PDA

View Full Version : Transom Remote

jdsharpe57
03-11-2008, 12:34 PM
Whats up peeps????????

I can't seem to leave this boat alone..... Summer can't get here fast enough and I'm pretty sure once it gets here I'll be saving some money with the boat on the water and not starring at me every time I pull up in the drive way (begging for some new addition). Anyways, that being said does anyone have any input on installing a Transom remote, has anyone ever done it and or had it done but is familiar with doing it. Is there a specific brand to go with that is better than another, or is there a wireless version? I want to install one myself and just need input, Thanks.

jmvotto
03-11-2008, 07:22 PM
Jd,

Lots of posts on the remotes, I am looking to add one too on our new OBV once the snow breaks

https://forum.moomba.com/viewtopic.php?t=4923&highlight=transom+remote

Good luck, show some pics when your done. :)

dealer estimate about 200 smacks. :shock:
JV

JesseC
03-11-2008, 10:18 PM
That seems really high to me. My wife asked that I add a remote to "her" spot on the boat. She likes to sit in the bow on the drivers side and I always forget to turn the radio back after resuming riding. So I added a remote up front for her. Total cost......$50 remote and an $11 dollar Y-connector. Here are the results:

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q21/StarkRaven/remoteclose035.jpg

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q21/StarkRaven/remote034.jpg

jdsharpe57
03-11-2008, 10:21 PM
Jesse,

that is really cool place to put one I didn't even think of that area. how long did it take?

JesseC
03-11-2008, 10:37 PM
Well, what took the longest was trying to drink enough beer to get my courage up to drill the three holes it took to install it! I had to drill two small holes for the studs and an 1/2 hole for the wire. These holes had to go through the vinyl, cushion backing and the hull! Minus the beer time it took about an hour. I ordered a Y-connector that had the correct "ends" on them to just plug the remotes in instead of cutting and splicing. The Y-connector was about 15 feet long, so I had to shorten it, but no modifications had to be made to the remotes.

bamaspiveys
03-11-2008, 11:13 PM
so you can have two remotes>>>>>

I have the factory 2007 remote on my outback and can't find another one anywhere online for sale, is SC the only place to get this item?

I did find another Kenwood remote, but it does not match so I was not sure if it would work.

Where did you find a Y connector?

JesseC you have got to me the most resourceful moomba owner out there.

JesseC
03-11-2008, 11:40 PM

I did find another Kenwood remote, but it does not match so I was not sure if it would work.

I am planning on adding a third remote at the transom!!!

Is your remote the same as the one in my picture or is it different?

As to the Y connector, I was pissed when it came in. It looked like a large coil of wire, but when I inspected the ends they were the mates to the factory remote connections so I did not feel as cheated paying $11 for a wire. I got mine off of ebay from Audio Allies do a google or ebay search for the following. In ebay it shows "No Matches", but if you scroll down there is an entry in the "stores".

Kenwood 170-00018-01 Y Cable For Kenwood Marine Remotes

scoot_gt
03-12-2008, 02:24 AM
Slick install indeed Jesse.

Someone out there just invent a volume control that follows engine RPMs.

This will prevent me from hitting Mute whenever I have to stop to pick up a rider ... and therefore prevent the women from bitching when we start back up and I forget to un-Mute!

Of course, I solved this problem by getting a waterproof ipod remote this off season - about the size of a key fob! Does anyone really use the radio? :)

BTW - my remote is diff from Jesse's - it looks like On Board's as posted here - just above, left of the throttle
https://forum.moomba.com/viewtopic.php?t=5155

Edit: found it here
http://shopmarineelectronics.com/marine_remotes/tsc_55.htm

Miller_Time
03-12-2008, 10:51 AM
Scoot,

HSE is coming out with a module that will turn down the volume when you slow down and turn it back up when your under way. It uses the engine RPM to control it.

http://www.hsetrident.com/index.php?page=revolution-series

byronkoz
03-12-2008, 01:08 PM
Im pretty sure with the kenwoods you can daisy chane as many remotes as you want.

