PDA

View Full Version : adding another set of brakes??

martyslc
03-12-2008, 03:51 PM
Has anyone added another set of brakes to their trailer? I have one set now but want to put some on the back axel. I have got the rotor kits, etc on their way from the manufacturer (UFP) but they said they can’t help with the brake line stuff. I have emailed “BoatMate” (Trailer Manufacturer) for help but haven’t heard back. All I need to do is bolt up the new set of brakes and then connect into the brake line some how. That’s where I don’t know what to do.

Do I need metal line just to go back 3 feet to the back brakes or can I just use the flexible rubber line and tee off the front ones?

Marty

Psmartell
03-12-2008, 07:38 PM
I would replace existing distribution block thart feeds original calipers with one that has (4) four ports 1 for inlet from master cylinder, 1 on each side for original calipers and 1 out the rear to tee off of to feed new calipers. You would benefit to use rigid (metal) brake lines to avoid road debris from ripping away rubber hose and causing brake failure due to empty master cylinder. Any RV supply or trailer supply should be able to get you the parts you need to add new rotors.Also Overtons carries complete kit to accomplish same task. You should have no problem bending brake lines to achieve proper radius, suggest buying cheap tubing bender to avoid kinking lines

Sled491
03-12-2008, 08:16 PM
Also remember a flaring tool in case you have to create your own custom lenghts

martyslc
03-14-2008, 10:41 AM
Thanks for your help!! I'm off to Henderson wheel.