PDA

View Full Version : Steering Cable Longevity

gsi09907
03-12-2008, 08:35 PM
How long will a steering cable last under normal use. I know it is a tough question but what do most of you speculate a reasonable time frame is. I average around 85-100 hours per year and I have a 2007 Mob LSV. Just wondering when I should start worrying. Also, how much is a replacement bill for such an item?

zegm
03-12-2008, 10:00 PM
OK I will catch some flak for this one but my 1975 MasterCraft Stars and Stripes has her original steering cable and it is fine! But to help you out you would have do judge (subjectively) if it is more difficult to turn the wheel now than it was a few months ago. If you desire a better check you will have to inspect the cable.

lanceswake
03-12-2008, 10:06 PM
gsi

I bought my OB new in '05 and the cable now needs to be replaced. A buddy told me he bought a new cable for his Mobius and it was around 50 bucks and he installed it himself. I'm sure if you take it to a dealer to have it installed you can probably multiply that by 3. Hope that helps.

JesseC
03-12-2008, 10:58 PM
It depends on how much time your boat spends in the water. As to the Mastercraft running the original cable this may be due to the fact that the hull is flat and water settles more toward the engine. In the wakeboard hulls the water selltes back near the rudder where the cable end is located. This caused the cable to rust more rapidly. I had to replace mine at around 180 hours. The steering became VERY difficult. Seems like the cost of the new cable was around $160 and I did it myself. Check out the folowing thread for more info. I have pics and tips on how to replace them.

https://forum.moomba.com/viewtopic.php?t=4406&highlight=

Aquaholic
03-12-2008, 11:00 PM
My 05 XLV had to have its steering cable last spring. The first summer we

used the boat my rear ballast bag hoses were to short. When the rear

bags would fill to a certain level the top fill hose would rise and rip out.

Once the top is not filling the bag, its filling the bilge and the bag is

dumping it water load too. The problem with the water is the steering

wheel cable is in the lowest part of the bilge. Then the turning of the

wheel turns the cable in and out, this

will actually draw water into the cable housing. The water corrodes the

cable in time and poof you need a new cable. I wish SC would re engineer

the tiller arm higher to avoid contact with water. Or a water proof cable

I was lucky, I had a warranty in the beginning about the fill lines, so I

argued the point about the cable and they generously agreed and

warrantied the cable. If you can do the work yourself buy a teleflex

brand.

maxpower220
03-14-2008, 09:47 AM
By doing preventative maintenance, you can extend the life of your cable. Lube it often with the recommended grease and it should last a long time. I never had a problem with my last few boats, the longest owned was a 99 MC that I recently sold.

04OUTBACK
03-14-2008, 12:04 PM
Curious.. How/where do you lube steering cables?

Thnks

Buttafewcoe
03-14-2008, 02:23 PM
You can only get to the ends that stick out of the sheath. If you turn the steeering wheel to one side that will make the cable extend all the way out @ the rudder put a good coat of grease on it, then turn back the other way to get some grease up in the end.
The idea is to create a 'barrier' of sorts so water can't get into the sheath by caking a small amount of grease around where the cable enters it.
Hope this helps.
B

04OUTBACK
03-14-2008, 05:05 PM
Thanks butta