Heres the remote
http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-KENWOOD-KCA-RC50MR-MARINE-BOAT-WIRED-REMOTE-CONTROL_W0QQitemZ360024103278QQihZ023QQcategoryZ12 040QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQ_trksidZp1638.m118.l12 47QQcmdZViewItem

And the nicer one
http://cgi.ebay.com/Kenwood-KTS-RC100MR-Marine-Wired-LCD-Remote-KTS-MP400MR_W0QQitemZ280207023916QQihZ018QQcategoryZ12 040QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

scoot_gt
03-12-2008, 01:15 PM
HSE is coming out with a module that will turn down the volume when you slow down and turn it back up when your under way. It uses the engine RPM to control it.

http://www.hsetrident.com/index.php?page=revolution-series

Miller_Timer - you are the man!

I'll query HSE as to when this gadget is avail and assuming cost is reasonable, I'll test this sucker out!

Miller_Time
03-12-2008, 02:27 PM
Hey scoot, let me know what ya find out. This sounds like a great product!

JesseC
03-12-2008, 03:35 PM
This will prevent me from hitting Mute whenever I have to stop to pick up a rider ... and therefore prevent the women from bitching when we start back up and I forget to un-Mute!

That is why I put the remote up front, now it will be her fault that there is no music playing....this should stop the bitching right????

GeauxTigers
03-12-2008, 03:42 PM

That is why I put the remote up front, now it will be her fault that there is no music playing....this should stop the bitching right????

Nah!! There will always be a reason... and it will always be your fault!

scoot_gt
03-12-2008, 04:02 PM
this should stop the bitching right????

You can't stop the bitching, you can only hope to contain it :wink:

ian ashton
03-12-2008, 04:51 PM
Those last few responses make me :lol:

I love the idea of multiple remotes, I am so anxious to buy/order/whatever a Moomba (or Supra, still can't decide!) so I can start doing the modifications!

bamaspiveys
03-12-2008, 05:06 PM
Slick install indeed Jesse.

Someone out there just invent a volume control that follows engine RPMs.

Of course, I solved this problem by getting a waterproof ipod remote this off season - about the size of a key fob! Does anyone really use the radio? :)

BTW - my remote is diff from Jesse's - it looks like On Board's as posted here - just above, left of the throttle
https://forum.moomba.com/viewtopic.php?t=5155

Edit: found it here
http://shopmarineelectronics.com/marine_remotes/tsc_55.htm

Yep, that is what I was looking for
THANKS!

cab13367
03-16-2008, 04:10 PM

I am planning on adding a third remote at the transom!!!

Is your remote the same as the one in my picture or is it different?

As to the Y connector, I was pissed when it came in. It looked like a large coil of wire, but when I inspected the ends they were the mates to the factory remote connections so I did not feel as cheated paying $11 for a wire. I got mine off of ebay from Audio Allies do a google or ebay search for the following. In ebay it shows "No Matches", but if you scroll down there is an entry in the "stores".

Kenwood 170-00018-01 Y Cable For Kenwood Marine Remotes

Jesse,

I have a 2006 LSV with the stock KDC-225MR head unit and an Aeware wired remote by the throttle lever. I want to add a second remote on the transom (the exact one that you installed in the bow). Do I need to order the remote, the Y-cable, AND the 20' extension cable? Or just the remote and the Y-cable? The remote comes with only a 13" cable.

Also, do you install the Y-cable at the location of the 1st remote or at the head unit? There are no pics of the y-cable or the extension cable or the back of the remote so I can't tell how all this goes together. What does the cable coming out of the new remote look like? Is there a quick connect at the end of it, or just loose wires? And how many wires?

Any insight you could provide would be great.

Thanks,

Al

JesseC
03-16-2008, 10:18 PM
Jesse,

I have a 2006 LSV with the stock KDC-225MR head unit and an Aeware wired remote by the throttle lever. I want to add a second remote on the transom (the exact one that you installed in the bow). Do I need to order the remote, the Y-cable, AND the 20' extension cable? Or just the remote and the Y-cable? The remote comes with only a 13" cable.

Also, do you install the Y-cable at the location of the 1st remote or at the head unit? There are no pics of the y-cable or the extension cable or the back of the remote so I can't tell how all this goes together. What does the cable coming out of the new remote look like? Is there a quick connect at the end of it, or just loose wires? And how many wires?

Any insight you could provide would be great.

Thanks,

Al

The back of the remote has three loose wires and one that has a connector for the Ycable on it. I think they were black (ground), red (constant) and yellow (lights).

