PDA

View Full Version : Can 2001 Moomba Mobius Direct Drive Create Wake for Surfing

JoeP
03-06-2008, 01:04 PM
I am looking at a 2001 Moomba Mobius direct drive. My kids have just started to get into wake surfing (ages 8 & 10). I was curious if the 2001 Moomba Mobius direct drive with stock ballist can create a wake sufficient to wake surf? Has anyone surfed off a 2001 Moomba Mobius? Your help is greatly appreciated!

lanceswake
03-06-2008, 01:27 PM
I haven't surfed off the back of an '01 DD, but the whole concept is getting weight (or ballast, fat sacks, etc...) to the back of the boat, while typically traveling about 8- 11 mph. I think with your setup the key is going to be getting enough weight in the back, which you've got several options for doing this. Have you researched the ballast options available to you?

JoeP
03-06-2008, 01:35 PM
The boat has two built in ballaist, which I believe are stock from the factory. There is one in the front and one in the back. I do not know how much weight they deliver, but I would assume I could add additional sacks in the back. The engine is in the middle of the boat (DD), thus that does not help but provides room for ballists in the back. Do you know of a good place to research ballist options?

lanceswake
03-06-2008, 02:09 PM
Your stock ballast system might be enough for the light weight youngins if you get a couple friends to sit in the back, maybe even throw some gear in the back (anything to add weight). Remember all your wanting is weight over to one side. Adding more weight to both sides can usually work against you.

JoeP
03-06-2008, 02:38 PM
Great advice. I should be able to add an additional ballist to the storage locker in the back of the boat on one side. I should be able to get at least 300 - 400 pounds of additional weight. It could even be manual with a direct pump since it will only be used when we surf. Should I install the sack/ballist to the left rear of the boat? Most people surf behind the left side of the boat unless they are goofy foot, right?

04OUTBACK
03-06-2008, 04:18 PM
Joe,
Don't know that boat terribly well, but had an '04 Outback. i know on the 04, you were not supposed to put more than 150lb in the rear storage compartment ...
For surfing, you'll probably get a better wake by placing it on the left side of the motor on the floor. Placed there, you'll get a better weight balance.

Ed G on here surfs a ton with an Outback and he can give you some good feedback. I think he left this am for a long kayak/camp trip so he might not be able to respond until next week... Search on the board for ballast setups on surfing. there have been some posts over the last year.

My LSV has 750s in the rear lockers and does pretty good with 1 side full and a few people sitting on that side... Every hull is different and you'll have to experiment with different setups to find the best wave..

Good luck and enjoy.
B

JoeP
03-07-2008, 12:43 PM
Great Information! I believe I have the information needed to make my decision. I may post a nother thread and find out from those with 2001 Moomba Mobius DD if they enjoy their boat.

Thanks again!