PDA

View Full Version : Sirius Satellite Antenna Mount location

04OUTBACK
03-04-2008, 11:54 PM
If any of you have Sirius on your boat, where have you put the antenna? The former owner of mine just pulled it out of console and placed on dash next to glove box.. I would like to find a semi home for it. I think I am going to subscribe this summer.. Hoping they will merge with XM soon as I have XM in car/truck...

jmvotto
03-05-2008, 07:52 AM
Outback04,

I researched this a couple weeks ago looking for parts for the spring. Lots of threads that help with it. Depends if you want to drill a small hole then the option can be beween the glove box and the window. if not you can bring the wire through the fresh air vent in front of the window and use velco or dbl tick tape. Others have just pulled it out of the govebox when needed.
I read you can us the ant that comes with it but i am going with the small shakespeare marine ant sra-25 about $50.00(requires a small hole)

http://www.dogstarradios.com/shakespeare-sra25-sirius-marine-antenna.html

JV

04OUTBACK
03-05-2008, 01:58 PM
Thanks JV. I have a small magnet mount. The owners manual shows an antenna like what you showed that is put next to the glove compartment. I am curious if that keeps a good signal. If so, that would be an easy place to put mine. small hole to fit the plug and feed it through! Maybe even route it down cup holder spots...

BW

jmvotto
03-05-2008, 03:50 PM
I think it will work, fo some reason I thiought I saw the car ant mounted next to the cup holder, I guess I would test it out before you drill any. holes.

JV

cj11302000
03-18-2008, 10:04 PM
I have an 05 Outback and I put it just outside the fresh air vent by the windshield on a small piece of velcro. I then routed the wire down into the air hose and out to the receiver. It's clean and keeps a very strong signal...I've never had it lose the signal. Everyone has commented on how clean it looks.

04OUTBACK
03-18-2008, 10:18 PM
CJ, that was kinda what I was thinking... I have 2 XMs in truck / car and keep hoping the merger gos thru soon/before summer.. I want to be able to add to family plan.. not pay 12.99/mo!!

Did you cut a hole in the vent hose?

SEARK
03-19-2008, 10:03 AM
04OB,

I have the magnetic antenna and place it on the port side rear next to the storage locker. I put 2 sided tape on it to hold it there. I ran the wire down between the padding on the side then under the side of the boat. I just taped it to the conduit already in place. I did purchase the receiver that connects to the back of the kenwood radio and mounted it inside the storage area behind the passenger seat. It works great like that. I tried placing the antenna on the dash but reception was spotty at best. Change directions and lose signal. Where I have it now I have no problems.

04OUTBACK
03-19-2008, 01:44 PM
Good idea, thinking outside the box there! I think I can make that work!

btw, I rode through the village last week and will be coming through mon/tues.. making a few trips to NW Ark these days for work..
one day, I wont be in as big a hurry and I'll give you a shout..

bw

SEARK
03-19-2008, 02:01 PM
Do that. When you know when your going to have the time let me know and I'll PM you my contact info.