The Y-cable that I ordered was really long! I had to cut out about a 6 foot section to shorten it enough to go to the bow. One of the ends of the Y-cable goes to the new remote, the other end goes to the existing remote in the dash. You do not need to remove the one in the dash. The Y-cable connects to the original remote and the other connection goes to the wire that returns to the radio. I hope this makes sense.

Here is how I installed the bow remote.

I ran the single side of the Y-connector to the bow and plugged it into the new remote. I took the other end which has two connectors and routed it to the existing remote. You unplug the connector wire out of the original remote and hook it to one of the plugs on the ycable and the other connection hooks to the wire that you unplugged from the original remote.

The Y-cable should be long enough to reach the transom, if it is not, you could just splice some standard wire into it to lengthen the wire going to the new remote.

You also have to run constant power, a ground and a wire from the navigation light switch (or transom light) to activate the led light in the remote. If you do not care about it being lit, you can just leave that one off, I think it was yellow. The remote comes with full instructions and if yours does not for some reason, I will send you mine. Let me know if there is anything else you need.

cab13367
03-17-2008, 01:39 AM
Thanks Jesse. Could I just make my own extension cable and splice into the 4 wires going to the existing remote and hook them up to the new remote?

Al

JesseC
03-17-2008, 09:59 AM
Thanks Jesse. Could I just make my own extension cable and splice into the 4 wires going to the existing remote and hook them up to the new remote?

Al

I do not see why you couldn't. I put a volt meter on the Ycable and it appears to just be a wire with three plugs on it. They keep you from cutting the existing remote and new remote "blue" wire connection that goes back to the radio. You do not have to run the other three wires from the existing remote. You can locate constant 12volts, a ground and a "hot wire" from a transom navigation light, you could just wire the others in the stern instead of running three wires all the way to the back of the boat from the helm. Again, you do NOT have to wire in the transom light wire to the remote, this is only for illumination and I do not like to swim after dark anyway!!

cab13367
03-17-2008, 03:00 PM
Thanks Jesse. Only problem with tying into a navigation light is that it is switched so I would have to switch the light on to make it hot. I've replaced the nav light socket with a 12V plug already and plan to wire that to a direct hot anyway so I could make that work.

Thanks again.

Al

JesseC
03-17-2008, 03:05 PM
Thanks Jesse. Only problem with tying into a navigation light is that it is switched so I would have to switch the light on to make it hot. I've replaced the nav light socket with a 12V plug already and plan to wire that to a direct hot anyway so I could make that work.

Thanks again.

Al

I was only suggesting using the negative and the switched wire and then find a different source for the constant 12volts, sorry, I guess that was not clear. If I was to use the navigation light I would wire as follows:

Wire color - Purpose - suggested source
Yellow: Ilumination - positive wire from stern light
Black: - Ground - Negative wire from stern light
Red: - 12v constant - find a 12v constant at rear of boat and tap into it
Blue: - Remote output - connect to Ycable going back to original remote.

Hopefully that makes more sense.

cab13367
03-17-2008, 11:17 PM
Yes it does. Thanks again for the help.

Al

cab13367
04-01-2008, 06:46 PM
If your boat came from the factory with the transom remote, would you mind posting a pic showing where they installed it? I am getting ready to install one on my boat and am curious to know where the factory installed it.

Thanks,

Al

McMoomba
04-14-2008, 08:51 PM
Al, I was looking for the same info and kept checking here, I found a pic so here ya go...

http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z197/maleyb/Boat/DSCN09551.jpg

04OUTBACK
04-14-2008, 10:28 PM
I was kinda thinking of putting mine above the rub rail.. That location could be underwater surfing or get pretty wet with full ballast!

cab13367
04-15-2008, 03:34 PM
Al, I was looking for the same info and kept checking here, I found a pic so here ya go...

http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z197/maleyb/Boat/DSCN09551.jpg
McM,

Thanks, but that is not a current hull LSV. My LSV is real concave in that area, so it would not be a good place for the remote. Like 04Outback, I am thinking of installing it above the rubrail so it's accessible from the sunpad as well as from the water.

Thanks,

Al

Waterski1
05-03-2008, 09:00 PM
Just wanted to say thanks to all the Moomba owners that gave advice and directions for a transom remote. I just finished adding a remote to the transom on my 2006 Outback V. The pictures, instructions and links to parts websites were a huge help. It was pretty easy to do but I did not enjoy drilling into my boat :). Anyway thanks and the kids are going to love controling the music (and loudness) while in the water swimming.