PDA

View Full Version : 2006 LSV: Draining gas tank?

Reese350
03-02-2008, 10:48 PM
Hi,

I sold my 04 Outback and upgraded to an 06 LSV late last season. The boat only has 20 hours on it in 2 seasons and 2 of them were last season (by me). It has a full tank of gas that has been in there from the previous season so I would like to get it out and start fresh this year.

I'v heard there is an access plate that gives direct access to the tank to siphon it out.

Any idea where it is on an 06 LSV?

Thanks!

ian ashton
03-02-2008, 11:13 PM
Couldn't you siphon it out via the filler tube, or is there something different from boat gas tanks to car gas tanks?

Reese350
03-02-2008, 11:16 PM
I tried to go in through the normal gas cap but I couldn't get into the tank. Maybe I just need to try again. I just figured it would be a lot easier if there was a direct access plate.

04OUTBACK
03-03-2008, 12:22 AM
Reese,
Congrats. I did the same thing last sept. (04 outback to 06 LSV)

If you pull the back seat forward and remove the fiberglass cover over the trans and ballast pumps, you should be able to access the gas tank inlet right there. Also, the fuel filter is right down in that area. Only problem with access there is it might be tough to siphon from in the boat to out of the boat (it will have to pump up hill..)
What are you planning on using to pump the fuel out? As far as I know, there is only the fuel filler hose inlet and the vent hose next to that... that will be your only access point to get fuel out... If I remember correctly, you'll be able to get to the vent hose easier than the filler hose. Vent hose is around 3/4"
You may have to pull the floor to get to the whole tank...
You'll have a ton of ant poisoning or bad lawnmower gas handy now!
Make sure you pump all that out in a well vented area.

Good luck and enjoy the LSV. We took ours out today. 1 set wakeboarding and a couple wake surfing..

Reese350
03-03-2008, 06:17 AM
Thanks for the tips. I'm not sure how I'll get it out yet. I just know I don't want to pay the $10/gallon or $400 the dealer wanted to get it out. The sales guy said it was so expensive because they have to pay to dispose of it but the technician said they just put it in the company trucks. Not cool...

I'll have to mess with it when I get it out of storage. Thanks again!

zabooda
03-03-2008, 04:58 PM
Take the line off after the fuel pump, put the line in a gas can, put power to the pump and wala. That's how I empty my tank every fall.

Reese350
03-04-2008, 06:40 AM
Thanks Zabooda, I'll give that a try when I pull it out of storage. Sounds like the most practical solution as long as everything is easily accessible.

jmvotto
03-04-2008, 07:55 AM
Forgive my Newness, but is there some type of fuel stabilizer that can be used that would not hurt the engine. I use some for My John Deere, its not an 8 cycl moomba though. Just a thought.... :idea: Wow the dealer charges that :shock: Looks like alot of work.

Buttafewcoe
03-04-2008, 08:39 AM
I believe I'd use the gas anyway. Put you a little octane booster or fuel treatment / injector / carb cleaner in it and away you go.
hope this helps
B

lanceswake
03-04-2008, 01:51 PM
I thought it was best to store the boat for the winter with a full tank anyway to minimize the amount of room in the tank for moisture to accumulate? I personally agree with butta. I think you're ok to use the fuel especially with the amount of ethanol they mix in with gas these days.

Buttafewcoe
03-04-2008, 02:45 PM
Actually, I think ethanol draws moisture in. Putting heet or a fuel treatment in should help the engine burn through it w/o much trouble.
Hope this helps
B

zabooda
03-04-2008, 03:18 PM
Ethanol changed the way gas is stored. I prefer to add stabilizer to one gallon of gas and run it through the system then stabilizing 28 gallons. In the spring, I pump the remaining gas out and any water, replace the fuel filter and put in new gas for the year.

Reese350
03-04-2008, 10:37 PM
Thanks guys. I might treat it and see how she runs in the spring before I try to pump it out. Much easier and saves me $120 worth of gas. I just wasn't sure if it would hurt the injectors and figured it would cost more than $120 to fix those.

I appreciate the input! It's snowing like crazy here tonight so it's hard to even think about spring. :(