PDA

View Full Version : boat alarm

james
03-03-2008, 12:04 AM
I am looking for a decent alarm system for my moomba. Does anyone have one that they have been happy with? Wired or wireless with reasonable cost.
thanks

tazz3069
03-03-2008, 12:24 AM
I like my S&W 9MM. It works very well and is loud.

james
03-03-2008, 12:30 AM
9mm is good for on the boat. What do you use while asleep inside the house? Besides a doberman.

tazz3069
03-03-2008, 12:36 AM
The boat stays in my garage. The door is bolted and I am the only one with the key.
Tazz

james
03-03-2008, 12:04 PM
Yes that makes sense. Mine will be on the lift most of the summer. I would prefer no one messing with it so I am looking for a deterrant.

Thanks

deerfield
03-03-2008, 12:48 PM
james - The upcoming season will be the first time keeping my boat on a lift. It has a bar that drops into the wheel to block someone from lowering the boat into the water. I will run a heavy cable through a hole in the bar, locking the mechanism. No alarm. - Deerfield

JesseC
03-03-2008, 01:12 PM
I cuold not justify putting in a full blown alarm with remote and all the bells and whistles, but if you break down what an alarm is, you can build a simplified model! What I did was wired in a 12 volt car siren and hid it in front of the drivers helm between the dash and the bow cushions. I ran that wire to a relay that sends twelve volts to the siren if the ignition is switched on. There is another relay that opens and does not allow power to go to the engine. Even if somone "jumps" the ignition switch, the boat still will not start! I can not count the number of times I have tried to start the boat without flipping the secret hidden switch. My friends however love to keep count! I know this is kind of a crude alarm, but who has time to look for a way to bypass a relay or find a switch they do not know about when trying to steal your baby quickly. All a car alarm is anyway is a couple of relays controlled by a remote instead of a switch. I figure a loud noise and boat that will not start should be good enough to make someone go away and try to steal someone elses boat!!!

Membrain
03-03-2008, 11:17 PM
We had half our stereo system stolen from our ’04 LS sitting in our driveway! It was covered but the thieves put the cover back so it looked like the boat had not been touched! I burned a new CD for the summer, and went to make sure it would play, and when I pulled back the boat cover and opened the glove box, guess what! The head unit was gone, in addition to the 12” sub, two amps and a capacitor, and two alpine speakers that are mounted in the side of the boat! I started looking for an alarm system too! I also learned that you can buy a motion detection electronic surveillance system for very reasonable from Radio Shack. You can hook it up to your VCR to record the slugs so you can prosecute!