PDA

View Full Version : Freezing Temps Tonights!!!!

jdsharpe57
03-03-2008, 06:13 PM
How concerned should I be that we where out on the boat 2 days ago in 75 degree weather, and now we will dip just below freezing.... The boat was winterized before I took it out on Sat. but not any more. Should I be freaking out right now or is this something that as long as it isn't exposed to freezing tempatures for long should be okay?

drewdwn
03-03-2008, 06:26 PM
I live in wisconsin, and you should be fine if it only gets below freezing for the night. If it were below freezing for a couple of days then I would be a little worried. Must be nice to have been on the boat the other day. We hit 43 for the first above freezing day of the year. Today 27, over a 18 inches of ice on the lake.

smokedog2
03-03-2008, 06:59 PM
drop a trouble ligt into the engine compartment for a litlte insurance

zabooda
03-03-2008, 09:10 PM
If the duration of the freezing is short don't worrying about it. Put a light into the compartment would be fine. Nowadays, you have to define the lightbulb. A light bulb that gives off heat not the energy saver ones. With technology you can get a clock that projects on the ceiling and take the sensor and put it in the engine compartment. You can stare at the ceiling all night seeing how cold your engine got (lol). Where I live I usually get do something if the temperature is expected to dip below 28 degrees.

jdsharpe57
03-03-2008, 09:16 PM
Thanks for the posts guys I put two 75 watt light bulbs in compartment(one on each side) to be on the safe side, do you think this is too much/too little or just right?

qb12
03-03-2008, 09:22 PM
i just live north of you in tulsa.

i have done what you did many times, taking the boat out for a day when it's nice after being winterized.

big question, is the boat garaged or not.

if not, i would drain the block and mainifolds.

if so, the light bulbs will be fine...

smokedog2
03-03-2008, 11:28 PM
And heater if you have one. In a garage you will be fine.

SD2

Membrain
03-03-2008, 11:30 PM
One light should actually be enough! It has to stay cold for an extended period of time (days) before you do engine damage (cracked heads and/or block). It is 32 degrees at my place now, but it isn’t supposed to get that cold tonight. It only take a few minutes to take out the drain plugs from either side of the block though, and unhook the water hose to drain our exhaust manifolds, if you are concerned. You might make sure you have your ballast lines unhooked from your rear ballasts so that you can drain the lines and maybe even unscrew and empty your strainer on your ballast system….but with two lights under your hood, those roaches will be having a beach party tonight!

lanceswake
03-04-2008, 02:22 PM
I think it's just as easy to reach down and unscrew the two plugs on both sides of the engine block to let the water drain out.

jdsharpe57
03-04-2008, 07:00 PM
Excuse the question but I'm a newbie at this whole V-drive thing :oops:

Anyone know if I'm just missing the screws on the block to drain it? On my DD boomerang it was a peice of cake....... is there an easy way to get to them on the V-Drive?

lanceswake
03-04-2008, 08:17 PM
jd

You reached down and don't feel the bronze plug. There's one on each side of the block.

Membrain
03-04-2008, 08:25 PM
HAHA, I guess it’s too late now!?!?!?! Get your owner’s manual and look up the section where it shows you how to drain the water from your strainer, manifolds, water pump housing, and it should have it there where the drain plugs are. I think it’s in the separate little book for the engine!? My old boat was a direct drive so yours will be just the opposite if you have the same set up as mine, because the V-drive engine will sit just backwards as compared to a direct drive.

On mine, I had an electronic engine knock sensor screwed into where normally the plug would be on the engine block on the passenger side with one little wire attached to it. It is located up under the sparkplug wires and manifold in the block itself. You have to look for it. A little flashlight would be great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It takes a ¾ inch wrench to take off, but be sure to unplug the wire first or you’ll have it all knotted up when you finally get that thing out! Words of experience!! I hope you don’t have large hands!!! The other side had a brass plug that took a 7/16” socket to get out. Don’t over tighten when putting back in. I would normally put some plumbers tape around the threads of the plug when I would reinstall it so as to minimize any leaks.

Hope this helps!

davidl
03-04-2008, 10:09 PM
J-D I also live in the cold night warm day (high desert) You should be fine with a 75 watt light. I guess you could bring it inside for the night like I used to with my Harley ! Wife made that stop!!!

bobwells
03-06-2008, 02:40 PM
I use 2-100 watt bulbs in reflectors, just in case 1 bulb blows then I have a back up... it stays toasty warm... course we dont stay sub freezing for days on end down here on the south side 8)

jdsharpe57
03-06-2008, 04:35 PM
Well I can proudly say I took some time out to learn about draining this engine, I realized it was exactly the same as my 97 boomerang.....just backwards :) I had the removable engine compartment panels in the way so needless to say it made it slightly difficult at first glance and the quick disconnect for the manifold hoses..............How cool is that why hadn't they thought of that in 97'? Anyways always feels good to know that much more about the boat!