well.

noneya
08-21-2003, 03:46 PM
I put a skylon sport bar on my 2001 Outback, it does collapse but I usually dont do it. Install was pretty easy me and a couple of friends took a morning to do it. I got mine used so it was really cheap but even new they are still only around 1000. I just put it on a few weeks ago so cant comment on cracks or long term performance.

skibohdi
08-21-2003, 09:28 PM
If you go with the OEM tower you may want to check with your dealer about availability. I waited almos 2 months for mine because the factory was so far behind. Since the install I haven't noticed any stress cracks comming from the tower mounts. I do have stress cracks reappearing from my rub rail, but that is a subject for a different thread.

Gel coat cracks are a direct result of the instalation. I would question your dealer extesively on how many they have done. My dealer was honest and told me he had only one tech that he trusts to do his instals. Sounds like your dealer is trying to skirt the issue.

TheBeeZ
08-22-2003, 08:39 AM
I also have a factory installed rad-a cage that folds down on a 2002 Outback LS. I have no problems with gelcoat.

gotwake
08-31-2003, 03:16 PM
I HAVE A RAD-A KAGE AS WELL AND IT IS SWEET. I FOLD ALL THE WAY DOWN WITH SPEAKES AND LIGHTS ON THE TOWER. IN FACT THAT WAS THE ONLY WAY I WAS GONNA BUY THE BOAT ORIGINALLY.

Tremp Moomba
09-02-2003, 12:32 PM
The OEM rad-a-cage tower availability and price didn't match my requirements and expectations... Ordered my Monster Tower last Friday hopefully to be here soon. I'll post my results after installation. Thanks for the input from all.

Hurndaddy
09-02-2003, 02:11 PM
If your worried about your tower making marks in your gelcoat just put some towels onmit when you lower it

Tremp Moomba
01-05-2004, 03:12 PM
old update to my original post. The Monster Tower is on my 2002 Moomba Outback and I love it. I'm a big guy and this tower doesn't move a bit.

I am not trying to increase sales for Monster, but I couldn't be happier. The tower is attached... when colapsed and folded back the cross bar lands right on the pad that is on the back of my engine cover and the side bars don't even contact the boat. It also folds such that the original boat cover didn't need to be modified a bit. I haven't traveled/drove with the cover on, but I think it will be fine. There is a bunch of Moomba's on the Monster Tower website with the Monster Tower if you want to see what they look like... My boat is the one all the way on the bottom... www.monstertower.com/cusomterphotos/index.htm

Yellowmobius
01-05-2004, 03:33 PM
Gordon,

Which way do you flod the tower? What do you do to keep it off the boat?