PDA

View Full Version : Adding a tower to an 05 Outback LSV

silverski
03-10-2008, 01:53 PM
I purchased an Outback LSV (now the Outback V I think) new in 05. Wasn't much of a wakeboarder but got the v-drive for the interior layout but did not put a tower on it. I now spend more time wakeboarding than skiing and the kids are old enough to benefit from the tower (my wife calls it a roll cage).

So, my questions......

When folded, how much higher than the windsheild is the tower? (will it fit in my garage?)

Can the bimini top be "converted" to a tower bimini or do I have to start over with the bimini?

Can the logo cover be modified to incorporate the tower? I seldom use the cover when towing, so would the cover fit over the boat with the tower folded down?

What are the chances that I will find a "used" tower?

Thanks for any advice you have.

zabooda
03-10-2008, 03:16 PM
Can the logo cover be modified to incorporate the tower? I seldom use the cover when towing, so would the cover fit over the boat with the tower folded down?

Yes, I had a cover modified to fit around the tower. The shop cut out inserts and made a disconnect for the draw string on each side.

zegm
03-10-2008, 03:23 PM
Not to be funny but you will only find a used tower on a used boat! Anyone who would take their tower off would depreciate the value of the boat.
Try Monster Towers!

SanMarzano
03-10-2008, 03:29 PM
x2 for Monster Tower. I put one on my old bayliner. Easy Install and looks good to

volfo
03-10-2008, 03:41 PM
I am in the same situation right now with my Outback LS.

I have determined that there are a ton of different aftermarket manufacturers. New Dimension Towers makes one that looks just like the factory OEM tower for your boat (and for mine). Their website is newdimensiontowers.com I am trying to decide between that one, and the new monster tower mt2. You can see that at monstertower.com

I'm looking for opinions between the 2. At first I wanted the New Dimension because it looks factory, but the more I looked into it, the monster mt2 looks better and more modern to me, is substantially thicker, and appears to have a better mounting base system. A poster on here in another thread who said he had an old monster tower on a used boat, then bought the Outback LSV with the factory tower, said the monster was more rigid and swayed less. Let me know what you decide.

yearround
03-10-2008, 07:01 PM
i put an air boom tower on my old boat. i preferred the functionality to that of others. the tower folded down to keep the total height low enough to fit in the standard height garage. the tower was always very solid.

i could send you a pic or two, but it was an IO, before i saw the light of the Roo.

i think that with most towers you will likely have to scrap the bimini, or have it altered. (i found preferable to have a new one made)

i used the cover only for storage, so i did not bother with having the tower legs cut in.

i know you asked for opinions between the two towers so i offered a different tower, sorry?

on the other hand, they have opened the lake for soft water! but my dealer is on vacation this week so i have to wait until next week to pick up the ride! what kind of dealer can't sell a boat! :P

SanMarzano
03-10-2008, 08:42 PM
http://www.monstertower.com/customerphotos/Moomba.htm

04OUTBACK
03-10-2008, 08:50 PM
I think New Dimension made the ones that were original to the boat you have... go to www.newdimensiontowers.com and select moomba.
It looks like the original, but they are a bit more $ than Monster, etc.

bamaspiveys
03-10-2008, 09:33 PM
I vote for the new dimension tower.

The monster tower may fold flat, but it looks aftermarket and that will impact re-sale value. The monster tower looks do not appeal to me, it reminds me of the monkeybar tower that was out a few years ago. The lines just do not flow as well as the new dimension.

my 3 cents......

silverski
03-11-2008, 09:42 AM
Thanks for the replies. The links to the pictures have been helpful. The OEM tower for that model year folds forward. I know that they changed the tower design a year or so ago and I am thinking that the new one folds back. Given that it is the same hull, I'm thinking that I could either get the older style from new dimensions or the new style from Moomba. I think both styles look good, but wondering if people have opinions about the fold forward or fold back design?

Also, it appear that the bimini that I have would still work based on the pictures and that it doesn't have to be attached to the tower?

volfo
03-11-2008, 10:48 AM
silver, I don't think that's right. I think the Outback V (which is the same boat as your pre-06 LSV) has the fold forward tower still. It appears they use 2 towers - the "old" one on the Outback and Outback V and the new one on the '06 and after LS and LSV and XLV.

I have no idea if the regular non-tower bimini works or not, but would be interested to hear.